Why do Dive Shops Sell Beanies?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, if I want to hear what anyone is saying on the surface, I have to undo the chin strap and fold up the shorter end to expose an ear. I don't like the ones with the strap on to the neck, tho - got a couple with a real chinstraps kinda like this, one neoprene black, and one polartech blue.

I do like the way they prevent excessive heat loss out of the head without anything on the neck. But then you won't ever see me outdoors without a hat or cap, either - as any country boy knows that they help prevent overheating in the summer and chilling in the winter. About as important as a jacket when it's cold out.

I liked the beanie for utilitarian reasons. Like most scuba gear, I wouldn't be caught dead in it in a non-scuba situation. Come on: bellies bulging in wetsuits; floppy clown-feet in fins; a pacifier-like reg in my mouth...the silly looking beanie is the least of my worries.

Hey Ishie, I just did my first dives with a custom Otter Bay hood. Wow, was it awesome! Big difference in warmth (12 mm), and of course it fits great because it's custom. Price was right too.

Anyway, I know you dive Monterey (because you have dove with my brother :wink:), so I thought I'd throw that out there. Sorry for the threadjack, all. Cheers! :D

Gregg

I've heard great things about Otter Bay, and was thinking of getting a hood with them, when I mentioned my hood dilemma with my LDS, and they ripped apart the back finding one that actually fit well, despite my skepticism (I adore this dive shop).

The problem with Otter Bay is the temptation to evil... I'd have to get a hood and resist the urge to put cat ears on it.

Come to think of it... I wonder if I could commission them to make a beanie with a little neoprene propeller on it for those 'warmer' days... I could even make it to match my baby blue regulator.

Tamas:
He gets ear infections/pain very easily simply by the exhaled bubbles rushing by his ears creating a pressure difference and drawing water in or upsetting the inner drum. When a normal hood is too warm to wear, he uses a beanie to block off the bubbles from his ears.....so far soo god with no ear problems.

This is the exact reason I'm going to wear one. The bubbles rushing past my ear causes some bad pain. =\

LMAO, I forgot about this thread!

If you're beanie is too tight, the strap will give you neck buttocks.

This has probably been said before...in 5 pages of posts. But I wear mine if I'm not wearing a full hood because it keeps my long hair the heck OUT of the way! and keeps it from getting tangled around my mask strap, etc. (of course I have the strap cover doohickey but everything helps.)

So, why do Dive Shops Sell Beanies?!

Do you wear a beanie Raisin?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom