Why DIY?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes between the balance chamber and the adjustment knob. It worked but breathed very hard (compared to how it should).
Out of curiosity, I put a G250 together that way. Breathes better than I would have expected.

@buddhasummer If it does turn out you need replacement, I have a few versions of G250 on hand and could probably get one to you (or even just a case) at a much better price than giving away a new G250V. Hopefully the responsibility will fall on the person or entity who botched the job or got mixed up though. Sounds like you tried to be helpful and ended up with the short end of the stick.

I made an online purchase of a "serviced" S600 for my wife last year from a SP authorized dealer, upon arrival it was clear the regulator had not been opened up for some time. They accepted responsibility with partial refund plus a couple service kits, but yet another example of Why DIY?.

Out of curiosity, I put a G250 together that way. Breathes better than I would have expected.

@buddhasummer If it does turn out you need replacement, I have a few versions of G250 on hand and could probably get one to you (or even just a case) at a much better price than giving away a new G250V. Hopefully the responsibility will fall on the person or entity who botched the job or got mixed up though. Sounds like you tried to be helpful and ended up with the short end of the stick.

I made an online purchase of a "serviced" S600 for my wife last year from a SP authorized dealer, upon arrival it was clear the regulator had not been opened up for some time. They accepted responsibility with partial refund plus a couple service kits, but yet another example of Why DIY?.

Thanks for the offer Dustin. The owner of the reg is a very lovely older Japanese man, he speaks almost zero English and I almost zero Japanese but we have a good relationship despite the language barrier. He is single, works 7 days a week to support his very old, sick parents, he has no money. Without a reg he can't dive.

I feel bad because the moment I looked at it I should have said take it back but instead attempted to open it causing the case to break. I really want to do what I can to get him a reg again as diving is his only thing outside of work and caring for his parents. If I was in a better financial position I'd happily gift him a G250V I'm sure my Karma bank needs some deposits.

I've been trying to find a used one on our auction site but I think my G250 trip of a couple of years ago when I was buying them all has resulted in the current high prices being asked.

I need a case, jam nut and barrel or just a complete G250 in serviceable condition as I'll just service it and update at my expense. Anything you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

By the way your parts will be in my hands within the hour, I'll ship today and advise tracking info.

Thanks again for the offer of assistance, greatly appreciated. Cheers.,

Yes between the balance chamber and the adjustment knob. It worked but breathed very hard (compared to how it should). I caught it but obviously the service tech that did my wifes before the Solomon trip didn`t. She was a relatively new diver and really didn`t have a baseline to compare.

In my early G250 days I did something similar installing one part of a two part balance chamber upside down causing me to seat the spring incorrectly.

I certainly don't think you should even consider giving the owner of that POS a new G250V. If you were charging him for a service, perhaps a small compensation for the broken case. Show him what you've shown us and explain he either got hoodwinked by the service facility or was he was very remiss in his duty as the owner.

I was going to service it for free.

A big thank you to @rhwestfall @Kupu
@Brian G all of whom offered regulators for my friend. I now have one on the way.

Honestly, the kindness brought a tear to my eye. There are still amazing people among us. Thanks again guys. It's his 60th birthday January 28th he'll be so happy and appreciative as am I.

Merry Christmas.

Simon, though ultimately it isn't my offer being the one, I want to see a picture posted here of your friend diving his replacement reg (anticipate a big smile!). Good on all you guys who came to the plate to help!

A big thank you to @rhwestfall @Kupu
@Brian G all of whom offered regulators for my friend. I now have one on the way.

Honestly, the kindness brought a tear to my eye. There are still amazing people among us. Thanks again guys. It's his 60th birthday January 28th he'll be so happy and appreciative as am I.

Merry Christmas.
I didn’t know the guy was so young...

The owner of the reg is a very lovely older Japanese man...

I didn’t know the guy was so young...

You beat me to it--guess I'm a lovely older diver too, having surpassed 6 decades! Way to take care of your friend Simon!

I really miss living in Japan and my Japanese diving friends. Likely heading back to Okinawa for a visit next year, though.

You beat me to it--guess I'm a lovely older diver too! Way to take care of your friend Simon!

I really miss living in Japan and my Japanese diving friends. Likely heading back to Okinawa for a visit next year, though.

Keep me posted if you make it back here, a good friend of mine works at a dive shop in Okinawa, I could hook you up and if the stars align even come down for some diving. Best diving Japan and some of the best diving I've ever done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom