Buddy near OOA heavy current

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Boarderguy I know you've given your reasons for not wanting to double up, but can you refresh my memory? I am a big advocate for doubles, but I also don't care what people dive with. Dive and let dive and all that. Just curious as to your why's?

Good on you for keeping a level head and learning something. Current can be wicked.

@Boarderguy I know you've given your reasons for not wanting to double up, but can you refresh my memory? I am a big advocate for doubles, but I also don't care what people dive with. Dive and let dive and all that. Just curious as to your why's?

Good on you for keeping a level head and learning something. Current can be wicked.
1) I'm very comfortable with my 100s and 119s with a back mounted pony.
2) I always take 1 size up from my buddy (unless they have a pony or doubles) so I have plenty of back gas as a just incase.
3) I'm cheap and haven't bought the dive rite modular valves for the manifold and bands I have sitting on my shelf. Once I do that I'll double up my 100s and put together another BP/W for them (again being cheap).
4) most of my dives are sub 60 minutes so the added gas isn't of great benefit yet
5) my deco dives usually clear otw up or are competed within 5 minutes of hitting 10-20 ft.
6) I haven't paid the padi tax to get deco gas so longer deco dives aren't in the cards.

2) I always take 1 size up from my buddy (unless they have a pony or doubles) so I have plenty of back gas as a just incase.
4) most of my dives are sub 60 minutes so the added gas isn't of great benefit yet

You ended the dive with 30cuft gas total across both of you, 20cuft in the 100, 4cuft in the pony and 6 in the AL80. It sounds like just a little bit of extra delay would have had you OOG in your pony and getting really close on the 100. So I'm not sure you had "plenty" of gas or that the extra gas wouldn't have been of benefit specially considering you do not feel like the surface is a safe option.

You ended the dive with 30cuft gas total across both of you, 20cuft in the 100, 4cuft in the pony and 6 in the AL80. It sounds like just a little bit of extra delay would have had you OOG in your pony and getting really close on the 100. So I'm not sure you had "plenty" of gas or that the extra gas wouldn't have been of benefit specially considering you do not feel like the surface is a safe option.
He had an hp 80 but that's splitting hairs at this point. I had another 7 minutes of air on the pony. I know that because I went back out and breathed it dry looking for my light. I still had another 10-15 minutes on my 100 based on my sac AND using a scooter. Delay would have been negligible and both of us shooting our dsmb. I appreciate you doing the math for me though.

3) I'm cheap and haven't bought the dive rite modular valves for the manifold and bands I have sitting on my shelf. Once I do that I'll double up my 100s and put together another BP/W for them (again being cheap).
5) my deco dives usually clear otw up or are competed within 5 minutes of hitting 10-20 ft.
6) I haven't paid the padi tax to get deco gas so longer deco dives aren't in the cards.
What is the PADI tax? I thought that most switch over to the TDI tax (when starting to do deco stuff)?

Slack tide was around 0730-0800 of I remember correctly. The dive SHOULD have been done then but my buddy had dove it before with no scooter and had no issues. Maybe he was lucky before. Today dive briefing and buddy trust prevailed.
I would be terrified to dive in the Puget Sound without careful attention to current tables.

I would be terrified to dive in the Puget Sound without careful attention to current tables.
I trusted my buddy as I wasn't familiar with the site. He reassured the plan was good and was proven wrong. I now chastise him whenever he pulls his 80s out of the truck. Most sites out here you can get away with diving whenever. There are quite a few that I don't do without a scooter and near slack.

Great post and super glad that all turned out well... Sorry about the light!

Funny thing is that I didn't notice that this was an older thread from Nov of 2022......I actually thought it was TODAY....LOL. I checked my tide log for today and there's almost a 12ft exchange and a splash at 0950 would have been right at about peak ebb and 3.5 to 4 knots!

Bottom line is **** happens and you handled it well! I always say that you can practice and train all day on the range but no-one really knows for sure exactly how they'll react when the bullets are coming the other direction.

I pretty much dive your exact set-up with the difference being that I use a back mount 19cf pony valve side up, dedicated reg and fully charged during my dives. I do have an SPG tethered to my 2nd stage so I can monitor pony pressure in real time during a dive and more importantly during an emergency....

I also dive an Air 2. Even though I consider myself a solo diver and am configured for it, that doesn't mean that I always dive alone... So the Air 2 gives me double access to my primary back gas....which is usually also an HP Steel 102. I have 120's but usually only use those off the boat.....and they came in real handy when teaching to get multiple OW dives without swapping tanks. There were times down in Cove 2 where the vis was so bad that I'd take out students one at time with a DM for OW dives. Thank god for relief zippers!

PS..... I also have a 13cf pony for travel and bring along my transfill whip..

Pic of my dedicated pony reg..

xwcxhDU.jpg

Great post and super glad that all turned out well... Sorry about the light!

Funny thing is that I didn't notice that this was an older thread from Nov of 2022......I actually thought it was TODAY....LOL. I checked my tide log for today and there's almost a 12ft exchange and a splash at 0950 would have been right at about peak ebb and 3.5 to 4 knots!

Bottom line is **** happens and you handled it well! I always say that you can practice and train all day on the range but no-one really knows for sure exactly how they'll react when the bullets are coming the other direction.

I pretty much dive your exact set-up with the difference being that I use a back mount 19cf pony valve side up, dedicated reg and fully charged during my dives. I do have an SPG tethered to my 2nd stage so I can monitor pony pressure in real time during a dive and more importantly during an emergency....

I also dive an Air 2. Even though I consider myself a solo diver and am configured for it, that doesn't mean that I always dive alone... So the Air 2 gives me double access to my primary back gas....which is usually also an HP Steel 102. I have 120's but usually only use those off the boat.....and they came in real handy when teaching to get multiple OW dives without swapping tanks. There were times down in Cove 2 where the vis was so bad that I'd take out students one at time with a DM for OW dives. Thank god for relief zippers!

PS..... I also have a 13cf pony for travel and bring along my transfill whip..

Pic of my dedicated pony reg..

xwcxhDU.jpg

I love the Air2 for rec divers, the simplicity really but I thought about that second available reg thing...

I almost had to hold mine in my mouth to use it comfortably - if my main reg free flowed, I'd fold that line over to slow the flow with one hand then would have to hold the air2 with my second hand - I'm not very good with my feet so I thought better of it anything outside of shallower rec diving lol...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom