Buddy near OOA heavy current

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boarderguy

Chief Narctopus Wrangler
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Diving Fox Island today with 1 scooter between 2 divers, our normal habit, and followed my buddies decision to not be concerned with current. We should have been wet NLT 0800 but splashed at 0950. Current was ripping and we'd planned to scooter out to mid bridge and drift through. We'd then work our way back going pillar to pillar enjoying the sights. All was fine until we turned back to leapfrog the pillars. Buddy and I are both at 2000 psi. Current flow was near peak by this time and we were being blown away even with the scooter. I took over driving and was able to work our way to the the second pillar of 8 when my buddy starts hammering my leg. He shows 600 psi on his DC and I'm still at 1700. I tell him at 300 you go on my long hose. I'm watching my air and at 1500 I go to my air2 and start wagging my primary behind me for him to grab. He grabs it and I go to my pony so he can have all my back gas. We keep working back to shore over the next 10 minutes. We surface with 700 on my 100 and 250 on his 80. My pony (13cf) still has 1000 psi. During debrief he told me his reg wasn't fully closing on exhale in the current. He's been diving for 30+ years and has numerous accolades. He's a great buddy and I'm glad we dive together often because there was zero debate or questions on procedure. He knew my pony is turned off and wouldn't be of use of he hadn't signaled low air. Normally I dive my 119s but wanted to save that for our 2nd dive. Since we burned my pony I thumbed our 2nd. Additionally during this sht show my camera light mount broke and I lost my damn light...

So was the current hitting the front of his reg dead on?
Hard from the east > west and we were traversing south. Had to go into the current to stay on the right path with how hard it was pushing. Current in red, our general path in orange.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221119_155535.jpg
    Screenshot_20221119_155535.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 109
Diving Fox Island today with 1 scooter between 2 divers, our normal habit, and followed my buddies decision to not be concerned with current. We should have been wet NLT 0800 but splashed at 0950. Current was ripping and we'd planned to scooter out to mid bridge and drift through. We'd then work our way back going pillar to pillar enjoying the sights. All was fine until we turned back to leapfrog the pillars. Buddy and I are both at 2000 psi. Current flow was near peak by this time and we were being blown away even with the scooter. I took over driving and was able to work our way to the the second pillar of 8 when my buddy starts hammering my leg. He shows 600 psi on his DC and I'm still at 1700. I tell him at 300 you go on my long hose. I'm watching my air and at 1500 I go to my air2 and start wagging my primary behind me for him to grab. He grabs it and I go to my pony so he can have all my back gas. We keep working back to shore over the next 10 minutes. We surface with 700 on my 100 and 250 on his 80. My pony (13cf) still has 1000 psi. During debrief he told me his reg wasn't fully closing on exhale in the current. He's been diving for 30+ years and has numerous accolades but still thinks his hp 80s are appropriate sized tanks. He's a great buddy and I'm glad we dive together often because there was zero debate or questions on procedure. He knew my pony is turned off and wouldn't be of use of he hadn't signaled low air. Normally I dive my 119s but wanted to save that for our 2nd dive. Since we burned my pony I thumbed our 2nd. Additionally during this sht show my camera light mount broke and I lost my damn light...
Probably stating the obvious but current is probably not dependent on the time you splashed but rather the state of the tide at when you splashed and obviously this changes each day as it is based on lunar cycles, however this may not be understood my some.

Glad all worked out well

Probably stating the obvious but current is probably not dependent on the time you splashed but rather the state of the tide at when you splashed and obviously this changes each day as it is based on lunar cycles, however this may not be understood my some.

Glad all worked out well
Slack tide was around 0730-0800 of I remember correctly. The dive SHOULD have been done then but my buddy had dove it before with no scooter and had no issues. Maybe he was lucky before. Today dive briefing and buddy trust prevailed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom