Why breathe from a long hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll try the no snorkle thing with the mask, I'm pretty sure it wasn't stuck in the hood as I darn near removed my hood while diving to try to ensure nothing was trapping it. Snorkle I usually just use to get around kelp and to see how bad my mask is going to leak this time, lol.
I guess you get everything dialed in the more you dive, and the more time I'm not spending trying to clear my mask the more time I can spend working on other techniques and skills.
The salt water makes my eyes all red, too, want to try to avoid any more of that.
This is a good thread, hate to hijack it with my mask/snorkle issue :)

I say in boat diving you can pretty much leave the snorkel behind and have no second thoughts. I think ive only used my snorkel for classes when shore diving.

As an interesting fact, in my Wreck Specialty class we were specifically instructed to not bring the snorkel with us as it posed a potential hangup hazard when doing a penetration dive. If anyone's been in a PADI class you know they are Pro Snorkel so this was amusing to me.

Snorkel - I think I have a fold up one somewhere - just to use in case a dolphin shows up on surface intervals in the tropics.

Ditched the snorkel off my mask just after OW & only picked it back up when class demanded it. There was that one skill in rescue class that seemed aweful useful. How to blow bubbles while switching from the reg to snorkel! Why did I have to spend 10 minutes learning that ??? :confused:

I'll echo the others: any mask that dosn't leak is awesome!

Hey Kathy,

I'm interested in knowing the connection between dolphins and snorkels? I don't get it? What am I missing? Is it to go stealth on them, sneak up on them with the snorkel and then blow out the snorkel like a dolphin?

Hey Kathy,

I'm interested in knowing the connection between dolphins and snorkels? I don't get it? What am I missing? Is it to go stealth on them, sneak up on them with the snorkel and then blow out the snorkel like a dolphin?

Dolphins and snorkels - great in the warm water of Utilia Honduras. It's so fun to hop off the boat during surface intervals into deep blue water with a snorkel and mask and swim with the dolphin - the sounds are amazing! It's also fun to slip into the water with snorkels to check out the whale sharks ;-) One time we chased after a pilot whale - but never caught it.

After a long day of diving, if you haven't had enough time in the water yet - it's fun to drop the tanks & take a sunset snorkel along the beach - I can deffiantely recommend the snorkeling in Bunakan Sulewesi Indonesia :D!

Ahh life in the tropics :cool2: I always toss my fold-up snorkel in my dive bag - just in case!
If dive conditions suggested it could be useful on a dive - I might even carry it in my pocket - but that hasn't happened yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I take a snorkel on all my Mexican cave diving trips.

No, really, I DO.

It's because Kirk and I spent a lovely afternoon after Cave 1, swimming in the bay at Puerto Aventuras and watching all the critters in the little coral heads. But we didn't have snorkels, so it was breath-hold swimming, and got a little carbon-dioxide intense at times :) So I take a snorkel, in case we have another beautiful, calm day when I'm taking some time off from the caves.

Well, then I guess it's settled. No more pink snorkle. A non-leaking pink mask, with no matching snorkle. One less thing to get caught on kelp.

I vote for the snorkel. On many of my dives I've had a long surface swim. Usually on the way out, but sometimes on the way back. Often through kelp (in both directions -- go figure). I'd rather use my snorkel than use up my gas.

My last dive was under the wharf where entanglement was a likely hazard. I left my snorkel behind. I felt naked. :frown: Given how easy and scary monofilament entanglement can be, I'd probably still leave the snorkel behind next time I dive those conditions, but I'm not ready to give it up in kelp or even on the boat dives. I just feel more comfortable having it available if I need it, like when the boat is not as close as I thought it would be, or I'm waiting in large swells for others to get on the boat.

I've thought about getting a pocket snorkel, but so far I find I use mine too much. Maybe I'll switch after I have more experience.

Long hose and snorkels dont mix! :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom