Why breathe from a long hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will digress. I won't say they didn't know what they were doing, but they were not Doing It Right.

I don't consider Peter's site mandatory authority either, but I will say that zip-tied bungie necklaces were recommended to me (and it was suggested that I change my double-fisherman's knots to zipties) by my instructors from both 5thD-X (2008) and GUE (2009).

On second thought, I'm sorry I got into quibbling about such a minuscule detail. This makes nobody look good.

Why - whats wrong with the rubber ones ??

They seem inherently "safer" than the homemade bungee things that won't release the regulator and can choke you if they get caught.

I have not tried either - just trying to understand the risks vs. benefits.

(I am very leery of having anything wrapped around my neck when diving, jumping off of boats etc.) :shocked2:

I've tried all three methods listed, the bungie necklace secured to the mouthpiece with zipties, the bungee necklace with the fishermans knot and a home made version of the surgical tubing necklace.

I personally didn't care for either of the bungee methods. The one that is permanently attached to the reg is a pain in the :mooner: for a lot of different reasons and I personally recommend against it.

The fishermans knot was marginal to me, I just didnt care for it much.

The one I made using automotive vacuum hose and a couple of zip ties is very similar to the silicone ones sold commercially. So far, it has been my favorite for fit, comfort, reg positioning and ease of deployment. I've been using the exact same one for about 6 years now.

Believe me when I say - Every "DIR" diver I know, configures their backup the same way. All GUE/UTD trained. So, where exactly did you get *your* information?

Fair Enough. Every "DIR" Diver I dive with doesn't use the ziptie method for their's. I have a couple of friends that are GUE (3-4) and none of them do either. I wonder if it is more instructor based and therefore area based.

In my personal opinion though, I cannot see any valid arguements as to tie wrapping the second versus using a releasable bungie. If you look at the chances of snagging your your bungied second I would think it low, however. If it does snag though I, again personally, wouldn't want it pulling on too hard without releasing and possibly damaging my backup. If the backup can release it is less likely to incur damage.

I've tried all three methods listed, the bungie necklace secured to the mouthpiece with zipties, the bungee necklace with the fishermans knot and a home made version of the surgical tubing necklace.

I personally didn't care for either of the bungee methods. The one that is permanently attached to the reg is a pain in the :mooner: for a lot of different reasons and I personally recommend against it.

The fishermans knot was marginal to me, I just didnt care for it much.

The one I made using automotive vacuum hose and a couple of zip ties is very similar to the silicone ones sold commercially. So far, it has been my favorite for fit, comfort, reg positioning and ease of deployment. I've been using the exact same one for about 6 years now.

I have seen a few people like that. Same concept as the others, just another way of creating it.

Why do they suck? My current config with the octo clipped hooked to the upper D ring kinda sucks, the octo never seems to be where I want it, and I fiddle with it several times during a dive to make sure it stays in a good place.

Because you cannot adjust them if they are too loose or too tight, if the reg opening is off then you can't fix and why pay $6.95 for something you can make for under $1.50?

If you want one I can make you one... or call me and I'll talk you thru it. (If it makes you feel better to spend more money on it you can buy me lunch :) )

Because you cannot adjust them if they are too loose or too tight, if the reg opening is off then you can't fix and why pay $6.95 for something you can make for under $1.50?

If you want one I can make you one... or call me and I'll talk you thru it. (If it makes you feel better to spend more money on it you can buy me lunch :) )

Heres a picture of the one I made. Some vacuum tubing and a couple of zip ties. Kept the zip ties loose til I decided exactly how snug I wanted the necklace to be, then tightened and clipped everything short.

DSCI0200.jpg

DSCI0201.jpg

Cave Diver that's pretty nice work there and it's almost the same as the bungie-fishermans knot style that I'm used to...

To the OP we're really splitting hairs here... minutia. Ben if you want to try the rig out or if you want a bungie necklace let me or Gombessa know I'm sure we'll run into you at Lobos sooner or later

Cave Diver that's pretty nice work there and it's almost the same as the bungie-fishermans knot style that I'm used to...

To the OP we're really splitting hairs here... minutia. Ben if you want to try the rig out or if you want a bungie necklace let me or Gombessa know I'm sure we'll run into you at Lobos sooner or later

Thanks. Not much too it really. The nice thing is that its adjusted to my neck/head size, where I like my backup to fall while I'm diving and the amount of tension I prefer to hold the reg in place.

Its also not as abrasive on a bare, sunburned neck after several days of WWW diving in the caribbean. :D

Yep, I've got so much extra bungee and zipties in my save-a-dive toolbox that I could probably make 5 or 6 of these in any style you want :) I probably have an old backup necklace sitting in there as well (one of my instructors said that she often carried a backup necklace around cause Essentials students have a way of losing them during class--imo even more evidence that your higher priority concern should be having it come apart rather than trap you :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom