Why breathe from a long hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kathy,

When your knots untied, did you have the ends burnt? Did you add superglue to the knots? Dolphin Scuba showed me how to burn the ends on my bungie and add just a dab of superglue to the ends.

My bungie is going on about 50 dives, all in Monterey with still no unraveling. :)

Yes yes yes, my save a dive kit contains some of this special knot fluid and it is the only way to go!

Kathy,

When your knots untied, did you have the ends burnt? Did you add superglue to the knots? Dolphin Scuba showed me how to burn the ends on my bungie and add just a dab of superglue to the ends.My bungie is going on about 50 dives, all in Monterey with still no unraveling. :)

The ends did not unravel, simply the knot came undone. I melted the ends and used the double fishermans knot but no superglue (good idea). I think the bungee was slightly softer and smaller diameter than the one I have now.
My new one appears stronger, stiffer & I like it much better. I extended the old 1/8" knot tails to 1/4" on the new one which will probably make a difference

I seem to recall one of the knots on the old bungee came apart last summer somewhere around it's 90th dive then again at some point - maybe around it's 50th dive (but both times it was pre-dive on the surface).

Sometimes I'd go to do a drill and find the knot or bungee with my lips as it had shifted, it was only slightly annoying - probably just didn't tighten it enough before the dive, maybe the bungee was too stretchy -the new one doesn't do it - but I only dove the new one about 15 times.

May try some of these other necklace methods though -- just for kicks.

How long do the plastic zip ties last? I've never used zip ties on my gear

I see others do it but it seems kinda flimsy.

How long do the plastic zip ties last? I've never used plastic on my gear -seems kinda flimsy.

I have been using my same necklace for years. I have mine, made out of bungee cord, set to pull off, much like Cave Divers, but the only time it ever has was when I bone headed it and forgot to remove it when taking my tank off. Zip Ties come in different grades. The ones from Harbor Freight are super cheesy and I buy them by the hundreds for many projects. For good quality zip ties you have to go somewhere like Home Depot and look for the ones that have a stainless catch on them. They cost more, but hold probably 3 times better.

Also when you go to cut the end off use a razor blade or flush cutters so there is no sharp edge.

Oh and as for lasting vehicles come from the factory with Zip Ties under the hood and after 100's of thousands of miles in the heat still hold what they need too.

Also when you go to cut the end off use a razor blade or flush cutters so there is no sharp edge.

Nail clippers work well.

There is also a ziptie gun that tightens and cuts the ziptie... only costs a few bux too.

Something like this
Economy Cable Tie Gun

$44! :shocked2:

I'll stick to my $ .99 walmart nail clippers!

Heh. The zip tie guns work quite well. They are expensive, but invaluable if you have to tighten a tie around a mouthpiece, because they bring the tie to maximum tension and cut it clean.

Look for yardsales were you see lots of techie type stuff for sale, computer cables and such. It's the sort of tool you buy, lose, replace, find, etc.So you sometimes see a few for sale. I bought mine for three bucks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom