Why are women going tech?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dreamdive

Contributor
Reaction score
I would love to hear from other women "techies", what got them into it. Women are a minority in diving but we are particularly a minority in technical diving. I would also love to hear from the "non-techie" woman why she would never consider going tech. Looking forward to hearing from you all:)

Claudia

I would love to hear from other women "techies", what got them into it. Women are a minority in diving but we are particularly a minority in technical diving. I would also love to hear from the "non-techie" woman why she would never consider going tech. Looking forward to hearing from you all:)

Claudia
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess it's to see things that exceed recreational limits.

Women are not "going tech". They have been tech since the early days of what could be called technical diving. Look up Evelyn Dudas. I met her a few years ago at DEMA. Great lady who was diving the Doria in 1967.

I'm going to go even further out on a limb and suggest that if you asked the same question about why people in general go into tech diving and didn't know who posted what response, you would not be able to tell the male responses from the female responses.

I run tech diving charters. I don't really see a big difference percentage-wise in the ratio of male to female divers vs. male and female tech divers. I do see women transitioning to rebreathers faster than men tend to because of the weight.

A woman I know asked me if I wanted to be on a panel at TechWeek. The panel was about how to make a living at blogging. One of the panelists couldn’t make it. She wanted to know if I would fill in. Sure, I said. I know I’m at the right place when I get off the train, and the guy in front of me is wearing khaki shorts with white socks pulled up to his mid-calves and carrying a laptop.

It's called passion, love, addiction or anything else that works for you!!

I started with rec diving because friends did and I was tired of siting on the beach alone. My first words to my OW instructor was that I have no intention of exceeding 18m (60ft). I now cave and push 300+ft dives. During 2013 I only did 9 recreational dives, the rest was all technical.

I call it PASSION

I was a fairly new open water diver when I fell totally in love with photos and videos of the Mexican caves. I spent three years building skills to do cave training, and those included doing some open water technical work.

I don't know about other places, but in Seattle, there are TONS of female tech divers. I personally know three GUE Tech 2 women, and even more cave certified women, and of course, Mel Clark, who is a very well known tech and cave rebreather instructor, lives in Seattle.

My aow instructors were a couple and the woman was so nice and an impressive cave diver, they got me frog kicking before I knew what tech diving was. They introduced me to technical diving a little and then I came to Florida for some open water check out dives during my dm and I was hooked.

I was a fairly new open water diver when I fell totally in love with photos and videos of the Mexican caves. I spent three years building skills to do cave training, and those included doing some open water technical work.

I don't know about other places, but in Seattle, there are TONS of female tech divers. I personally know three GUE Tech 2 women, and even more cave certified women, and of course, Mel Clark, who is a very well known tech and cave rebreather instructor, lives in Seattle.
You wouldn't know Mel lived in Seattle if the amount of time she spends in Central/North Florida were any indication.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom