Why are women going tech?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello, the only thing that has deterred me from considering tech is the weight. I am kind of petite (5'4", 120 lbs) and have enough of a hard time with a normal tank (I am in Miami so I most often time warm weather), and can't imagine the weight of a double tank, especially trying to climb back up on a boat after a dive (or two). Is this a normal concern and how do other women get around it? Of course, more squats in the gym, but I have spoke to several about smaller tank configuration, etc. but wondering what you all do.... with kind regards

Remember that it is all weightless under water.

I have done tech dives with women smaller than you. That includes women putting double tanks on their backs. Some of them, however, use side mounted doubles. The woman with whom I do my cave diving in Mexico is significantly smaller than you, and she is a side mounted diver. The first time I dived with her, though, she was back mounted. When I had some health issues prior to a trip, she offered to carry my doubles down to the dive site for me if I was having trouble. My pride was not going to let that happen!

See if a shop near you offers anything like an introduction to doubles pool session. Give it a try!

Hello, the only thing that has deterred me from considering tech is the weight. I am kind of petite (5'4", 120 lbs) and have enough of a hard time with a normal tank (I am in Miami so I most often time warm weather), and can't imagine the weight of a double tank, especially trying to climb back up on a boat after a dive (or two). Is this a normal concern and how do other women get around it? Of course, more squats in the gym, but I have spoke to several about smaller tank configuration, etc. but wondering what you all do.... with kind regards

According to my licence, I'm 5'3" (in reality i'm 5'3" first thing in the morning if, and only if, I have a really good stretch before getting out of bed) and about your weight. I dive twin 12s (which i think are about the same as HP100s) with a 7 litre ali stage (which i think is equivalent to an ali 63). Twin 12s are the most common twinsets you will see in the UK. It easily weighs nearly as much as I do (more if you add the stage) but, I can move it around, lift it, lug it, carry it all etc. I can even get out of the water with the stage still attached and wander about. Not the easiest of things to do, but it's possible. Ladders aren't the most fun, but luckily, unless I'm on a rib, all the boats in this neck of the woods have a diver lift.
Saying all this, I lift, swim, run, and generally work out fairly regularly. You need to be fit and have a bit of physical strength as well. My other half is a professional dancer, and her cardio fitness is better than mine, but it's hilarious to watch her try to move my twinset. Get in the gym and start lifting.

I run tech diving charters. I don't really see a big difference percentage-wise in the ratio of male to female divers vs. male and female tech divers. I do see women transitioning to rebreathers faster than men tend to because of the weight.
just curious, do you see more ladies getting bent?

That question surprised me! I think men and women should have the same motivations to go into tech. Although I may concede that some men may feel like it's something they should do... and have the card to show off, but I hope instructors notice those.

I guess the real question you're asking is why women don't go into tech, or at least it appears less than men. Is it really the case?

Greetings Claudia hope you have gotten some replies that you were looking for.
One of my primary dive buddies is a excellent diver who dives AM configuration and also cave dives.
She is a tough as nails lady having every disc in her back fused but her joints she has some pain from time to time but is determined / focused.
The weight is not as big of a deterrent as one thinks it really is about what you want to do.
My other female friends are amazing divers some are down right incredible in skills and tough to keep up with.

The gulf in Tech divers male female is a interesting trend to study.
I know and meet great new female divers every trip to FL.
Tech diving is not for everybody and the reasons why you want to dive very personal as well as individual.
Hope to meet you one day.
If you start down the Tech path train well, focus on your goals and choose not to limit yourself.
You will be amazed at where you end up!

CamG

Hello Janie and thank you for your post!

I do think the weight issue is an "issue" with us female divers less so than with male divers. I started out on doubles and finally found my way to rebreathers. Some units weigh significantly less than doubles without compensating for size of tanks (for weight) and time spent diving. Like you suggested, I worked on leg presses in the gym and strapped on the tanks to walk them up and down stairs. Fortunately, I don't have to stress my knees like that anymore with the rebreather.

For you women wondering about the need to do strengthening exercises to do tech diving...

Men need to do it, too. At least I do.

just curious, do you see more ladies getting bent?

Interesting question and I wonder what prompted you to ask it? Perusing DCS studies from the last 14 years, there is no correlation between gender and DCS.

Fill me in on your thought process.

Thanks, Claudia

---------- Post added March 26th, 2014 at 01:17 PM ----------

That question surprised me! I think men and women should have the same motivations to go into tech. Although I may concede that some men may feel like it's something they should do... and have the card to show off, but I hope instructors notice those.

I guess the real question you're asking is why women don't go into tech, or at least it appears less than men. Is it really the case?

Yes, it appears that way! I have some prelim numbers from one training agency. Wookie states that he does not see it on his dive boat but I see it on the dive boats here and at events like Innerspace, Grand Cayman. At least in recreational diving, the ratio between male : female is roughly 3:1.

Although the motivations might be similar, other considerations without introducing gender bias might be there, as well. I tell you that one of my motivators is not one of a man's. "I show them!" Being told that I am a woman (whatever that means) and too weak and less capable to dive tech got me sufficiently pissed off……ah, excuse me, …. motivated to proof otherwise. This is in ADDITION to my desire to go deeper, longer, and cave.

Thank you for your response.

Claudia

---------- Post added March 26th, 2014 at 01:20 PM ----------

For you women wondering about the need to do strengthening exercises to do tech diving...

Men need to do it, too. At least I do.

LOL John! Considering the size of divers on dive boats lately……..I think we all benefit from staying fit! Thank you!

Interesting question and I wonder what prompted you to ask it? Perusing DCS studies from the last 14 years, there is no correlation between gender and DCS.

Fill me in on your thought process.

Thanks, Claudia

in my experience it seems to be the case, but i was wondering what someone who sees a lot of tech divers coming and going is seeing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom