Why are physicians not ordering annual Stool Tests?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The follow-up to a positive Cologuard test is a colonoscopy so just skip the middle man. Also the stool tests might not show precancerous polyps that would be easily removed during a colonoscopy.
^^^^ This. The cologuard tests detect cancer and claim a 92% detection rate. A colonoscopy can remove polyps prior to them becoming cancerous. Knowing three people who died of colon cancer, and a family member who had a precancerous polyp removed, I'll take the colonoscopy any day.

Up here our National Health Service sends me a test kit annually, of which I just do the deed and then send it back in the provided post paid envelope. They test and notify our GP if there is any concern.
Easy Peasy.
On a side note, it feels somewhat satisfying to imagine I am sending my gov't an envelope containing ..... :wink: :)

I've had 4 so far. My first resulted in a colonectomy surgery to remove a polyp too large for endoscopic removal. My last one, just 4 weeks ago, I paid cash for since I quit paying for insurance. Fortunately, when you pay cash there are no additional lab charges or polyp removal expenses added afterwards. . Cost for cash procedure was $1490 .
I'll be 65 next year so I'm only risking one more year without insurance, but I was sick of paying for coverage that really wasn't doing anything, but draining my wallet. Last years total medical expenditure was $465 including my yearly physical. This year should end up being less than $2000.
Just don't do what my wife did and skip those colonoscopies as she now has stage 4 colon cancer because she didn't want to do the prep. I'd rather endure one evening fasting and flushing than what she is going through daily!!
By the way, she had done multiple cologuard tests over the years with all negative results....... they suck!!

I've had 4 so far. My first resulted in a colonectomy surgery to remove a polyp too large for endoscopic removal. My last one, just 4 weeks ago, I paid cash for since I quit paying for insurance. Fortunately, when you pay cash there are no additional lab charges or polyp removal expenses added afterwards. . Cost for cash procedure was $1490 .
I'll be 65 next year so I'm only risking one more year without insurance, but I was sick of paying for coverage that really wasn't doing anything, but draining my wallet. Last years total medical expenditure was $465 including my yearly physical. This year should end up being less than $2000.
Just don't do what my wife did and skip those colonoscopies as she now has stage 4 colon cancer because she didn't want to do the prep. I'd rather endure one evening fasting and flushing than what she is going through daily!!
By the way, she had done multiple cologuard tests over the years with all negative results....... they suck!!

Problem would have been if they had found something more serious and you had no insurance. Actuaries always win in the long term…

The prep has changed and is easier, you don’t feel the procedure at all. Just lots of sophomoric humor about it. Plenty of you people probably wish they took it more seriously.
+ 1 for this. 👆

I have done colonoscopies since I turned 53 years old. The prep was hard on my first one, but no polyps found, so I don’t have to come back for the next one 5 years later. On my second one, the prep got easier, but they found a polyp, so I had to come back 2 years later. On my 3rd one, the prep got much easier and they found no polyps, so I didn’t need to come back until 5 years later, which is sometime this year.

What - you don’t have to use GoLytely (aka Poop Muchly) anymore? Had to use that godawful stuff for surgery in the early 2000s.

Interesting PDF. I'm not up to actually reading a 13 page study. but thanks. They seem stuck on screening starting at age 45 even tho people in their 20s and 30s are getting cancer. As easy as a Stool Test is, why wait.
^^^^ This. The cologuard tests detect cancer and claim a 92% detection rate. A colonoscopy can remove polyps prior to them becoming cancerous. Knowing three people who died of colon cancer, and a family member who had a precancerous polyp removed, I'll take the colonoscopy any day.
That's great for the few who will do a colonoscopy, but so few will.
Up here our National Health Service sends me a test kit annually, of which I just do the deed and then send it back in the provided post paid envelope. They test and notify our GP if there is any concern.
Easy Peasy.
Which test?
That's a big risk for someone with that history. It's a big risk for anyone. Not that I haven't gone years without insurance at times, as I have, but I survived to know better now. Insurance is in case of need, not a program you expect to use.
There's the worst-case problem with the tests. I am suspicious of one that advertises on FB. Best wishes to her and you here support partner.

That's great for the few who will do a colonoscopy, but so few will.
You mentioned that before. Where are you getting this?

The prep, flushing the colon with Trilyte (Polyethylene glycol) back in 12 years ago, was awful. Thankfully they gave me different flushing solutions on the 2nd & 3rd ones (unfortunately I couldn’t find in my medical record what they were).

The prep, flushing the colon with Trilyte (Polyethylene glycol) back in 12 years ago, was awful. Thankfully they gave me different flushing solutions on the 2nd & 3rd ones (unfortunately I couldn’t find in my medical record what they were).
I did the required fasting/diet the day before and then took stool softener (Dulcolax tablets) followed by a laxative (Miralax mixed with apple juice) a few hours later. If you're careful with your diet a few days in advance and eat very light foods, it's really not a big deal - just a few hours of hanging out near the bathroom as the "urge" comes quite quickly 💩.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom