Why are physicians not ordering annual Stool Tests?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Who wouldn’t pass up the opportunity to get roto-rootered?
The vast majority I think, which is why I suggest the easier and cheaper Stool Tests at least.

The roto rooter is not a big deal. Who wouldn't want to sit around in a robe and surf scubaboard all day? You do crave a cheeseburger though.

The follow-up to a positive Cologuard test is a colonoscopy so just skip the middle man.

True, but depending on your medical history and insurance, you may not be able to get a colonoscopy more than one in 5 or 10 years. FIT tests are not expensive at all. Cologuard is more expensive so many insurers will only pay once every 2-5 years.

Another factor to discuss with your doctor is colonoscopy prep can be hard or kidneys, to say nothing of it being an invasive procedure. I suspect that the US will migrate to fecal sample tests eventually.

The follow-up to a positive Cologuard test is a colonoscopy so just skip the middle man.
The vast majority won't, which is why I suggest the easier and cheaper Stool Tests at least.

True, but depending on your medical history and insurance, you may not be able to get a colonoscopy more than one in 5 or 10 years. FIT tests are not expensive at all. Cologuard is more expensive so many insurers will only pay once every 2-5 years.

Another factor to discuss with your doctor is colonoscopy prep can be hard or kidneys, to say nothing of it being an invasive procedure. I suspect that the US will migrate to fecal sample tests eventually.
I've heard about the kidney thing but from what i understand it's extremely rare to be a problem. You're right about being invasive though. The biggest serious risk is perforation of the intestine. Thankfully that's also extremely rare.

If it were me, if just go with the colonoscopy procedure. Our diet (here in America) predisposes us to colon cancer so I'd rather have everything done at once vs a possible false positive or worse, a false negative for cancer. 6 of one, half dozed off the other. Insurance may be a deciding factor for a lot of people, unfortunately.

The vast majority won't, which is why I suggest the easier and cheaper Stool Tests at least.
I agree, but, the stool tests have not been proven to be as accurate as a colonoscopy yet.

I would recommend, if you can afford it, just get the old school test and be sure. A false negative from a stool test is not worth the risk... To me anyway, as long as I can afford it.

I've heard about the kidney thing but from what i understand it's extremely rare to be a problem. You're right about being invasive though. The biggest serious risk is perforation of the intestine. Thankfully that's also extremely rare.

If it were me, if just go with the colonoscopy procedure. Our diet (here in America) predisposes us to colon cancer so I'd rather have everything done at once vs a possible false positive or worse, a false negative for cancer. 6 of one, half dozed off the other. Insurance may be a deciding factor for a lot of people, unfortunately.

The prep has changed and is easier, you don’t feel the procedure at all. Just lots of sophomoric humor about it. Plenty of young people probably wish they took it more seriously.

Don, I gotta say that my last colonoscopy wasn’t the best experience of my life, but it was up there.

The prep has changed and is easier, you don’t feel the procedure at all. Just lots of sophomoric humor about it. Plenty of you people probably wish they took it more seriously.
I was so full of **** before i started my prep, but my doc told me i was a perfect ******* afterwords... Almost🤣

The prep has changed and is easier, you don’t feel the procedure at all. Just lots of sophomoric humor about it. Plenty of you people probably wish they took it more seriously.
But man, i did crave a cheeseburger! I want to set up a hamburger stand just outside the endoscopy center👍

Back
Top Bottom