Kirstie Alley waited until she had symptoms, too late!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From what I understand, Cologuard has fairly low false negative rates, especially when you consider that Medicare and insurance will pay for it more often than a colonoscopy. "The false positive" rate is debatable because it can find cancer before it is apparent on a colonoscopy. Timing is everything.

Another less expensive option is an annual FIT (Fecal Immunochemical Test), which some studies show it is as effective as a 5-10 year colonoscopy. Just like Cologuard, a positive test results in a colonoscopy.

There is a lot of competition for Coloscopies as the "gold standard", for obvious reasons.

A seldom mentioned downside of Coloscopies is how it screws up your gut biome, especially in older patients. However, it is a great opportunity to make a conscious effort to rebuild the biome after such an aggressive "cleanse".

My comments should NOT be interpreted as reasons to avoid colon cancer screening! Just a discussion on which strategies to consider.
Our MD also recommends the fit during our annual physicals

Our MD also recommends the fit during our annual physicals

I took the FIT test for years and I understand that it is widely used for screening in Europe. False positives are higher and the sensitivity is lower than Cologuard but it is much less expensive. I have not used Cologuard yet but plan to request it the next time my doctor nags me about a colonoscopy.

CRC Screening: FIT vs Cologuard (FIT-DNA)
Though it is often cited that Cologuard has a sensitivity of 92% compared with FIT’s sensitivity of 74%, it is important to recognize that FIT is performed yearly and Cologuard every three years. The increased frequency of the FIT test improved the ‘functional” sensitivity over the entire screening period (50-75 years of age).

CRC Screening: FIT vs Cologuard (FIT-DNA)
Well, prices have changed since that 2018 report, and I guess those should be considered when working with insurance coverage & limits, certainly so if self paying.
1: Cologuard: The cost for the test ranges from $581 to $681, depending on when you pay. A call to the toll-free number, 844-870-8870, can get you a $100 discount if you pay in full upfront. Usually covered in full by insurance. Every three years?
2: The cost of the FIT test is around $49. Annually?
3: The cost of a colonoscopy in Austin, TX ranges from $1,250 to $3,200. The average cost is $1,571.

I see a memory problem with the Cologuard every three years. How do you get yourself to track that and push yourself to do it on time?

Well, prices have changed since that 2018 report, and I guess those should be considered when working with insurance coverage & limits, certainly so if self paying.
1: Cologuard: The cost for the test ranges from $581 to $681, depending on when you pay. A call to the toll-free number, 844-870-8870, can get you a $100 discount if you pay in full upfront. Usually covered in full by insurance. Every three years?
3: The cost of a colonoscopy in Austin, TX ranges from $1,250 to $3,200. The average cost is $1,571.

I see a memory problem with the Cologuard every three years. How do you get yourself to track that and push yourself to do it on time?
Over 20 or so colonoscopies with numerous different insurance plans over the past 25 or so years in numerous states I have never paid more than a couple hundred dollars out of pocket. It is typically billed like an annual physical if you are of age or family history. Those figures seem really high.

Doctor reminding you. Just like they remind women to get a mammo every year.

Is arousal the problem with colonoscopies or whatever oscopies for some folks

Those figures seem really high.
I pulled those off of google simple searches. For my Cologuard last month:
Medicare-approved amount $508.87
Medicare paid $498.69
You may be billed $0.00
Doctor reminding you. Just like they remind women to get a mammo every year.
Every three years seems like a challenge for them to track. First one has to have a doctor suggest one, or ask the doctor if they don't. I have recently been thru a nag session with my only child for her not having an annual exam in years, and I am still working on her getting one of the colon tests or an exam.
Is arousal the problem with colonoscopies or whatever oscopies for some folks
Arousal? Objections to enduring a colonoscopy vary. Fear of knowing is one.

Put an event in your calendar 3 years out with a reminder a few months prior.

Kind of like birthdays and anniversaries...

It's not a problem when you are married to a retired oncology research RN. :)

Seriously, my doctor is really good at nagging me when I need something. Some docs are a little reluctant to order a FIT of Cologuard test until you say you are not doing a colonoscopy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom