Warm water bacteria

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DennisS

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Here's a little something to think about when we're enjoying that 80+ degree water.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/health/fl-mystery-bacteria-20100723,0,336910.story

Contrary to popular belief, wading in the ocean to heal cuts and scrapes isn't always the best idea.
A little-known, deadly bacteria called Vibrio vulnificus, which naturally occurs in warm coastal waters, can infect the open wounds of beachgoers and incite a life-threatening illness in those with weakened immune systems.
Between 2005 and 2009, 138 people were infected with the bacteria in Florida — 31 died, according to the Florida Department of Health.
"The high mortality rate makes it a big deal," said Juan A. Suarez, a regional environmental epidemiologist for FDH, who said the bacteria proliferates in waters where temperature and salinity are increasing, particularly between the months of April and November.
There are two main ways of contracting an infection from the bacteria: through direct contact between sea water and an open cut or by consuming raw or undercooked shellfish, particularly contaminated oysters.
In Miami-Dade County, there have been two Vibrio vulnificus deaths in the past five years.
One of them was 86-year-old Shirley Malavenda, who went swimming with her husband last August at Matheson Hammock Park's man-made atoll, where she swam twice a week. She contracted the bacteria through a small scrape on her left leg.
Four days later, she was rushed to South Miami Hospital in septic shock. Doctors amputated her leg in an effort to save her life, but a month after being admitted to the hospital, Malavenda lost her battle to the mysterious bacteria.
Since his mother's death, Gary Malavenda, who works for the government accountability office, has been researching the bacteria and contacting officials about how to warn the public.
'I was born and raised in Miami, and I never heard of this bacteria,'' Gary Malavenda said. "I shared the perception that the ocean has a healing effect, which is a common misconception.''
He tells everyone he knows of his mother's unusual death, which he feels was preventable: 'I hope my mom didn't die in vain.''
Suarez, of the state department of health, said the number of cases is actually shrinking in Miami-Dade County, but numbers have remained steady in other parts of the state.
Stomach disorders, hepatitis, cancer and kidney disease make an individual more susceptible to infection, Suarez said.
Once infected, wounds will become inflamed and swollen. A fever, chills, pain at the wound site, decreased blood pressure causing septic shock and blood-tinged blisters can often develop. Nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea are symptoms associated with consuming the bacteria.
Chances for survival
"It is very important to go to the ER immediately. If the person shows up in the ER and the disease is recognized quickly, there is some chance of survival,'' Suarez said.
According to the Center for Disease Control, Vibrio vulnificus infections prove fatal approximately 50 percent of the time. Victims usually die within 24 to 48 hours as the bacteria quickly spreads through the bloodstream and begins destroying tissue.
Once patients arrive at the hospital, a blood test may take too long, so doctors must diagnose the patient by experience, Suarez said.
The state health department's educational focus is on physicians to enable them to both recognize symptoms in order to ensure effective, quick treatment and to encourage them to warn their patients with pre-existing conditions of susceptibility.
If caught early enough, antibiotics such as tetracycline and doxycycline can treat the infection. Amputations are often done to prevent death.
No warning signs
As part of the Florida Healthy Beaches Program, water samples are taken weekly at 15 locations throughout Miami, including Matheson Hammock. The samples are analyzed for enterococci and fecal coliform bacteria, but the Health Department does not test for Vibrio vulnificus bacteria because it naturally occurs in the water, and thus no warnings are issued.
Suarez thinks warning signs on beaches about the deadly bacteria would unnecessarily deter people from entering the water. "I feel for people who like to enjoy the ocean. We don't want to scare people away who have no risk. It's a particularly difficult organism because it doesn't affect everyone.'' he said. "Most healthy people will not respond to the organism. They are probably not at risk.'' But he advised all people to heal their cuts and scrapes through other means, not ocean water.
"It's probably not a good idea, even if you're healthy, to go into the water with an open wound,'' Suarez said.
"There's better ways to heal a wound. The best way is with fresh, clean water.''

:shocked2: That's it, I'm packing up, moving to Ohio or Pennsylvania, buying a drysuit, and taking up quarry diving! :shocked2:

Srsly, thanks for the info, Dennis. Maybe a reason to wear at least a 1 mil suit rather than diving "nekkid".

I'm throwing icecubes in my pool.

I'm throwing icecubes in my pool.

I'm throwing ice cubes in my blender, maybe sterilize it with some alcohol first. It's friday, almost quitting time.

Excellent idea. rum would kill the bacteria in the blender.. :D

Oof!
Older people with compromised or weakened immune systems?
Scare me!
Chug
Never, ever swims nekkid'.

Also people with cuts are at risk. I read this in the Herald today and that was the first think I thought of. I always have some kind of cut or scrape on me.

Thanks to the OP for posting this.

I had a septic shock episode last fall which was not thought to be related to diving or Vibrio. But in sorting out the path forward, this is one of the things I learned about. If you read the DAN guidance on Vibrio infections, nearly all of them in the soft tissue do occur as a result of coral scrapes, cuts, etc. Since I know I already get infections more easily than most, the answer was clear.

Sure wasn't to stop diving!

It is to cover my arms and legs. Going forward, I will always dive with at least a full skin, and will be relegating my shorty to a layering piece. And luckily for all, my 100th dive in Indonesia will not be able to be done nekkid. Got good trip insurance for emergency transport, carry an antibiotic which Vibrio is sensitive to, and continue on.

Don't we have some parasite here that infects the brain by getting water up your nose. It just keeps getting better all the time.

Coke?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom