43 North Wall dive sites to close as coral disease spreads

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cgills

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
OUCH..another 2020 bit of bad news..

The Department of Environment is shutting down 43 dive sites along Grand Cayman’s North Wall for the next three months as the island tries to combat the spread of the deadly Stony Coral Tissue Loss Disease.

The affected dive sites are located between Bear’s Paw at the edge of West Bay and Delia’s Delight off North Side, and are predominantly along the entrance/exit of the North Sound – the only local area so far known to impacted by the disease.

The DoE said the closure of these sites comes at a time of year when they are usually inaccessible to divers due to adverse weather conditions.

“We are here to try and find a solution to stem the spread of this disease,” said Tammi Warrender, the DoE’s lead coordinator for its response to the disease, which has already decimated parts of Florida’s reefs.

Warrender addressed about two dozen dive operators from various companies who attended a meeting about the DoE’s plans Friday morning at the Government Administration Building.

The DoE was first alerted to the presence the coral disease in local waters in June by a member of the public who spotted it at Penny’s Arch dive site, off Rum Point.

“There is still a lot that we do not know about the disease, like how it got here and whether it is bacteria or some other microbe that is responsible for it, and, if so, which one?” said Warrender. “What we do know is that it is travelling westward along the prevailing water current at a rate of between 1 to 1.5 miles per month.”

Another troubling unknown factor about the disease is its mode of transmission, and why some corals are more susceptible to it than others. After popping up off the coast of Florida six years ago, the coral disease then showed up in Jamaica, before arriving in the Bahamas and now in Cayman.

“This disease takes no prisoners, it infects entire reefs at a time, and spreads rapidly,” said Warrender. “Fortunately for us, we’ve had years to observe the disease in other countries and to see what works and what does not work.”

“We also know that it will arrive in the Sister Islands, so for now we are trying to buy ourselves additional time,” she added.

Currently, the DoE is adapting a list of preventative measures. Along with a ban on in-water activity at the various sites, the DoE has begun removing moorings from the proposed locations to discourage private boat-owners from visiting the areas. Divers are also being encouraged to use environmentally-friendly chemicals to disinfect their gear after each dive, so that if they come into contact with the disease, they do not inadvertently spread it to other areas.

“The reason we do not want in-water activity is because divers could unknowingly take the virus from an affected dive site to another site,” said Croy McCoy, a DoE senior research officer, who likened the disease to a raging fire beneath Cayman’s waters.

“We’ve placed a coral firebreak to help stop the spread of the disease,” he said, which entails removing areas of affected coral.

Those who choose not to adhere to the restrictions at the dive sites will not face legal penalties at the moment, but DoE Director Gina Ebanks-Petrie said her department is still weighing options.

“We have designed our response in a way that is proportionate to the threat,” said Ebanks-Petrie. “If we see where regulations are needed to prevent people from visiting the sites, then we will explore that option, but right now we want everyone to understand that it is everybody’s best interest to stay away from the sites until we have addressed the problem.”

Although in-water activity has been banned at the dive sites, the DoE is not proposing that troll-fishing be restricted, or that people be prevented from accessing the Stingray City Sandbar.

During Friday’s meeting, the DoE warned operators that although the disease appears to be contained in one location currently, the rate of its spread could result in financial losses in the millions.

The DoE is seeking volunteers to assist with studying Stony Coral Tissue Loss Disease. Contact 949-8469 for more information on how to volunteer.

Sad news, that's a large area of closure. Many favorite sites there. If I was on Grand Cayman, I would volunteer to assist.

upload_2020-10-17_9-4-39.png

OUCH..another 2020 bit of bad news..

The Department of Environment is shutting down 43 dive sites along Grand Cayman’s North Wall for the next three months as the island tries to combat the spread of the deadly Stony Coral Tissue Loss Disease.

The affected dive sites are located between Bear’s Paw at the edge of West Bay and Delia’s Delight off North Side, and are predominantly along the entrance/exit of the North Sound – the only local area so far known to impacted by the disease.

The DoE said the closure of these sites comes at a time of year when they are usually inaccessible to divers due to adverse weather conditions.

“We are here to try and find a solution to stem the spread of this disease,” said Tammi Warrender, the DoE’s lead coordinator for its response to the disease, which has already decimated parts of Florida’s reefs.

Warrender addressed about two dozen dive operators from various companies who attended a meeting about the DoE’s plans Friday morning at the Government Administration Building.

The DoE was first alerted to the presence the coral disease in local waters in June by a member of the public who spotted it at Penny’s Arch dive site, off Rum Point.

“There is still a lot that we do not know about the disease, like how it got here and whether it is bacteria or some other microbe that is responsible for it, and, if so, which one?” said Warrender. “What we do know is that it is travelling westward along the prevailing water current at a rate of between 1 to 1.5 miles per month.”

Another troubling unknown factor about the disease is its mode of transmission, and why some corals are more susceptible to it than others. After popping up off the coast of Florida six years ago, the coral disease then showed up in Jamaica, before arriving in the Bahamas and now in Cayman.

“This disease takes no prisoners, it infects entire reefs at a time, and spreads rapidly,” said Warrender. “Fortunately for us, we’ve had years to observe the disease in other countries and to see what works and what does not work.”

“We also know that it will arrive in the Sister Islands, so for now we are trying to buy ourselves additional time,” she added.

Currently, the DoE is adapting a list of preventative measures. Along with a ban on in-water activity at the various sites, the DoE has begun removing moorings from the proposed locations to discourage private boat-owners from visiting the areas. Divers are also being encouraged to use environmentally-friendly chemicals to disinfect their gear after each dive, so that if they come into contact with the disease, they do not inadvertently spread it to other areas.

“The reason we do not want in-water activity is because divers could unknowingly take the virus from an affected dive site to another site,” said Croy McCoy, a DoE senior research officer, who likened the disease to a raging fire beneath Cayman’s waters.

“We’ve placed a coral firebreak to help stop the spread of the disease,” he said, which entails removing areas of affected coral.

Those who choose not to adhere to the restrictions at the dive sites will not face legal penalties at the moment, but DoE Director Gina Ebanks-Petrie said her department is still weighing options.

“We have designed our response in a way that is proportionate to the threat,” said Ebanks-Petrie. “If we see where regulations are needed to prevent people from visiting the sites, then we will explore that option, but right now we want everyone to understand that it is everybody’s best interest to stay away from the sites until we have addressed the problem.”

Although in-water activity has been banned at the dive sites, the DoE is not proposing that troll-fishing be restricted, or that people be prevented from accessing the Stingray City Sandbar.

During Friday’s meeting, the DoE warned operators that although the disease appears to be contained in one location currently, the rate of its spread could result in financial losses in the millions.

The DoE is seeking volunteers to assist with studying Stony Coral Tissue Loss Disease. Contact 949-8469 for more information on how to volunteer.

It will be interesting to see if this has any effect on the spreading of the disease

After 6 years, one might expect that the specific cause would be known and specific treatments available. SCTLD has proved very difficult. I keep hoping progress will soon be made.

.... it is travelling westward....... at a rate of between 1 to 1.5 miles per month.”.

Y I K E S !!!!

This is the last thing GC needs right now Cindy. Coz is not having much luck either with it including closures.

Bad news... and, sadly, hard to see how you can treat/prevent something that “is traveling westward along the prevailing water current at a rate of between 1 to 1.5 miles per month” in the open ocean? Hopefully, they can keep it in check some way!

Sad news, that's a large area of closure. Many favorite sites there. If I was on Grand Cayman, I would volunteer to assist.

I emailed the person who is the DoE contact earlier today (somehow missed the contact phone number when I read the article), offering to volunteer in whatever way they might need. I'll let you know what she says. I also sent in some photos I took last week that looked suspicious. I'm not trained to identify SCTLD so not sure what I was actually observing, but submitted the photos in just in case. I also suggested to DoE that it would be useful if they could offer some education/training resource to help us recreational divers to better identify SCTLD while we're out there every week anyway enjoying what's left of the Cayman reefs.

I emailed the person who is the DoE contact earlier today (somehow missed the contact phone number when I read the article), offering to volunteer in whatever way they might need. I'll let you know what she says. I also sent in some photos I took last week that looked suspicious. I'm not trained to identify SCTLD so not sure what I was actually observing, but submitted the photos in just in case. I also suggested to DoE that it would be useful if they could offer some education/training resource to help us recreational divers to better identify SCTLD while we're out there every week anyway enjoying what's left of the Cayman reefs.
Please keep up posted as to your activities and what you find out. Best of luck

Do not want to be a negative nellie but nothing has stopped this
Here in the keys we watched this spread from site to site.
It skipped some coral and hit others.
Prognosis doesn’t look good if it is anything like what happened here

I emailed the person who is the DoE contact earlier today (somehow missed the contact phone number when I read the article), offering to volunteer in whatever way they might need.
Was it Tammi you emailed? We have several staff members who are volunteering for DOE on this, and she is our point of contact.

Tony

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom