Warm water bacteria

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't we have some parasite here that infects the brain by getting water up your nose. It just keeps getting better all the time.

Central Florida deals with an amoeba scare every few years during especially hot times and excess rainfall.
I was taught to blow my nose often when swimming in Winter Park and Orlando area lakes when I was a kid.

Chug
Got good at blowing his schnozzola.

Don't we have some parasite here that infects the brain by getting water up your nose. It just keeps getting better all the time.

That's an amoeba in fresh water lakes.
There are less than 200 cases of disease reported in the world literature and fewer than 20 have been documented in Florida. Cases are usually reported in children and young adults who have recent exposure to freshwater lakes or streams. The first cases documented in Florida come from Orange County in 1962. A review of PAM cases in 1990 included 14 Florida cases as of January 1990. Thirteen of 14 cases were in males and the age of cases ranged between 2 and 23 years of age (mean 12 years) with onset between July and October. Bureau records indicate 2 cases during the 1990s. A 14-year-old boy died from PAM in 1997 after swimming at a canal in Orange County. A second fatality from PAM was confirmed in a 19-year-old Palm Beach County boy in 1999. Other sporadic cases may have occurred during the intervening decade, but these cases are not reportable and therefore complete data are not available.

Great, I wish I read this before having my daughter in the ocean today with that damn cut on her elbow that keeps opening up. I kept thinking a little salt water will be good for it.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom