• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Diver survives boat strike - Maine

Discussion in 'Accidents & Incidents' started by DandyDon, Jun 20, 2021.

1. DandyDon

DandyDon Old men ought to be explorers ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Diver down: How a Smithfield man survived a near-fatal boat crash

drrich2 and Cdncoldwater like this.
  2. RIHappyDiver

RIHappyDiver ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Lucky guy. Unfortunately there seems to be no easy answer. I thought the boaters in this area were more aware, until last weekend. I was at the local diving hot spot when a jet ski came through rooster tailing. Fortunately, no one was in his way.
    Did I understand the article correctly that he had his flag attached to his bcd?

Erik

3. Cdncoldwater

Cdncoldwater Contributor

Glad he wasn't seriously injured or worse. That being said, "newish" diver, alone in a lake; seems like a recipe for disaster. In Canada you need a federally mandated course to operate powered watercraft, which I didn't initially agree with but have seen it as a benefit since taking it years ago. I reminded my neighbours at our cove where I plan to dive what a dive flag is and that I will have one out when diving our cove.

drrich2 likes this.
  4. Scuba-74

Scuba-74 Contributor

“fashioned the oxygen tank around his weighted belt” - I want to see that setup

Shasta_man and fisheater like this.
  5. Jayfarmlaw

Jayfarmlaw Public Safety Diver

Here in Oklahoma, anyone who can afford a boat, a boat rental, or has a friend they can borrow a boat from can get out on the lake. No training of any kind is required. It's not uncommon to have boats come by the dive park at Tenkiller next to the marked buoy line at high speed.

Don't get me started on jetskis run by unsupervised kids.

Do any states require a boating license or other training?

Jay

Cdncoldwater and drrich2 like this.
  6. drrich2

drrich2 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Thanks for this reminder that the real world often throws curve balls our way that I didn't even think of. It's easy to think of boat owners running their boats, who presumably require some sort of license. But what about jet skis? How many people with little or no prior experience get on them to try the 'water toy?'

RIHappyDiver and Cdncoldwater like this.
  7. Scuba-74

Scuba-74 Contributor

It’s a widely accepted assumption that a jet skier not only wouldn’t respect the dive flag, but will see it as a slalom cone. Happened to me while I was 12 feet down.

A dive shop on Lake Champlain doesn’t run any charters on the 4th of July weekend because all the numbskulls get out of the woods and descend on the lake.

in general, I firmly believe it’s a divers responsibility to protect themselves from the boats and always assume the worst. There will always be situations when a diver may have to surface somewhere where the boats may be, but one should strive to minimize those risks by all means. That’s why when I read something like “surfaced for a break”, like this guy apparently did, I can’t help but think that maybe he wasn’t prepared to dive that lake.

RIHappyDiver and Cdncoldwater like this.
  8. DandyDon

DandyDon Old men ought to be explorers ScubaBoard Supporter

It does sound like he was too new for such diving risks.
    I think the article said that, and maybe he did. It's an idea, but a dangerous one I think.

9. RIHappyDiver

RIHappyDiver ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

That was my thought as well. I have the line from my flag on a line holder that I can slide over my forearm, but I won’t for fear of not being able to get it off quickly enough if something moving catches on to it. Clipped to a bcd sounds too risky.

Cdncoldwater likes this.
  10. Scuba-74

Scuba-74 Contributor

Definitely too risky. Not only can you get yanked by a boat, you can also get entangled in your flag line very easily. If you know you’ll have to do something that will force you to let go of your line holder (like lobstering or even picking trash), attach something on the handle that would make it heavy enough to stay in place next to you. I have a heavy knife attached to it for that purpose.

Cdncoldwater and RIHappyDiver like this.