Diver survives boat strike - Maine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Diver down: How a Smithfield man survived a near-fatal boat crash
SMITHFIELD — Roland Constable lived to tell his own cautionary tale.

The red flag with a white stripe is intended to save people like Constable’s life, but earlier this month, the required exercise for diver safety nearly backfired.

He would soon find himself rocketing underwater toward the back of a boat and hitting the propeller.

“I don’t know how I made it,” he said.

Saturday, June 5, 2021, will forever be a date ingrained in the 54-year-old Constable’s mind. Around 1 p.m. that afternoon Constable went for his second-ever scuba dive in Maine. His first Maine dive the week prior was a bit unnerving when Constable surfaced for a break and a fishing boat idled nearby. As soon as the boat drivers saw him, they drove off.

Fast forward a week later, Constable put on his wetsuit, fashioned the oxygen tank around his weighted belt and submerged off the dock at his family’s North Pond camp. With the diver-down flag attached to a buoy via his vest, Constable made his way out approximately 200 yards from his dock.

Constable got certified for scuba diving in March while on vacation visiting a friend in Venice, Florida. He got into it for the invigoration of the exploration, but also to help clean up the lake. North Pond is subject to invasive algal blooms, so Constable brings his “goodie bag,” a red mesh collection bag, with him to pick up golf balls, beer cans and other litter from the lake’s floor.

“Whatever I junk I can pick up out of the lake,” he said.

After 45 minutes sweeping an area of the lake, between 4-8 feet deep, Constable heard an unusual noise.

“I just kind of looked around real quick,” Constable said, “and it was too late.”

24798597_20210615-diver-hurt-005-1024x683.jpg

Roland Constable scuba dives June 12 as a diver-down flag alerts others of his presence in the shallow Smithfield waters. Michael G. Seamans/Morning Sentinel

A boat hit him from behind, striking Constable’s silver oxygen tank. The regulator that he uses to breathe broke free and Constable lost control.

His body rocketed toward the back of the boat, which luckily was in idle, and hit the propeller. The American Boating Association reported in 2019 that 20.5% of those struck by a boat propeller died and nearly all sustained injuries.

The propeller went up his right arm, narrowly missing Constable’s face. Two gashes on his shoulder bled immediately, while the battered arm went limp. Struggling to find the button that blows up his safety vest, Constable finally found it. He couldn’t swim, but the people on the boat pulled Constable to safety.

24798597_20210615-diver-hurt-007-1024x683.jpg

Roland Constable looks at one of the visible wounds on his right shoulder that remains after a boat struck him a week prior, on June 5, while scuba diving on North Pond in Smithfield. Michael G. Seamans/Morning Sentinel

All diving precautions were taken, so why did the boat approach him?

Constable pointed to the buoy, battered a bit by the propeller, and flag.

“They saw this floating in the water and figured it was somebody’s buoy that got away,” he said. “They had no idea what it was… All of a sudden it was just, pow! The boat ran over me.”

After being brought back to the camp, where his niece and sister-in-law were, Constable went to the emergency room at MaineGeneral Medical Center in Augusta.

Constable says he was lucky to have just gotten two gashes on his right shoulder and left the hospital the same afternoon following a series of tests. The game warden told him he’d responded to three of these types of accidents before and all three resulted in fatalities.

Yet Constable missed just one day of work as a salesman in the service department at Central Maine Toyota.

As Constable works with the boat owner and their insurance company, he said he’s sharing his story to raise awareness. No charges were filed.

That’s not the point, Constable says. It was a mistake, albeit a dangerous one.

“This is my only savior right here from not getting killed,” Constable said, again pointing to the flag and buoy. “I have to rely on this thing, and everybody’s curious what this thing is. People just don’t know.”

24798597_20210615-diver-hurt-002-1024x683.jpg

Roland Constable scuba dives in shallow water June 12, with diver-down flag and a rope in tow to alert others of his presence in the Smithfield pond. Michael G. Seamans/Morning Sentinel

According to Maine’s boating laws, a diver-down flag, required by the U.S. Coast Guard, is rectangular red with a white diagonal stripe that can be attached to a watercraft, float or buoy. Boats are required to stay at least 100 feet away from the flags.

Jodie Mosher-Towle, president of the North Pond Association, said the organization has offered a boating safety course for each of the last six years. This year’s was canceled due to lack of signups and the coronavirus pandemic. She believes a higher game warden presence (supplied by the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries & Wildlife) on the lake and in the Belgrade Lakes watershed overall, would be effective.

“People who are driving the boat and don’t know that a red buoy means stay 100 feet away means they have not read the safety rules,” Mosher-Towle said. “There needs to be some accountability, and I think (the MDIF&W) could help things out by making sure anyone who is behind the wheel of a boat has some kind of knowledge.

“The North Pond Association is not the law, but we would like to steer you in the direction to abide by it.”

According to MDIF&W, which oversees Maine’s Game Warden Service and is aware of and shared a report of the accident with the Morning Sentinel, the number of boating incidents over the last half-decade have stayed roughly uniform. After 32 incidents in 2015, there was between 43-49 annually for the next five years. That included 44 cumulative fatalities from 2015 to 2020.

In a written response to a set of questions, Col. Dan Scott said warden coverage is a challenge for the organization. Of the 90 available field game warden positions, 12 are vacant. Four cadets are in training, but there are 12 more wardens eligible for retirement and another 10 who will be this coming January.

“During 2020 (the pandemic) boat traffic and was reportedly up significantly on lakes and ponds across the state as was recreational vehicle (ATV use),” Scott said. “From what we have seen so far, I expect that will be the case this summer as well. Couple that with our own staff taking some family vacation time and also participating in required law enforcement training to retain their state law enforcement certification, and summer coverage becomes a challenge.”

Constable can still replay the accident vividly. He feels every rotation of the propeller beating his arm.

While Constable is a bit nervous about continuing to dive, he’ll do so with more caution. Friends or family may accompany him by boat. He never went without someone in the camp, but now Constable will only dive when there’s someone watching.

“I just want to get this word out,” he said. “That’s all I care about.”

Lucky guy. Unfortunately there seems to be no easy answer. I thought the boaters in this area were more aware, until last weekend. I was at the local diving hot spot when a jet ski came through rooster tailing. Fortunately, no one was in his way.
Did I understand the article correctly that he had his flag attached to his bcd?

Erik

Glad he wasn't seriously injured or worse. That being said, "newish" diver, alone in a lake; seems like a recipe for disaster. In Canada you need a federally mandated course to operate powered watercraft, which I didn't initially agree with but have seen it as a benefit since taking it years ago. I reminded my neighbours at our cove where I plan to dive what a dive flag is and that I will have one out when diving our cove.

Here in Oklahoma, anyone who can afford a boat, a boat rental, or has a friend they can borrow a boat from can get out on the lake. No training of any kind is required. It's not uncommon to have boats come by the dive park at Tenkiller next to the marked buoy line at high speed.

Don't get me started on jetskis run by unsupervised kids.

Do any states require a boating license or other training?

Jay

I was at the local diving hot spot when a jet ski came through rooster tailing.

Thanks for this reminder that the real world often throws curve balls our way that I didn't even think of. It's easy to think of boat owners running their boats, who presumably require some sort of license. But what about jet skis? How many people with little or no prior experience get on them to try the 'water toy?'

Thanks for this reminder that the real world often throws curve balls our way that I didn't even think of. It's easy to think of boat owners running their boats, who presumably require some sort of license. But what about jet skis? How many people with little or no prior experience get on them to try the 'water toy?'

It’s a widely accepted assumption that a jet skier not only wouldn’t respect the dive flag, but will see it as a slalom cone. Happened to me while I was 12 feet down.

A dive shop on Lake Champlain doesn’t run any charters on the 4th of July weekend because all the numbskulls get out of the woods and descend on the lake.

in general, I firmly believe it’s a divers responsibility to protect themselves from the boats and always assume the worst. There will always be situations when a diver may have to surface somewhere where the boats may be, but one should strive to minimize those risks by all means. That’s why when I read something like “surfaced for a break”, like this guy apparently did, I can’t help but think that maybe he wasn’t prepared to dive that lake.

It does sound like he was too new for such diving risks.
Did I understand the article correctly that he had his flag attached to his bcd?
I think the article said that, and maybe he did. It's an idea, but a dangerous one I think.

It does sound like he was too new for such diving risks.

I think the article said that, and maybe he did. It's an idea, but a dangerous one I think.
That was my thought as well. I have the line from my flag on a line holder that I can slide over my forearm, but I won’t for fear of not being able to get it off quickly enough if something moving catches on to it. Clipped to a bcd sounds too risky.

That was my thought as well. I have the line from my flag on a line holder that I can slide over my forearm, but I won’t for fear of not being able to get it off quickly enough if something moving catches on to it. Clipped to a bcd sounds too risky.

Definitely too risky. Not only can you get yanked by a boat, you can also get entangled in your flag line very easily. If you know you’ll have to do something that will force you to let go of your line holder (like lobstering or even picking trash), attach something on the handle that would make it heavy enough to stay in place next to you. I have a heavy knife attached to it for that purpose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom