Who's diving this weekend and where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you can choose your day with little or no lead time, by all means pick the best day of the month. But if you have to commit to a day a few weeks in advance and have little opportunity to change it, the calculus is a bit different.

You certainly don't want to go out on a bad day, but the swell predictions aren't the best gauge of bad days (especially for shore diving inside the protection of the bay).

For shore diving in Monterey I tend to rely on the Hopkins/Pt. Cabrillo buoy: http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=46240

for more relevant real-time info than the Bay and Waverider buoys.

Guy

Last edited:
Can anyone supply the basic 101 version of how/where to read swell predictions?
Which wave direction potentially is +/- for various sites and why? Maybe on another thread?

On another note, I agree, most times I just show up, the water is quite diveable somewhere to one degree or another.

Have never yet made it to the aquarium or enjoyed a leisurely afternoon in Monterey, although I am looking forward to that day :).

Im with Kathy! What a great weekend for diving! Breakwater was nice and calm and Lobos today was beautiful. We(kathy actually) Found plenty of nudi's and some big ole fish. I had an absolute blast trying out some new gear and a few new skills.

Eric, it was great meeting and diving with you on Saturday I hope we can get together again soon.

Harry, thank you for the light help and for pointing towards some amazing videos!

Kathy great dives!!! We will be seeing you and Kristina on Wednesday!

Hey Robert, Great diving with you too. That's a real bummer about that backplate.

-Erik

Can anyone supply the basic 101 version of how/where to read swell predictions?
Which wave direction potentially is +/- for various sites and why? Maybe on another thread?

On another note, I agree, most times I just show up, the water is quite diveable somewhere to one degree or another.

Have never yet made it to the aquarium or enjoyed a leisurely afternoon in Monterey, although I am looking forward to that day :).

Monterey Bay Sea Conditions - Some Examples

Chuck: Would you mind changing the background image on the text heavy pages?

That's definitely true. You guys have easily an extra 3 hours total commute time, right? That's what season passes to the Aquarium are for.

Can I get a season pass to the local brew pub as well???

I have close to a four hour drive each way. I usually book 2-3 boat dives and squeeze in a few shore dives when I come down.

Can I get a season pass to the local brew pub as well???

I have close to a four hour drive each way. I usually book 2-3 boat dives and squeeze in a few shore dives when I come down.

You need to learn to drive faster :wink: Oh and if you take the I-80 to the 101 route: don't. The I-5 route is faster and not full of stupid drivers. More trucks though.

Hey Robert, Great diving with you too. That's a real bummer about that backplate.

-Erik

Erik, I am looking forward to diving with you when I get back from Turkey. It sounds like You, Kathy and I may be teaming up the weekend of 12/5? That will be my first weekend back so I will be ready to get in the water!

Forgot to add, I also had a scallop swim past me yesterday, swear to you, it was about 4' off the bottom and swam about 5-6' in front of me and then dropped to the sand. Damnedest things I've ever seen, and we were only at 72' or so, so I don't think it was narcosis, because there it was in the sand. What a trip!

It wasn't narcosis it was moving alright! :)

I had great time I just wish I could have found someone to do another dive (or two) at the Breakwater Sunday afternoon.

Erik, I am looking forward to diving with you when I get back from Turkey. It sounds like You, Kathy and I may be teaming up the weekend of 12/5? That will be my first weekend back so I will be ready to get in the water!

Sounds great to me!

Conditions this weekend were great. I did two boat dives on the Sanctuary (my last for this year) and had some fun testing out a new housing for the 5DmkII. After digesting the meatzilla from Giannis I was in no condition to post photos. I finally got to them this evening.

Here are a few photos. I will post up the HD video when I get a chance to trim it down.

I am now a firm believer in the phrase 'dont trust the forecast unless you see conditions with your own eyes.'

IMG_2296.jpg

IMG_2209.jpg

IMG_2241.jpg

the rest as usual are here

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom