Who's diving this weekend and where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll be on the Sancturary sunday morning. maybe we could all meet up for lunch after the morning dives?

Bummer, I'm on the Sanc Sat and have to work Sun. I don't understand what wave models everyone is looking at but NDBC doesn't look that bad for the weekend. Wind is pretty strong, but swells don't too bad.

SAT
NW WINDS 15 TO 25 KT. WIND WAVES 3 TO 5 FT.
NW SWELL 6 TO 8 FT AT 13 SECONDS.

SAT NIGHT

SUN
N WINDS 10 TO 20 KT...BECOMING NW IN THE AFTERNOON.
WIND WAVES 2 TO 4 FT. NW SWELL 6 TO 8 FT.

Bummer, I'm on the Sanc Sat and have to work Sun. I don't understand what wave models everyone is looking at but NDBC doesn't look that bad for the weekend. Wind is pretty strong, but swells don't too bad.

SAT

SAT NIGHT

SUN
N WINDS 10 TO 20 KT...BECOMING NW IN THE AFTERNOON.
WIND WAVES 2 TO 4 FT. NW SWELL 6 TO 8 FT.

That's the NWS offshore forecast, not NDBC, which deals in real-time data (but might
have a link to NWS).

The problem is that the Sat. forecasts are straddling the line:
NWS offshore: 6-8' NW. That's a GO, but I might end up at the BW instead of Lobos.
Both CDIP forecasts: 8-10' That's a stay home.
Navy WAM: 7-9' NW. Right on my line.

Me, I'm going to stay home and work on the fans project. And with even the least
amount of luck (no new surprises), finish.

Jim Ernst:
I was just called by one of my Students that are in Monterey at the BW right now and the conditions are horrible, Zero Vis, Huge Breakers and very bad surge...

That's a little extreme. I've had two groups come back from Breakwater in the last 90 minutes and both said it was quite diveable. Visibility was about 15' once you got out below 30'. It's not great conditions, to be sure, but Breakwater and McAbee are very doable right now. Matter of fact, another group of three just took off to do twilight dives there.

On the bright side, winds are NNW right now, 21 kts at the MB buoy and gusting up to 25 kts. That's exactly the right conditions to generate an upwelling current.

Bruce

For all those who didn't cancel their diving plans because of one wild data point, please continue reading. As one of those twilight divers Bruce mentioned, I just came back from Breakwater/The Pipes/Metridium Fields and had two great dives. Sure the visibility at first was bad (5ft or so) but opened up to about 15ft under the 35ft depth mark. Very slight surge at depth; noticable but not bad. Metridium Fields were full of flora and even some downed mola mola being feasted upon by bat stars. The night dive proved similar conditions. Spotted a couple octopi, crabs, and even blinded a copper rockfish, causing him to run into a rock!

As for the breakers at McAbee, I did see some white wash along the beach, but that was this morning at around 0800. The surf at Breakwater was low, and the big ones were about 1-2 feet (oh my!).

I sure hope the upwelling is headed our way. Dive temp at depth was 59°F!

If the conditions continue to abate as predicted, tomorrow should prove to be an enjoyable time diving. That is if you don't expect magnificent vis (which one shouldn't if you are headed to BW). If anyone is looking for an extra dive buddy tomorrow night, let me know; I'd be happy to go again!

Upwellings are cold and clear. As a drysuit diver, I consider that
a good thing.

Even for those that don't dive dry, upwelling is always a good thing.

For all those who didn't cancel their diving plans because of one wild data point,

WILD..... I don't think so Dude!
Take this as you will bud, These are STUDENTS! That gave that report and one very good Dive shop owner!

I post the info as I get it, I drive from Sacramento to Monterey, That is 3 hours drive, If I get a bad report, I wait till it is better, and I only report what I am told, I am not in Monterey!:popcorn:

But, Fact is I will listen to Trevor or Glen far before Yours or anyone that is not there on the BW!!! Thanks for your imput!!!!

For taking a class out, I think you made the right call in canceling. At the typical 20ft student depth, it would have made for an interesting time trying to keep track of people. But for those still wanting a fun dive, its more than doable.

For taking a class out, I think you made the right call in canceling. At the typical 20ft student depth, it would have made for an interesting time trying to keep track of people. But for those still wanting a fun dive, its more than doable.

:rofl3:You mean Bowling for students....??
Thank you, I was told that the surge was terrible....???
Is that correct , well I mean for students??

I'm on the Escapade tomorrow. Dramamine will be put to the test.

Good luck with that :)

For all those who didn't cancel their diving plans because of one wild data point, please continue reading. As one of those twilight divers Bruce mentioned, I just came back from Breakwater/The Pipes/Metridium Fields and had two great dives. Sure the visibility at first was bad (5ft or so) but opened up to about 15ft under the 35ft depth mark. Very slight surge at depth; noticable but not bad. Metridium Fields were full of flora and even some downed mola mola being feasted upon by bat stars. The night dive proved similar conditions. Spotted a couple octopi, crabs, and even blinded a copper rockfish, causing him to run into a rock!

As for the breakers at McAbee, I did see some white wash along the beach, but that was this morning at around 0800. The surf at Breakwater was low, and the big ones were about 1-2 feet (oh my!).

If the conditions continue to abate as predicted, tomorrow should prove to be an enjoyable time diving. That is if you don't expect magnificent vis (which one shouldn't if you are headed to BW). If anyone is looking for an extra dive buddy tomorrow night, let me know; I'd be happy to go again!

Thanks for the good news!

Jim Ernst:
Thank you, I was told that the surge was terrible....???
Is that correct , well I mean for students??

We descended right at about 22ft and that was where it was bad (the vis not surge) but the surge was there. I think that the slight surge compounded with the vis would have made for a challenging dive with students.

I am in!

PM to follow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom