Who here listens to Dive talk?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

so while I fully agree with the statements above, remember that since Woody is a string bean with no fat on him, and with drysuits lead=warmth, it's quite possible that he's choosing to use that much weight to keep his suit quite full of gas in an attempt to stay warm. I use less weight in my drysuit than I do in a 7mm, but I dive with a suit squeeze and thin undergarments, I highly doubt he's doing that.

BTW, i like Dive talk because both the contributors come across as enthusiastic, pasionate, and interesting. That for me, is far more important that absolute accuracy!

sorry I disagree. As an instructor I I have new divers listening to this show. Kids, young people listen to these types of shows and don’t take it with a grain of salt. They believe what they hear is factual when it’s actually not

so while I fully agree with the statements above, remember that since Woody is a string bean with no fat on him, and with drysuits lead=warmth, it's quite possible that he's choosing to use that much weight to keep his suit quite full of gas in an attempt to stay warm. I use less weight in my drysuit than I do in a 7mm, but I dive with a suit squeeze and thin undergarments, I highly doubt he's doing that.

agree. From the sounds of it is has very few dry suit dives

They do come of as "snobbish" divers who believe their way is the only correct way, but like someone else said they have entertaining talks, especially their video reviews.
I can’t say I agree with this. They come out and even say they are not experts. I don’t think they are cocky at all. Just have some mislead information

I've experienced the same thing regarding weights of drysuit vs. 7 mm. When I dive that way though, I feel the 7 mm is a bit warmer! Do you notice the same thing?

I've experienced the same thing regarding weights of drysuit vs. 7 mm. When I dive that way though, I feel the 7 mm is a bit warmer! Do you notice the same thing?

with thin undergarments for the first dive yes, for subsequent dives typically not as bad since I'm not wet. If you get cold, put more layers on.

If I'm correct, I think Dive Silfra uses neoprene drysuits. I was going to do this trip a few years ago but life got in the way and I had to cancel. Then we planned it again and something else came up. Then we planned it again and the pandemic hit. Anyway...

I haven't dove with a neoprene drysuit (my old one was compressed neo), but perhaps that is why Woody needed 38 lbs? The water in Silfra is just above freezing, so a neoprene drysuit with thick undergarments is going to need quite a bit of lead to sink.

Back
Top Bottom