White's Fusion vs. DUI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigbugz

New
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...
Ready to get my first dry suit.

Debating between Whites Fusion and more traditional DUI.

Looking for recommendations from people who've dived BOTH--ultimate drysuit face-off.

White's Fusion doesn't look too durable. (Is it?) What about DUI or even White's Legend line?

I shouldn't answer, because I've only dived a DUI suit twice. But I own a Fusion, and I've had it for over a year. I have somewhere between 150 and 200 dives on it, including cave diving in Mexico and Florida, and doing some serious limestone crawling. The suit has yet to leak a single drop that wasn't related to something I did to it (for example, putting in a p-valve). It looks new. I still love it to pieces. If I could figure out how to put good, big pockets on it without having to use X-shorts, I'd pronounce it the perfect suit.

The suit, with undergarments and boots, ran me $1000 less than a DUI TLS that would fit me. In addition, I like the feel of it and how it dives better. And I had $1000 to spend on something else.

How are you going to get a good evaluation for an informed decision if you lock out one group? I think you'd get a better response if you have have both groups answer what they like and dislike about their suits.

I would be able to participate... :)

MG

The Whites is a lot more durable than it looks and swims much better than a DUI. With the Fusion you also get the fit and air control advantages that wouldl require a custom DUI suit.

When you consider that the Fusion costs $1300-$1800 depending on options, that stock DUI suits costmore and that a custom DUI suit can cost $4K, you could totally wear out a pair of fusions and still be money ahead compared to a custom DUI suit.

I have had mine over a year on a large number of wreck and cave dives and have yet to put a hole in it. If it can survive wrecks, restrictions in caves and crawling in an out of rocky basins in doubles, it qualifies as "durable". In contrast I have had both seam leaks and pin holes under comparable conditions in DUI trilam suits.

In a trilam (DUI or any other), there is a fine line between having a generous enough cut for full mobility with no stress on the seams and a suit that is too large with the potential for too much air movement. In most, changing from light to heavy underwear pushes you over the line one way or the other depending on what you optimized the suit for. Consequently seam leaks are not uncommon in a trilam if you need the suit to do double duty and are a bit snug in the suit with heavy undergarments.

That is not an issue with the Fusion as the combination of large bladder and compression cover allows for excellent mobility without excessive volume and allows for the use of a wide range of undergarments with no impact on fit. It is literally the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Echoing TSandM & DA.

I took my wreck class in one, and trust me, I bounced around into the sharp metal and junk in the ships (mask-less) a bunch and did made any permanent damage (I did spend an hour scrubbing oil and rust off the thing, though).

Then this year I took it to Hawaii and dived it. What a perfect drysuit for warm water. With minimal undies in the warm water it was easier to don and doff and more comfortable then a wet suit. And like DA said, I got the same good fit with one thin layer in HI as I did last Saturday with my cold winter thick stuff.

The negatives are the pockets, although my DIY velcro strips have solved that problem for me. And the biggest negative for me, with my size 12 feet and the extra thick wheezle socks, is getting past the too-narrow ankles when I putting it on and off.

I have buddies who dive the TSL and it looks like a nice suit (I have maybe 3 dives in a loaner). They have a lot more invested in it than I do in mine, so that helps 'em like it. :wink: Also a custom TSL just looks GOOD on a diver, where the Fusion can get you a few snickers and "Power Ranger" comments (Q: Does this suit make my butt look fat? A: Yes! :wink: ).

Yeah, that's the thing about the Fusion -- I have, so far, seen ONE person who looked good in it. But with my stringy hair and snotty nose after diving, the suit is a minor issue :)

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...
Ready to get my first dry suit.

Debating between Whites Fusion and more traditional DUI.

Looking for recommendations from people who've dived BOTH--ultimate drysuit face-off.

White's Fusion doesn't look too durable. (Is it?) What about DUI or even White's Legend line?

I own a whites legend and absolutely love it! I can really recommend that one. But I think they cost a lot, and I'm not sure if they make them anymore as it is no longer available on their website.

Hans

When you consider that the Fusion costs $1300-$1800 depending on options, that stock DUI suits costmore and that a custom DUI suit can cost $4K...

DUI suits aren't as expensive as people like to quote. Everyone cites "...up to $4k for a custom suit" but that's a bit disingenuous when you consider that many/most people will fit just fine in a stock size TLS-350 which can be had for around $1600.

DUI TLS-350 Drysuits at www.DiveSeekers.com

Even if you want to throw some options on it, it's still right there with the prices you quote for a Fusion.

As to durability my TLS-350 has around 200 wreck dives on it including many a tight penetration and the only pin-hole it ever developed was due entirely to "user error" and a poorly maintained dive platform on a boat in Catalina.

Ditto the hard to look good in it comment. I have been thinking hard about a custom "Shrek" skin for it as it does match the general shape and a "Shrek in a speedo" skin would divert attention away from the post dive snot and other issues.

I also agree with Ricks comments on the chicken stick proportioned legs it comes with. If you have muscular calves or big feet, you will end up having to step up a size to get your feet and/or lower legs into it. I have been hoping Whites has addressed it. but I have no idea if they have yet or not.

All that aside, there is no way I'd go back to a conventrional trilam suit.

DUI suits aren't as expensive as people like to quote. Everyone cites "...up to $4k for a custom suit" but that's a bit disingenuous when you consider that many/most people will fit just fine in a stock size TLS-350 which can be had for around $1600.

DUI TLS-350 Drysuits at www.DiveSeekers.com
The sale price is $1662 but the list price is still nearly $2100 and personally I have never gotten a great fit in a stock size.

I end up having to get the legs and often the arms shortened in a suit that fits the rest of me. That means shipping the suit off to Superior Diving Repair, or getting a custom suit - and the alteration options are a lot cheaper but play hell with the warranty. In contrast the Fusion offerred a no hassle instant perfect fit - and one that adjusts to whatever underwear I use. I'd need 2 DUI suits to get the same flexibility in thermal protection without having to dive a suit that is a little too big or a little too small in one or the other..

Back
Top Bottom