Whiskey Wreck and West Beach Paddlewheeler 11-12-6 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Met up with a newer diver today for a few dives, starting with the Whiskey Wreck. The last few days the surf has been relatively low and the newest cold front pretty much garaunteed a Sunday without surf. Water temps right around 70F and air temps just below, we headed into the water at Bahama Bobs. Surf was running about ankle high, maybe shin high, hardly worth mentioning really... Visibility was good at 10-15' with a few spots slightly milkier, nothing to complain about and we had no problems sticking together. There was more wreck uncovered on the West side that I haven't seen before and still several fish calling the divesite home. Pinfish, spades, porgies, mangroves, a few average flounder, electric skates, seargant majors, puffers, nudi's, could all be found throughout the divesite; we even spotted a few octopii. I hit a max depth at 18' at a lowtide for a dive lasting 78 minutes.

Got a fill and headed to the West Beach Paddlewheeler to see how it faired during the recent surf. From the surface, visibility looked similar to the Whiskey, but ended up averaging 3-5' with 10' visibility towards the surface. Alot of the bottom was covered with a cloud of silt and seaweed still. The eastside of the wreck was noticably uncovered moreso than last time, I tried to explore the westside but visibility really prevente the chances of that without leaving my buddy behind. There is a large school of very nice sized sheepshead on the wreck as well as small mangroves, seargant majors, spades, porgies, ect. I hit a max depth of 16' for a dive lasting just over 40minutes.

All in all, a great set of dives with decent enough visibility and smooth seas :) It was nice to jump back in the water after a few weekends of staying dry!

I sure am glad that the days you go the viz is good. When Billie and I go and the viz around the Whiskey looks a vanilla milkshake.

I went with Tracy, who apparently went with you guys weekend before last.

Ya know... if you guys check the surf regularly and don't go the day after there is big surf, you'd be better off :wink:

Keep an eye on wind direction and surf reports(or web cams).

...or get Billy to call me, chances are, I know what conditions are like :D There's usually a reason for me going to the springs. LOL

Nice report. I am still planning on diving the Whiskey during Thanksgiving weekend. Looking forward to it. Nice that it has variety of life on it.

This summer, the shore dives here were absolutely loaded with fish, they still carry quite a few though :)

Matt, you are so right but when Billie wants to dive he has to dive!!!!

Yeah, then he complains about how crappy beach dives are - LOL.

Nice Report Matt....i've Sooooo Busy Lately I Havent Gotten Wet. Maybe This Weekend Will Work Out.......

We're diving Destin Jetties Sat night and Morrison Springs Sunday morning(probably).

Back
Top Bottom