Which short steel tank??? help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AmyJ

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Not that I'm getting one TODAY! (that would be because I got a BC today!)... but hopefully in the near future I will be considering a tank. I would like steel (need the weight) and I really want one as short as possible, while still holding a comparable (sp?) amount of air to a "normal" tank. Are most rentals A80??? I do'nt want to run out of air before anyone else, just looking for something to not bonk me in the back of the head! :) Lots of sites don't seem to list actual dimensions of tanks, just air ratings. Thanks for any help!

HP80, short steel tank..........enjoy.

PST E7-80 would be a great steel tank. Another option would be to go with a neutral AL80. Less money for almost the same thing, especially if the weight is the only issue.
Just my $0.02.

AmyJ:
Just saw a set of PST E7-80s put together in my LDS yesterday.

Must say, I've never seen a cuter set of steel doubles, brand new and all shiny.

If you are a short woman, these tanks might be just the ticket - but remember, short tanks can (but do not necessarily) mean difficulty with trim - tending to go head down. The idea is to take the weight of the tanks and spread it between your shoulders and your pelvis so that you can rest motionless, horizontal, and neutral. For some, this requires longer tanks to move some weight toward their hips. It would be good to try before you buy...

FWIW. YMMV.

you can also still find the PST LP80's which are still shorter than a standard AL80 but taller than the HP80's.

Jason

LP/HP should be addressed first. What kind of diving will you be doing with the tanks? Do you dive in very cold water? Also how much weight do you currently wear with the aluminum rentals?
LP tanks are easier on regs in cold water, are easier to get complete fills with, and over the course of the dive their bouyancy changes less. They are a bit heavier and bulkier than HP tanks on land. They can be unruly on dive boats.
Personally, for the type of diving I typically do (warm water medium depth 45-65' reefs, no deco, enriched air nitrox) I prefer HP. Most serious divers that dive with us use HP 100's.

HP vs LP isn't what produces the buoyancy swing, it's the weight of gas. All 80s regardless of material will swing the same given the same volume used.

One thing that is nice for those who like the short E7-80 is that it is more negative in the water and weighs less out of the water. It's also considerably shorter than an AL80. IIRC, the E7-30 weighs 26# w/o gas vs 34# for a standard AL80. It's also about 4# more negative. I'd have to look up the numbers again, but the numbers are substantial for those who hate to lug around weight on their backs.

I think that the PST E7-80 is a very nice tank. Lighter than the Al-80, and also shorter. It also has the same width so you don't need to adjust your cam straps. There is a lot on the scubaboard about the durability of the hot-dipped galvanized finish too.

It's sounding really good to me! :) Thanks for all the suggestions!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom