Which rebreather???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DJJ

Reaction score
Hello folks out there. I'm new to this website, but thought I would give it a go ....

I have made the decision to buy a rebreather, but the information about which one to buy is both complex, confusing .... and from the bits of debate about rebreathers, quite an emotive subject for some.

What I don't want is a slagging off match between Inspiration/Evolution rebreathers v the rest of the rebreather world.

I have investigated the Inspiration and Evolution and (rather than the simple decision of buying the latest version) I am now worried that if I buy the Insiration I won't be able to travel with it, but if I buy the Evolution (which is lighter) will it cater for future trimix diving?
I initially thought these were the only 2 choices available to me, especially since I have seen them (but never dived with them) as they are the only rebreathers with the (forget the actual term) UK standards approval.

However, now an instructor who I spoke to swears by the Megladon rebreather (which I saw briefly at the London Dive show)

Any advice???

DJJ

wedivebc:
Have a look at at www.rebreatherworld.com if you want a serious answer to your question.

Dave

Thanks for this. A wealth of information which I have only touched on after 2 hours.

Definitely worth the time and effort.

I am beginning to get the feeling the best way is to talk to people who have tried different rebreathers and get their opinions

Cheers
DJJ

I am a total newbee for rebreathers, but want to start using them for the time the give underwater, the opportunities for trimix (and the longterm cost savings on gas) and for general ordinary diving.

I have been diving to the 55m mark on air and want to switch to trimix but the cost of the gas puts me off. Also the perfect justification to buy a rebreather.

DJJ

DJJ:
Dave

Thanks for this. A wealth of information which I have only touched on after 2 hours.

Definitely worth the time and effort.

I am beginning to get the feeling the best way is to talk to people who have tried different rebreathers and get their opinions

Cheers
DJJ
So just for my 2 psi worth, if I couldn't find a jumunji I would look at a sport KISS as the lightest most transprtable CCR out there. I can't comment on the evo because I haven't seen one yet. If deep trimix is your desire then megaladon or inspiration are the ones to look at.
I am looking at buying an inspiration soon and will keep my CCR converted Dolphin for lightweight travel breather.

DJJ:
Hello folks out there. I'm new to this website, but thought I would give it a go ....

I have made the decision to buy a rebreather, but the information about which one to buy is both complex, confusing .... and from the bits of debate about rebreathers, quite an emotive subject for some.

What I don't want is a slagging off match between Inspiration/Evolution rebreathers v the rest of the rebreather world.

I have investigated the Inspiration and Evolution and (rather than the simple decision of buying the latest version) I am now worried that if I buy the Insiration I won't be able to travel with it, but if I buy the Evolution (which is lighter) will it cater for future trimix diving?
I initially thought these were the only 2 choices available to me, especially since I have seen them (but never dived with them) as they are the only rebreathers with the (forget the actual term) UK standards approval.

However, now an instructor who I spoke to swears by the Megladon rebreather (which I saw briefly at the London Dive show)

Any advice???

DJJ

I had the chance to dive 6 different CCR units at Divetech's Innerspace event May 2005. The Evolution new electronic's was awesome and great for deep Tech divers along with Megladon. But if you have the money the Orobourus was the UNIT of all the CCR's. The new Kiss classic was a great unit especially for it's simplicity and light weight for travel. The new DiveRite, Optima was also a great unit to dive. You should give Nancy at Divetech a email and get her insight.

DJJ
Welcome to the board. I'm glad you were referred to a site that has good information for your search. You will also find lots of info here in the archives. If you run a search on CCR or similar, you will see a number of threads on this topic.

I, too, am interested in CCR RB's and hope to make the switch as a future date. The choices are staggering, though, aren't they?

I've been executing OC Trimix dive profiles for the last few years to depths of 90mt/300ft for times of approximately 15 minutes bottom with about 80 min deco obligation plus considerable expenses in gases, I'm also teaching Hypoxic Trimix courses as well, it's not the level of diving I would advocate for any diver and in even the most ideal training environments requires a high level of physical conditioning, mental dedication and pre-requisite experience.

I've just begun training on the CCR Inspiration, I can't say that this is the best unit due to my limited experience however from what I have researched so far it certainly seems to be one of the most produced and supported in terms of training, parts and advice (also opinions!!!). For those reasons, it was why I chose the Inspiration as my entry level CCR unit, now I'm converted, with only 9 hours logged I am already considering selling off my OC tech gear, boy what a change, here's to the dark side of the force!!! Maybe in the future I'll evolve to another unit depending upon my diving needs, either way if your end goal is mixed gas diving with extended bottom times and reduced decompression, CCR is the way forward.

For now I'd give the advice I give my OC trimix students, choose your Instructor wisely, look at your wants and needs from the training and consider the support and advice you'll get beyond the certification.

Even 'No Stop' diving takes on a different meaning on CCR, so with that in mind I'm off to sleep as I've planned 2 CCR dives in the am!!!!

Hello DJJ, welcome to the thorny thicket of CCR choice. I concur with Mverick. Your first task is to figure out your diving objectives and exactly how/where you will be using a CCR. As I always say: Do your homework. The more you know, the easier your choice will be. Things may seem complicated at first, but it will get clearer as you go along. And I for one began to actually enjoy using whatever scientific knowlege I had and learning more, like being back in school, but with an actual objective. Take all the time you need and make sure you understand all the design considerations of the various units you are looking at. There are all kinds of details that may seem small at first, but which wind up being important. It really is pretty interesting. I dive a Prism, which I think is the most capable and easiest to use. But I took many months to reach this conclusion. Good luck and enjoy-

I think silent running made a very inportant point. You really have to evaluate the kind of diving that you are going to be using the CCR for. It is very easy to get caught up in the numbers game with CCRs This scrubber duration, that lung volume, this electronics package, that whatever... I dive to a max of 150 for the vast majority of my dives. I do want to go deeper when I get the 3mix ticket but I dont see myself consistently going below 300 any time soon. This narrowed the field. I had a good list of the things I wanted in a unit but one that was easy to maintain, and didnt radicaly change my gear setup were big high on the list. Smaller field still. Almost all units would perform admirably but the KISS was my final choice as it suited my kind of diving. Really look at your diving and keep that in mind when you are hacking your way through all the information.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom