Which manifold is best?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quite an interesting thread however I respectfully disagree with some of the opinions on OMS Manifolds vs the Others..

This discussion does not appear to be grounded in engineering principles but rather in Imperical data and anecdotal experiences. ( ie It has 2 orings so more is better, I have it and it works so it is the best) :confused:

The Dive Rite/Halcyon shaft seal manifolds with two O-rings are designed that way because they have to be. One oring on a shaft seal is enough to seal, but if it was damaged or extruded under pressure nothing would back it up ( hence the second one). To put it in numbers lets say you have a one in 10 chance that could happen so you better double the oring.

The OMS is a captured O-ring just like a DIN regulator so it is a Face seal and nearly impossible to extrude. To use the number equation again it would be a one in 100 chance.

If shaft seals were so wonderfull all DIN regulators would be grooved to accept two O-rings rather than a face seal O-ring like they currently do. ( I don't hear anyone re-examining the DIN regulator yet or is that the next new thread?).

Both these manifold offer the same degree of safety with different features.

-The OMS is MUCH sturdier

-The shaft seal types are arguably easier to position and cheaper.

- The highland bands are wonderfull but the OMS ones do a fine job as well and are up to the task.

Both Manifolds Seal equally well !

Gadget... You might have missed a point... Or two or three...
OK please so give me your point or two or three... I am always willing to be educated, when facts can be presented. :doctor:

BTW I have two OMS manifolds ( twin 112's twin HP 100's) and a thermo (twin 98's) No, I do not use Valve gaurds but am intrigued by them. So far I have manged to not bounce into too many things, although coming out of little river a couple years back I would have liked them ( bong!)

I like reading the uncle's posts so I hope mine hasn't been too "Pugnacious" :D

Originally posted by gadget
I like reading the uncle's posts so I hope mine hasn't been too "Pugnacious" :D
Shoot no Gadget.... you're not too pugnacious.
And you made a point but still missed it.
BTW what does *Imperical data * mean?
And are the following quotes what you mean by *when facts can be presented*?

*To put it in numbers lets say you have a one in 10 chance that could happen*

and

*To use the number equation again it would be a one in 100 chance. *

DocRCH, I considered a neoprene drysuit but I've been diving in my semi-dry wetsuit for so long that I'd kind of like to get away from the bulk and restriction inherent to neoprene. What do you guys recommend for drysuit accessories (pockets, dry neck hood, dry gloves, etc...)? Up here, knee pads are a must.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom