Which manifold is best?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave Marvin

Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to buy my 1st isolation manifold. The more research I do, the more confused I get. Should it have captured o-rings or barrel-style o-rings? OMS manifolds look pretty beefy, and incorporate captured o-rings. Halcyon and DiveRite have barrel-style o-rings but, to me, don't look quite so substantial. I'd appreciate your opinions...

I have the OMS manifold

whish i got the halcyon or Dive Rite tho. I beleive the OMS manifold uses 1 o ring to seal the center isolator where the others listed use 2 orings per side. If i was to do it again i would get the double sealed manifold ( pick your brand).

I will be replacing my OMS in the next 3 months with a Halcyon.

Andy

Originally posted by trymixdiver
I will be replacing my OMS in the next 3 months with a Halcyon.
Hey Dave! Here is your chance to score... take the OMS manifold off of Andy's hands at a substantial discount so he can get the best....

No... wait... you wanted the best too....

Hmmm.... I'll tell you what to do....
Buy the seaelite 300bar iso manifold from divers supply for $170...
They are identical to the halcyon... rubber knobs and all.
http://www.cpostores.com/diverssupply/browse.cfm/4,8775,0,0,0.htm
This picture shows the wrong knobs... the ones you get are rubber.

Weird coincidence, I was just reading OMS’ FUD about barrel O-ring manifolds versus their manifolds just yesterday (http://www.omsdive.com/faq.html).

Is their valve stronger? Who knows? Does it matter? No.

You see, good bands on a correctly assembled set of doubles will hold and support the cylinders in the correct position such that there’s NO stress on the crossover. My crossover spins freely about a half a revolution on my doubles.

Maybe you need a strong crossover if you have cheap bands. This may be the reason behind OMS’ strong manifold; their narrow bands wont support doubles like the Highland bands do (http://www.highland-millwork.com/).

So I guess bad bands lead to a bad crossover design, and along with bad wings and bad advice, I’d say OMS is batting a thousand!

Get the Highland bands and a SeaElite manifold from the place that Pug pointed you to, you’ll never be sorry.

Roak

Ps. Assemble the doubles yourself to make sure they’re done right.

When you buy your manifold and bands, make sure that the bands do not put a stress on the manifold. If you use company A's manifold and company B's bands, you may have a situation where the manifold does not line up exactly with the tanks. OMS bands line up with their manifold. Be very careful if you are using products from different manufactures.

Robert:doctor:

Originally posted by DocRCH
When you buy your manifold and bands, make sure that the bands do not put a stress on the manifold.
Then you would want Highland Millworks bands designed specifically for the manifold you are using... see the HM site that Roak posted for the list and note the HM treatise on the sizing of bands.... these folks make the stuff.... they don't import it from who knows where and throw it all together in a box. The HM bands holding my 104s together are super stout and like Roak says... so finely tuned that the cross over can rotate freely if I so desire (and I do.) Course with the OMS you wouldn't be able to get your cross over to rotate would you?! Does any one know why you want the cross over to be free to rotate? (hold up for a minute Roak.)

Originally posted by DocRCH
Be very careful if you are using products from different manufactures.
Good point.

If you go the Highland Band route, they want to know the cylinder size, the manifold type and the backplate you're using (in order to ship the correct length bolts).

Highland Millworks really has their act together in this regard.

Roak

'cuz it'll move rather than shear-off when/if you slam into the
overhead while you are scootering way-too-fast !!!

The only positive I have for my OMS is at 10 yrs old or better they don't have a bow in them from being carried by the crossover.I still prefer sea-elite but after a few years I've noticed they can get a bow.Not that any threading probs have occurred,but it looks funny.

Back
Top Bottom