Which manifold is best?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HM bands are far superior to the other bands. Highland-Millworks really has their stuff together. If they would understand that you don't use metal to metal to metal on everything they would be a lot better, but their metal work is superb.

If you can't scooter without slamming something, you shouldn't scooter at all!

I got a set up from Scubalux and the manifold is a Thermo. 300 Bar, much deeper threads than my Dive Rite or my Scubapro manifolds. It is real beefy too. It has the 2 oring/side sliding barrell seal as opposed to the captured type. Looks good to me.

Man, this forum is really great. I've learned so much from you guys in such a short time. You can't beat the experience of others... You've talked me out of the OMS manifolds. They're beefier than the others, but my wife assures me that 'bigger' doesn't necessarily mean better. I'm definitely going with the HM bands. I'll probably go with the Seaelite manifold, although I'd like to check out the Thermo, that Campana suggested. So, it's looking like the Halcyon harness, backplate and wings, and Apeks DS4/TX50 (to compliment my Mares Abyss), with a DUI CF200 (shoulder entry) will round out my gear. Additionnal comments are welcome. Thanx...

Originally posted by Dave Marvin
...with a DUI CF200 (shoulder entry) will round out my gear.
If you don't have this suit yet, rethink this option. I'd suggest a DUI TLS350 "Cave cut."

Roak

Originally posted by roakey

If you don't have this suit yet, rethink this option. I'd suggest a DUI TLS350 "Cave cut."

Roak
You know Roak... I would have said the same thing... but I have to admit that the CF200 I just bought is better than I thought it would be....

I really had mixed feelings getting it because I like the lightweight trilams so much... but since it fit so well, and since it is tougher than man eating barnacles, and since I still have my (repaired) trilam suit I went ahead... but with trepidation...

I didn't know if the flexibility I have enjoyed with the trilam would be there for me.... but I can reach my valves just as easily and I am actually more streamlined than before... I know this because the prop setting on the scooter for Shane to keep up with me has changed a notch from when I dove the trilam.

So... what is the reason for the suggestion to get the 350 trimlam over the CF200?

I know you must have a reason or two...

Originally posted by roakey

From discussions elsewhere, I've gotten the impression that the cave-cut is primarily intended for scootering and is overly restrictive for swimming.

Just throwing that out for discussion....

Most of my diving is in Lake Champlain where essentially all my dives are cold water dives. I also go under the ice, but the water at depth in the summer isn't really any warmer than under the ice in winter. I also occasionally dive Lake Ontario. The zebra mussels up here will cut a suit to pieces if you aren't real careful. I don't plan on caving any more than once or twice a year. So for durability, I thought the crushed neoprene would be better. That's what most people up here seem to prefer. Nobody up here scooters. We're talking 15' vis on a good summer day!

Originally posted by Divesherpa
If you can't scooter without slamming something, you shouldn't scooter at all!

That's pretty funny. I recently watched the Wakulla video that Wendy sent me, and watched as JJ (I think it was him) scootered right into a ceiling. You could see the chunks of cave coming down behind him.

If most of your diving is in cold water with a strong potential for abasion, you might want to consider a neoprene suit. They wear like iron, and have extra insulation in addition. Most of my diving is in cold sea water on wrecks and I have found that neopene does quite well. Just my opinion.

Robert:doctor:

Back
Top Bottom