which is your favorite tech scuba agency?

which is your favorite tech scuba agency?

• IANTD

Votes: 19 33.3%
  • ANDI

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • TDI

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • GUE

Votes: 15 26.3%
  • NAUI

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • DSAT

Votes: 2 3.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I did my looking around, the gang at the shop I go to now seemed the most confident in their knowlege and the materials were more or less more technical. Being technical in nature, I found that appealing and made my decision as such.

ok

I don't know anything about ANDI or the NAUI tech program so I can't really address em. So I didn't vote for them but I didn't really vote against them either.

I think GUE has done some great things. So far, from what I've seen, they have maintained good quality. I have a lot of respect for what they're doing but personally I don't want anything to do with certifications that expire. Call it a certificate of training completion or whatever but I meet the requirements of the training and the agency gives me a piece of paper/plastic that says I did it and out business is finished. If I need anything else I'll call them. I'll except responsibility for being ready for any dive I choose to do down the road with no help from them thank you very much. Their teaching also seems pretty narrow ie team diving (caves and tech). They don't address other situations like sidemount in their training. That's ok, I don't teach that either but it exosts and sometimes it's required.

I did take one TDI class but I didn't pick TDI, I picked the instructor.

Overall, I like the IANTD philosophy the best. I think they have some house cleaning to do and some QA issues but I'm talking about what's in the texts and standards. I don't agree with everything but the idea is to teach student to evealuate equipment configuration, evaluate risk and choose an approach to a given dive.

The older agencies like have a confusing array of classes that overlap. I guess that's because as they add new offerings they do it as an additional class rather than integrating it into existing classes. Flexability? Maybe. In comparison an agency like GUE has a cleaner more streamlined list of course offerings.

All things considered I voted for IANTD but if Tom Mount called and asked me my opinion, I'd have plenty to say. LOL

I'm ANDI Tech and a NAUI instructor so I will have to go with both of those.

Im doing my deco and trimix courses with TDI cause of the instructor is really good and use lots of his own material but if he wasent teaching and i would have to start with another agency there is no doubt in my mind that i would go with GUE

I have just completed PADI/DSTAT's Tec Deep course and I do not see it listed as one of the choices.

It is a very well documented couse with in depth materials. They have also release a Trimox course this year with the same quality materials.

NEWreckDiver once bubbled...
I have just completed PADI/DSTAT's Tec Deep course and I do not see it listed as one of the choices.

It is a very well documented couse with in depth materials. They have also release a Trimox course this year with the same quality materials.

I had not heard anything new about PADI since they started their tec rec about a year ago. Sorry about leaving them off.

If a moderator could add a line for PADI, that would be appreciated.

I went IANTD several years ago,GUE has great ideas but they were really young then and I wasn't able to get a reply.I have met lots of instructors in various cavesites and some in diveshops and wasn't able to guess their affiliation until I asked so I beleive the instructor makes the course.

Done IANTD to Trimix in the 90s at Billy Beans, also TDI and then GUE Tech-1 and -2

If i would ask myself what course gave me the most benefit, i would vote for GUE.
Then IANTD, because of the Instructor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom