Where to go, what to wear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So basically my options are close to town with long boat rides or far from town with shorter boat rides? Hmm, that's a tough call. Is there anything on the southern side of the island besides hotels, or is it just resort after resort? I'd like to be able to leave to get food and have a couple of items on my to-do list that will probably require me to go into town.

Those 'long' boat rides are actually to me a very pleasant and much looked forward to experience. I might be weird, but when the weather is sunny and warm and I'm speeding along on those calm close to shore waters with the warm wind blowing I love to sit on the gunwail and just absorb the ride, watching those incredibly beautiful different shades of blue of the Cozumel waters go by due to the white sand patches you're going over... I actually soak that in, relaxing and decompressing from 'normal' life back home and get into Cozumel mode, trying to memorize those colors and enjoy the experience and absorb it, because it will all be over too soon. Those colors are unique to Cozumel and as many places as I've been, I've rarely been to a place where the water rivals the way it looks in Cozumel. And the last dive and the boat ride back always seems to go by too quickly!

+ the occasional flying fish, dolphin, pilot whale pod, etc sighting.

I'm just going to address the "where people congregate" part. We've found Blue Angel to be very social over the years. Villablanca, Hotel Cozumel and a few others less so. We stopped by Villa Aldora one afternoon and chatted with a couple of people--they seemed set up well for mingling, but you'd want to ask people who actually stay there. I suspect Scuba Club is social as well. What they have in common is that they are smaller hotels where most of the people are diving with the house op, so the guests are likely to want to compare notes at the end of the day or over meals. All of the places I think of as friendly are reasonably close to town. I would imagine some bed-and-breakfasts are great choices as well. We also have enjoyed staying at some of the mid-size in-town hotels, which might open you up to more conversations with locals if you're hanging around the town square etc., but you're probably less likely to find yourself bumping into other guests.

As far as dive ops, socially speaking, you might be fine with ones that do all or most of their surface intervals at a beach--it just won't likely be your hotel's beach area. I suppose every dive op has its own culture, to some extent. A lot of dive ops pull to land, either a pier/empty beach (my preference) or a developed beach club with restaurant, bathrooms, diapered iguanas, etc. Sometimes surface intervals get done on the boat--if it matters to you, ask the operation about what it typically does. One of the good things about the valet operations that pride themselves on long surface intervals at a beach club is that you're there for so long, oftentimes over food, that you're bound to get to know your fellow divers a bit--dinner plans sometimes get made.

We haven't stayed at a far-south hotel in decades, and for all I know, it's easy to make friends at those big hotels too, but they are pretty far out there.

We stayed at the Sabor a couple times. We spent a lot in taxis. If you don't like boat rides, being south means shorter ones.
We stayed at Hotel Cozumel as well. Longer rides, but still not bad, and a nice walk into town. It's AI but not enough restaurants, so with a 2 week trip the meals got repetitive.
We're staying at the Palace this trip.
People are friendly everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

We've met some truly wonderful friends during our various stays at the Blue Angel. It's a very social place, and we are very social people so it was a good fit. I don't think I bought my own drink during happy hour the entire time last trip - but YMMV~

The boat rides from that area (Villablanca, BA, Scuba Club) are not too far depending on the size and speed of the boat. We like to forgo the bathroom/larger boat option for a panga that gets us to the Palancar area with just enough time to wake up, check gear, and squeeze last night's amazing dinner into that wetsuit!

That area is also an asy walk to Mega (the grocery store) and a 20 minute +/- walk to downtown. I couldn't imagine going to Coz and not eating out! We are usually just as bummed to run out of days because we haven't eaten everything we wanted to try as we are to be done with diving - the variety and the food is really that good IMHO!

Hotel Cozumel is optional AI. We opted not to eat there. Maybe that's part of the reason why we found it pretty impersonal and didn't meet a soul--that and it's kind of huge. You've possibly read that the closer-to-town southern hotels tend to have man-made beaches. To its credit, Hotel Cozumel's is bigger than most, and their pool is billed as the island's largest. And they have organized activities (bingo, dance lessons, etc.), if you go in for that sort of thing. Cruise ship passengers visit frequently--I think they buy day passes. I'm pretty sure Hotel Coz wouldn't be anywhere near my top choice if I were traveling alone, but it's an okay place to sleep, and the location is good, other than the rooms not being on the water. And it's fairly cheap.

And for the record, I like the boat rides too.

You said Blue Angel was looking okay to you, but they didn't have rooms for your dates. I know they frequently put people into the Villablanca for overflow (if BA does the booking, they might give you breakfast at BA--not absolutely sure). Some of the (superior) rooms at the VB are pretty nice, and it's close enough that if you're diving with BA, you'd probably be comfortable hanging out with any new dive friends at the restaurant. And there are a couple of congenial bar/restaurants right by the VB as well. The hotel itself doesn't quite have the intimate vibe that the BA has, or the unobstructed views, and you might yet find options you like better, but it's not a terrible way to go.

If you're willing to forgo a more social hotel, a good waterfront balcony at Casa Mexicana, Vista del Mar or similar place gives you lots of eye candy in lieu of conversation. Dive pier across the street, but not as many operators pick up from there--not that you'd likely be complaining.

If you go too far south for a hotel, it is pretty much resort after resort, punctuated by beach clubs. Couple of independent bar/restaurants, but most people down there are doing AIs.

Hotel Cozumel is optional AI. We opted not to eat there. Maybe that's part of the reason why we found it pretty impersonal and didn't meet a soul--that and it's kind of huge. You've possibly read that the closer-to-town southern hotels tend to have man-made beaches. To its credit, Hotel Cozumel's is bigger than most, and their pool is billed as the island's largest.

According to their web site, Cozumel Palace has the biggest pool. I won't be in it till February, but I can say categorically that the pool at Hotel Cozumel isn't particularly large.

I think I'm going to go with Casa Mexicana. Blue Angel would have been my first choice, but they seem to be full that week. Casa Mexicana looks nice and there should be plenty to do around there when I'm done diving for the day. I briefly considered Iberostar because of the price, convenience and location near the reefs, but I just pictured myself spending all afternoon and evening watching TV in my room by myself and that's not how I want to spend my vacation. Casa Mexicana may not be the most social hotel in Cozumel but it looks nice and I think I'll find plenty to keep me occupied.

Hotel Cozumel seemed to check a lot of my boxes, but I just can't ignore all the bad reviews on Tripadvisor. I'd be really annoyed if I had to listen to bingo and dance music on a loudspeaker all night.

Hotel Cozumel seemed to check a lot of my boxes, but I just can't ignore all the bad reviews on Tripadvisor. I'd be really annoyed if I had to listen to bingo and dance music on a loudspeaker all night.

We stay at Hotel Cozumel and have never heard loud music and bingo all night. We tend to go to bed fairly early (10ish) and have never been bothered by noise. Bingo is in the afternoon around the pool usually one game and its over.
As for Tripadvisor reviews I would take the with a grain of salt, you really can't please some people and they are the ones more likely to post on TA. imho

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom