where to buy dry gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

These are the same gloves that came with my Kubi rings.

Results for 'Ansell g17k'

I have bought several pairs from zoro.com. The site is legit and you can't beat the price.

I typically wear size L or XL in gloves like motorcycle or mechanics gloves. I think my Ansell gloves are 10.5. But, what works best will depend on what you wear for a liner. Fortunately, from zoro they are so cheap you can buy 2 or 3 different sizes.

My first pair lasted me a full year before I finally got a tiny hole in one.

Ps. In case you don't click the link I posted, the gloves are just over $2 per pair.

They are 30 mil, which gives great dexterity.

I've been using these gloves for years with my Sitech Antares rings. They are a bit thinner than the standard "smurf" glove but they have much more dexterity. Additionally, the textured coating adds a nice amount of grip that isn't present on most other gloves. I previously had used the black latex gloves some have recommended, but I've found these to be much better overall.

SHOWA NSK 24 Nitrile-Coated Glove, Cotton Interlock Liner, Chemical Resistant, 14" Length, Small (Pack of 12 Pairs): Chemical Resistant Safety Gloves: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

The three common gloves you'll hear about are the Showa 660, and 495 (both PVC), and the Ansell G17k (latex).

I'm using Showa 660 gloves. I also have a set of Showa 495 gloves lying around. I'm also using a pair of knitted wool gloves with tinsulate in them I got off ebay as liners. They're dirt cheap, and you can pick them up for under ten bucks a pair. Personally I found they've got FAR FAR better insulation than the yellow liners that come standard with a pair of 495s, yet have little (if any) more bulk. They are also far warmer if you flood a glove as I did a few weekends back whilst wreck crawling.

My hands are around a 9.5

WATCH OUT - The sizing between the 495 and the 660 are not at all consistent! The 495s have huge huge fingers, and also more space around the palm compared with the same size of 660s.

To give you an idea, the set of 495 gloves I have is size L. According to Showa's sizing chart, L is for a size 9. They're chunky and you could fit a ton of insulating glove underneath. Picture a glove designed for someone with stubby balloon fingers. I'm still swimming (no pun intended) in the XL ones with the thinsulate liners I've got. I could probably get two pairs of liners underneath if I really wanted due to really really cold water and long exposure time.

The pair of 660s I have on the other hand are size XL . According to Showa's sizing chart, XL is for a size 10. With my thinsulate liners on, these are perfect for me. In 10deg c water, I'm still toasty. I'm sure they'd be fine for plenty colder.

496 and 660 sizing (as per the above, take with a pinch of salt):
SHOWA 660 Oil Resistant | Showa Gloves
SHOWA 495

I'm using something like this under my gloves:
New Men's Thinsulate Extreme Winter Warm Wool Knitted Thermal Black Gloves

I think I'd only ever go for the 495 over the 660 if the water was EXTREMELY cold, and I was expecting to be in it for a very long time, simply due to the extra amount of insulation you can pack into them.

Something else to note. The sleeve portion of the 495s is gigantic. I know that with my size L ones, the sleeve is too large to fit into the Antares rings - so if that is the system you have on your D9, forget it and go for the 660s. They'd fit on my new Ultima dry gloves without a problem though.

I have a couple of pairs of G17k gloves sitting around, but I have never used them. The pairs I have sitting around are size 9.5. If I was to order again, I'd go for the 10.5 if I intended to wear one pair of tinsulate gloves under them. The latex G17k feel far less sturdy compared to the Showa PVC gloves. They'd probably be fine if you don't plan on grabbing anything abrasive like sharp rocks or bits of wreck.

Hope it helps,
Bevan

P.S. If you go with the showa style gloves over the G17k latex style, I have had good luck repairing holes on them by cleaning with a bit of alcohol, then just putting a dollop of aquaseal over the hole.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom