Glove solution for dry suit with no dry glove seals (rings)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some of us like to have bare hands to get geared up. Obviously not a problem for you! 🤣😂

I can’t imagine getting my neck seal straightened out with gloves on.
After you do it 10 times, you don't think anything of it. Bare hands are great, but there really shouldn't be anything on your gear that you can't manipulate once you are dressed and in the water.

After you do it 10 times, you don't think anything of it. Bare hands are great, but there really shouldn't be anything on your gear that you can't manipulate once you are dressed and in the water.

I can do everything gloved except the effing neck seal. I have no clue why DUI has to add so much extra length to them. SITech doesn’t do that to their seams. Really the only thing I despise about my suit.

I can do everything gloved except the effing neck seal. I have no clue why DUI has to add so much extra length to them. SITech doesn’t do that to their seams. Really the only thing I despise about my suit.
I don't know. I have never owned or used a zip neck seal. I have installed many and you are correct, they are very long. I would guess it is so they can be a true one size fits all.

To this day, I still like these:

I use them installed on my zip seals....

I now use pullover dry gloves after using a couple of other systems. I find them a lot less bulky and have yet to have a leak with them which I did experience with the other systems. They are also a very low cost solution nd the Industrial Marigold gloves provide better dexterity than I found with other gloves. Since it can be difficult to don the second glove I came up with a simple solution. Jill Heinerth made a video of them. The rings she is showing are actually made from an ABS pipe coupling and not the 3D printed ones I also gave her.

Pre-fitted gloves sound awful. What happens when you cut the glove underwater?

Kubi gloves are probably the most popular dry glove system of all. There’s a good reason: they work. Very well. They’re easy to use and very easy to change gloves and seals - one minute for a glove. As they’ve got wrist seals, it’s trivial to remove a string air gap (use a knot) and seal the water outside. Cold hand maybe, but not a life-threatening suit flood.

I like to kit up with bare hands especially if it’s sunny. Gloves go on last once I’m fully kitted up.

Pre-fitted gloves sound awful. What happens when you cut the glove underwater?

Kubi gloves are probably the most popular dry glove system of all. There’s a good reason: they work. Very well. They’re easy to use and very easy to change gloves and seals - one minute for a glove. As they’ve got wrist seals, it’s trivial to remove a string air gap (use a knot) and seal the water outside. Cold hand maybe, but not a life-threatening suit flood.

I like to kit up with bare hands especially if it’s sunny. Gloves go on last once I’m fully kitted up.
The same thing as if you cut any glove underwater. You get wet.

The same thing as if you cut any glove underwater. You get wet.
With many dry glove systems just your hand will get wet or maybe also your sleeve if you don't immediately remove the equalization tube as you still have an intact wrist seal.

With many dry glove systems just your hand will get wet or maybe also your sleeve if you don't immediately remove the equalization tube as you still have an intact wrist seal.
I have not ran wrist seals with dry gloves in years. I have also never cut a glove underwater. I haven't had a leaking glove since going to zip gloves as it was always the ring system providing the leaks.
I think most people have a perceived risk that doesn't actually pose a real threat. I will take the warm hands anyday.

I have not ran wrist seals with dry gloves in years. I have also never cut a glove underwater. I haven't had a leaking glove since going to zip gloves as it was always the ring system providing the leaks.
In the summer months I use thinner gloves, the G17K style black&white. This gives me more dexterity and I can feel far more through them.

My winter gloves are thicker but I loose dexterity and can’t feel a thing; like wearing boxing gloves (sort of). This makes simple bolt snap manipulation a right challenge, especially any smaller clips. The hardest thing is trying to sort out a tangle or even cross-clipped boltsnaps when you can’t see them.

Winter gloves are very resilient to cuts/holes.

Summer gloves are far more susceptible to tiny holes or tearing. Particularly if heaving a sidemount bungee which catches the fingertip. I’ve had full glove floods, leaks and a total rip. Whenever that happens it’s imperative to get the equalisation string out of the cuff seal. I use a larger knot which can be pulled through from the outside of the glove. At the worst case I would take the glove off underwater and sort out the seal.

BTW I use Fourth Element Glove Liners which are thin neoprene gloves. These are warm when wet but are thin enough to feel through. In winter I’ll add some wrist warmers.

Back
Top Bottom