Where/how to buy gear ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NoFe2O3

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have recently moved to a new state, and I'm developing a good relationship with my local dive shop. I'm in the market for some new gear, and I really believe in suppporting my local businesses.

That said, their price for the equipment that I'm eyeing is about $600, versus the same thing for $450-$500 on the Internet.

Any suggestions how to proceed ? Like I said, I'd like to give them my business, but it's hard to justfiy paying so much extra...

Last edited:
Hi All,

I have recently moved to a new state, and I'm developing a good relationship with my local dive shop. I'm in the market for some new gear, and I really believe in suppporting my local businesses.

That said, their price for the equipment that I'm eyeing is about $600, versus the same thing for $450-$500 on the Internet.

Any suggestions how to proceed ? Like I said, I'd like to give them my business, but it's hard to justfiy paying so much extra...

If it's for exactly the same equipment then print out the internet prices and bring it to your LDS and ask them to match it, or at least get much closer to it? Many LDS's will do that. At least you'll know if they will negotiate? Ultimately, the premium you are willing to pay above the internet sites prices for instant gratification and local service is up to you.

I would call on the phone, not identify myself, ask if they match internet prices. If they have a reasonable answer, then you can come in with a print out of an internet price. If they go off on you on the phone and get pissed about the sggestion, then never mention it to them again. Go buy the gear on the internet and keep it a secret from them. They will never know the difference since you are new in the area.

Some shops will get so pissed at the suggestion that it will ruin the relationship right from the start.

My local shop SAYS they will beat all intenet prices except Leisure Pro, but I have presented iMternet prices from other vendors, they sometimes look at them and just say. "we won't make enough money at that price, we won't match it". It ain't worth pushing the issue for me. I pretty much buy nothing from them now, except mayne $800 worrth of fills a year, even though they advertise a price match policy.

we will match any AUTHORIZED dealers price. Key word is authorized...a benefit from purchasing from a lds is if the facility has a on site pool,very often you can use it at NO cost .Purchase elsewhere and want to use the gear in our pool then there is a cost to using the pool.

based on your math, you are paying the LDS a 20% premium, but only you can decide if having a personal touch relationship is worth the markup. (do you want to do trips with them, use their pool, attend scuba gatherings with them (dive locally with their group)...expect 'favors' from them...ie 'I'm going on a trip tomorrow and I need you to fix my reg tonight' type stuff.

we will match any AUTHORIZED dealers price. Key word is authorized...a benefit from purchasing from a lds is if the facility has a on site pool,very often you can use it at NO cost .Purchase elsewhere and want to use the gear in our pool then there is a cost to using the pool.

So If LP is authorized for Oceanic, you will meet their prices on Oceanic stuff? (if you sell that of course...!).

Hi All,

I have recently moved to a new state, and I'm developing a good relationship with my local dive shop. I'm in the market for some new gear, and I really believe in supporting my local businesses.

That said, their price for the equipment that I'm eying is about $600, versus the same thing for $450-$500 on the Internet.

Any suggestions how to proceed ? Like I said, I'd like to give them my business, but it's hard to justify paying so much extra...

It sounds like you're facing a 20% premium to buy local. In general that's a good investment in my book. If you haven't factored shipping etc. vs. local taxes it may be even closer. If one item is a misfit or needs adjustment the shop is an instant bargain.

Being square with them may net you a discount or other value, like an air card.

Pete

So If LP is authorized for Oceanic, you will meet their prices on Oceanic stuff? (if you sell that of course...!).

Yes. Lp is authorized dealer for Oceanic, so are we,will match price.
I am not the owner of the LDS ,but that has been his policy.
Consumer may save $ because of no shipping fee,they pick it up at the store,and get gear from people who actually dive. We research LP and other online retailers such as B&H photo.We sell ikelite product,such as housings-strobes at same price as B&H photo,and we advise you on its use,something that you cannot get online.

Yes. Lp is authorized dealer for Oceanic, so are we,will match price.
I am not the owner of the LDS ,but that has been his policy.
Consumer may save $ because of no shipping fee,they pick it up at the store,and get gear from people who actually dive. We research LP and other online retailers such as B&H photo.We sell ikelite product,such as housings-strobes at same price as B&H photo,and we advise you on its use,something that you cannot get online.

That's an excellent policy. I'll try and stop by next time I'm up there!

$600 is 33% more than $450.

Why should we have to pay that much extra to "support your LDS":confused :confused:

Back
Top Bottom