WHEN to dive WHERE in SEA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok added more lines separating 4 regions in North Sulawesi (can someone complete for Gorontalo, I don't know whatht's the weather pattern).
Also separated SW (Selayar which is closed June-Aug) and SE Sulawesi (Wakatobi)
Added central Sulawesi (Togians) as well maybe someone will also complete the cells which are all white for the moment.

I'm not sure what the "South Lombok pinnacle / hammerhead site" is but my personal opinion is that we should not list every dive site as it will just get too unwieldy. I think we just want to list dives AREAS to aid potential visitors' own research. What do others think?
Definitely did not mean to suggest individual sites should be listed. When Layang Layang was added, I figured the South Lombok hammerheads were basically equivalent (most people visit LL because of the hammerheads). Especially since the chart is heavily weighted towards Indo diving, Lombok is simple to get to from Bali, and there are few places with great HH odds across SEA. I think you can dive South Lombok year round, but the HH are definitely seasonal, as they are in LL.

I've no dog in this fight - you all can decide.

What about the Japan entries?

EDIT: Also no PNG or Timor entries?

Last edited by a moderator:
I figured PNG was out for geography - it's more Pacific, not really SEA.

East Timor would be a good inclusion though.

Correct..in my Geography degree PNG is not South East Asia - im sticking with that.

Also if you are going to include PNG why not include the rest of Melanesia and Micronesia - starting to get way off track here.

No Sumatra? Charlier have you ever noticed any differents in seasonal diving in Cubadak? the south side of Sumatra is less affected by weather patterns than say Palau Weh. If the point of this exercise is to provide rough guides to seasons in SEA it would be very complex to start adding in areas that are not SEA.

I know nothing about Okinawa diving conditions but here's a tidbit from the Japan forum
[...] diving in Okinawa is great in Dec-Jan timeframe no crowds, clear water and the coral is still quite good if you know the spots. Water is cooler that time of year probably in the low 20's by Dec.
Diving Okinawa in winter?

IMG_5071.PNG

Has anyone been in Pulau Weh Resort near Aceh?

Yes but not for a few years - from recent reports Weh and the Derawans are very popular with weekend crowds from Singapore. I will look back through my passport and see what time of the year I have been in Weh - the diving from memory was not bad but I have heard there has been a lot of overfishing and some dynamiting. Hopefully someone who has been there within the last three years may have more first hand info.

Will also add divers heading to Aceh should be aware of the recent quake damage and keep an eye on the political situation re the morality police. Do not attempt to cruise down the street in Aceh holding hands with your significant other dressed in your beach wear. Generally Sumatra rule is females keep shoulders covered and dress modestly until you get into the resort you are staying at.

My only trip to Pulau Weh was pre-Indian Ocean tsunami, so my experience is waaaaaaaaay out of date.

Back
Top Bottom