WHEN to dive WHERE in SEA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Honestly, I think it's hard to really fill this in.

I've been to RA at "the best time of year" and had horrific viz and terrible weather.

I was in the Philippines over Christmas and New Years and got smashed by a typhoon - outside of monsoon season.

I'm reluctant to suggest things for this because I think it's so hit and miss these days. Weather patterns have become totally messed up.

Im with WP on this one - so many variables. I see Krabi for example is marked as green good to go at this time of the year yet the seas are pretty rough and there is again heavy flooding in the southern provinces so photographers would find diving totally abysmal. There has reportedly been a diver death not too far from Krabi province.

Ive had great luck diving Bangka at times when Luko felt it not optimum, I often dive in off season due to less crowds and so far have been lucky - except in Ao Nang Krabi where ive often had no boats going out cancellations due to weather at all times of the year.

Last edited:
The info is obviously given with a grain of salt so to speak, and yes we all know the weather is pretty messed up right now....but the info will still be useful as a starting point.

Clearly there are "no go" seasons for some places, like RA in June-July-August?

Right now I am trying to find where we should go in July and not coming up with much that sounds good for that time of year.

- Bill

Clearly there are "no go" seasons for some places, like RA in June-July-August?
Nope, one of my friends french diver and blogger, now tells me there she would never go back to R4 Dampier straits area outside low season July August that combines better viz and less divers around, no mantas but who gives a f*** for sitting a whole dive on a bare manta station while you can have it in Komodo or Bali.

That's my only concern with the light green or white shades on this type of spreadsheet.
If someone can give me write access.

No such chart will represent everything. Delighted you're going to give it a try!

I think only Melanie can give you write access as she is the owner.

I made the last changes but if you have a better idea, obviously just do it.

- Bill

Last edited:
I think only Melanie can give you write access as she is the owner.

I tried to leave the document as "open" as possible, in order to make it easier to share, and as I see this document as a collective work. Editors are supposed to be able to change access and add new people. Please tell me if that's not the case, and I'll try to see what I can do to correct that.

Anyways, @Luko, you're in. Please feel free to bring any improvement you see fit.

You may want to specify Kalimantan as East Kalimantan & the best time to dive is from March to October, as mentioned here: Dive Maratua Island

There are no good dive sites in the south & west of Kalimantan. The north side is Borneo, belongs to Malaysia. You already mention Layang-Layang & Sipadan. In fact Sipadan is just a few miles north of Maratua Atoll, East Kalimantan, which includes Kakaban (the only sting-less jellyfish lake available for visit currently, as the one in Palau is closed for rejuvenation from El Niño & Chinese invasion. Sharks are already almost gone, now the stingless jellyfish is the new target by the Chinese), Derawan, Sangalaki, Nunukan & Nabucco.

Actually there is another stingless jellyfish lake, but I won't posted it here in fear of getting wiped out also. So, for those who haven't seen one or snorkeling with them, do it soon before they are gone from Kakaban.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom