WHEN to dive WHERE in SEA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You may want to specify Kalimantan as East Kalimantan & the best time to dive is from March to October, as mentioned here: Dive Maratua Island

There are no good dive sites in the south & west of Kalimantan. The north side is Borneo, belongs to Malaysia. You already mention Layang-Layang & Sipadan. In fact Sipadan is just a few miles north of Maratua Atoll, East Kalimantan, which includes Kakaban (the only sting-less jellyfish lake available for visit currently, as the one in Palau is closed for rejuvenation from El Niño & Chinese invasion. Sharks are already almost gone, now the stingless jellyfish is the new target by the Chinese), Derawan, Sangalaki, Nunukan & Nabucco.

Thanks for the info. I've edited the file.

Hi all - if anyone is interested, can I get access and access to the spreadsheet. Given the natural variability of sea surface conditions, a new "normal" of weather patterns in a changing climate, and the natural tidal/lunar cycles, I think that the uncertainties are fairly large with green light - red light. I am with Wingy here. For example, diving during off season in Bali without many other people is preferable to high season diving. In RA, the visibility really changes from Misool to northern RA. Sometime, with changes of currents, northern RA has very poor visibility even in high season. best, charlie

Hi all - if anyone is interested, can I get access and access to the spreadsheet. Given the natural variability of sea surface conditions, a new "normal" of weather patterns in a changing climate, and the natural tidal/lunar cycles, I think that the uncertainties are fairly large with green light - red light. I am with Wingy here. For example, diving during off season in Bali without many other people is preferable to high season diving. In RA, the visibility really changes from Misool to northern RA. Sometime, with changes of currents, northern RA has very poor visibility even in high season. best, charlie

Agreed. There is a "white" option. I divided Raja Ampat into north and south.

I think we should represent just the expected / usual water conditions and let people use that information to make their own choices of season. I put a note to that effect, maybe we need more.

- Bill

I think we should represent just the expected / usual water conditions and let people use that information to make their own choices of season. I put a note to that effect, maybe we need more.

- Bill
what about splitting RA into Misool, central RA, and northern RA, or are we splitting too much. Are we sure this is a good thing - the more divers that are disappointed in eastern Indonesia diving might not be a bad thing.

- Bill
What about splitting RA into Misool, central RA, and northern RA, or are we splitting too much. Remember you are dealing with a scientist that some of his former students would describe as "picky". Are we sure the spreadsheet is a good thing - the more divers that are disappointed in eastern Indonesia diving might not be a bad thing.

Hi all - if anyone is interested, can I get access and access to the spreadsheet.

I have sent you a PM for your email, which I will need to give you editing access to the document.

Are we sure the spreadsheet is a good thing - the more divers that are disappointed in eastern Indonesia diving might not be a bad thing.

Let's keep the good things for us :p I'm usually following more of an "open source" philosophy, but agreed that sometimes, it's tempting not to...
FYI, the document is only accessible with the link, and the link is only here on SB. It is true though that SB is a public forum... Anyways, if people prefer, I can restrict access to this document.

I also see that a note has been added regarding crowds. I'm not quite sure about diving places since I haven't experienced it yet, but usually, touristic places in the area tend to be quite crowded during Chinese golden weeks. There is one for Chinese New Year (it depends on lunar calendar, so anytime during the second half of January - first half of February) and one for the National Day (1st of October). How does that compare to summer in the northern hemisphere? Should we add that too?

I also see that a note has been added regarding crowds. I'm not quite sure about diving places since I haven't experienced it yet, but usually, touristic places in the area tend to be quite crowded during Chinese golden weeks. There is one for Chinese New Year (it depends on lunar calendar, so anytime during the second half of January - first half of February) and one for the National Day (1st of October). How does that compare to summer in the northern hemisphere? Should we add that too?

Yes.

ha ha spreadsheet is lookin' good! Thanks Luko! Thanks Charlie and Dan!

I am looking to dive in July, so currently it says that the best risk (green) is in Amed, East Kalimantan, Sulawesi north, Malaysia east coast, Borneo Liayang 2KK (not sure what that is?), and Gulf of Thailand.

Secondary choices (white) would be Lombok strait, Komodo North, Alor, Sipadan, and Cebu.

Is it working?

- Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom