WHEN to dive WHERE in SEA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2K probably means Kota Kinabalu. Diving is very ordinary around there but The Orangutan sanctuary is interesting and the Mount Kinabalu is great for two days of easy hiking.
The best time for Lyang Lyang is Mar to May which is the hammerhead season. But I was not impressed as a whole. Malaysian Gov put a Naval base there many yrs ago so no one can make a claim of it. Philippines should had done that long time ago on Scarborough Shoal!

Layang Layang - Kota Kinabalu I'm guessing. The resort is only open those months, the rest of the year it's closed.

I don't have write access to edit it either, but...

South Sulawesi: pretty much the same as North Sulawesi in terms of colours on the months.

Also, best time for Anilao (Philippines) is Jan-Mar according to everyone I spoke to over New Years.

IMG_5065.PNG

That's me who added Layang2, which is Layang Layang that was famous for deep hammerheads schools in Apr-May, and extreme visibility, it's on NW KK side of Sabah/Borneo. I could have added Labuan, Miri and Brunei as well....

I think south Sulawesi is not the same as Northern. Selayar for instance says their best time is around Xmas, I don't know for Wakatobi.

Once again, everyone will see their own in this sheet. Personally I would have separated Bangka from BUnaken for isntance and put July-August as white for its frequent winds, while interseason is perfect and green.

Same goes for Alor which IMO should be white similar as North Komodo in July because of winds that may prevent diving on some sites. Interseason is again better than July August.

I don't understand Bali Lombok straits vs. Amed. Can someone explain to me where should then Tulamben be located?

Anilao, I would say on my side optimal is March to May, December to Feb bring winds that can get trips to Sombrero quite difficult especially on the return ride.

That's me who added Layang2, which is Layang Layang that was famous for deep hammerheads schools in Apr-May, and extreme visibility, it's on NW KK side of Sabah/Borneo. I could have added Labuan, Miri and Brunei as well....

I think south Sulawesi is not the same as Northern. Selayar for instance says their best time is around Xmas, I don't know for Wakatobi.

Once again, everyone will see their own in this sheet. Personally I would have separated Bangka from BUnaken for isntance and put July-August as white for its frequent winds, while interseason is perfect and green.

Same goes for Alor which IMO should be white similar as North Komodo in July because of winds that may prevent diving on some sites. Interseason is again better than July August.

I don't understand Bali Lombok straits vs. Amed. Can someone explain to me where should then Tulamben be located?

Anilao, I would say on my side optimal is March to May, December to Feb bring winds that can get trips to Sombrero quite difficult especially on the return ride.

Do it, Luko! Whatever changes you think are good, I say make them.

It was I that separated Amed from Lombok strait. Perhaps it is misguided, somehow I thought that Amed (by which I meant the entire Amed area, including Jemeluk and Tulamben) is pretty much always placid and dry since it is protected by mighty Agung (though there could be storms in the rainy season), whereas going out from PDB to Nusa Penida can have different conditions. But if you think that is stupid, take it out.

- Bill

Mar-May is definitely the best period underwater for Anilao (from numerous Anilao veterans including guides). I have always been told the area is sheltered so monsoons/waves aren't as big a concern as in other parts of the Phils (and yes, I was there for Typhoon Nina).

Should Tubbataha be added?

Edit: The South Lombok pinnacle/hammerhead site could also be added (seasonal IIRC).

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar-May is definitely the best period underwater for Anilao (from numerous Anilao veterans including guides). I have always been told the area is sheltered so monsoons/waves aren't as big a concern as in other parts of the Phils (and yes, I was there for Typhoon Nina).

Should Tubbataha be added?

Edit: The South Lombok pinnacle/hammerhead site could also be added (seasonal IIRC).

I added Tubbataha to Palawan.

Anilao is green for march and white for April - May, indicating that someone (?) has reservations about it for April - May.

I'm not sure what the "South Lombok pinnacle / hammerhead site" is but my personal opinion is that we should not list every dive site as it will just get too unwieldy. I think we just want to list dives AREAS to aid potential visitors' own research. What do others think?

- Bill

I added Tubbataha to Palawan.

Anilao is green for march and white for April - May, indicating that someone (?) has reservations about it for April - May.

I'm not sure what the "South Lombok pinnacle / hammerhead site" is but my personal opinion is that we should not list every dive site as it will just get too unwieldy. I think we just want to list dives AREAS to aid potential visitors' own research. What do others think?

- Bill

Thanks for adding Tubbataha. I think it was worth it since as a protected marine park, it has special opening dates that might give it different dive period as the rest of the area.

In general, I would be favorable to splitting zones/dive sites if there are some differences in "divability". But I'm not familiar enough with the area to say which parts are really different or not, or if it's going to be feasible/practical or not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom