WHEN to dive WHERE in SEA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just deleted the lines for Japan, Taiwan, and Korea, because they are not SEA (maybe Taiwan is?) and it was all white space.

That leaves Indo, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, VietNam, and Thailand. If we wanted to cover the entire Coral Triangle (I am in favor) then we should include PNG, E. Timor, and the Solomons. I bet the expertise is here on this board, but it's not up to me to volunteer anyone else's time. (I would be a user of the info though :thumb: )

- Bill

I don't understand exactly what is meant by the terms

Cebu east Visayas
Cebu tanon strait Negros oriental

Does "east Visayas" essentially mean Bohol & Panglao?

Does "Tanon strait Negros oriental" mean diving from the island of Negros including Dumaguete / Dauin?

Thanks,

Bill

East Timor, yes.

PNG and the Solomons, no. The natives would rip your head off for suggesting that they were part of Asia...lol

The demarcation of New Guinea must have something to do politically rather than geographically! The Bird's Headand half of the body are in Asia while the rest are in somewhere else!
I am glad to see East Timor became an independent country and so should Irian Jaya!

ASEAN might be better than SEA.

Last edited:
I don't understand exactly what is meant by the terms

Cebu east Visayas
Cebu tanon strait Negros oriental

Does "east Visayas" essentially mean Bohol & Panglao?

Does "Tanon strait Negros oriental" mean diving from the island of Negros including Dumaguete / Dauin?

Thanks,

Bill
Ok that's my fault too.
I believe there are différent conditions in the Visayas spots sheltered by the Strait between Cebu and Negros otherwise called Tanon strait where it's diveable 365/365 while east of Cebu incl. Bohol Malapascua South Leyte is more likely to get hit with typhoons in season

The supposed to be typhoon free area is down south in Mindanao eg. Davao.
But in 04th Dec 2012, the resident of City of Davao had a good awakening from Typhoon Pablo.
Diving in Davao and its neighbour General Santos are quite good.

Generally the Southern Mindanao is least affected by typhoon.

The demarcation of New Guinea must have something to do politically rather than geographically! The Bird's Head and half of the body are in Asia while the rest are in somewhere else!

Amen brother Centrals! :) Same issue with East Timor - the Indonesia half is included on the spreadsheet but the E. Timor side is excluded??

The ASEAN label works in theory (both PNG and E. Timor have observer status) but my personal belief is that following topside lines drawn by non-diving politicians is a bit arbitrary. Of course you need some sort of criteria for where to stop, and it is very useful to have a list that includes places one wants to go, or places that are easy to fly to from one's home base - which were actually the very practical starting points of Bill's and Melanie's original lists. Similarly even though Japan fits none of the proposed cut offs I wish it could have stayed, just bc I would love an informed, accessible reference for diving conditions in different areas there. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's "Coral Triangle" then Thailand and Vietnam should be deleted and the Solomons added. Why not just delete the damn title and include whatever you want. :)

Back
Top Bottom