What's the best SCUBA car?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wontbslow

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new vehicle, and naturally it will have to accommodate my diving hobby. Any suggestions?

What do you drive, and how well does it work for dive trips? Do you prefer a truck, SUV, wagon, etc?

Thanks!

2005 GMC Savanna with left and right swinging side doors, sweeet.

Made a full coverage floormat with rubber roofing material, it flops out and covers the back bumper. Cylinder pairs load from the side doors for a nice enter of gravity.

Pete

Didn't we just do this one?

Thalassamania:
Didn't we just do this one?

Yea but that one was too far along for me to bother posting into when I found it. :)

My GMC Seirra with extended cab is nice. Wish I could have afforded he Quad Cab.

I have a Ford F250 and Mercedes ML320. The ML320, a SUV, is much better than the big truck. The truck is great but it's only a fair weather dive vehicle and I won't put a cap on it. I can get all my wife's and my gear, with the exception of the compressor, into the ML320 with room to spare. I went with the ML320 over other SUVs because the weight and tow ratings are the highest in it's class and it gets better than 20mpg. Although I did have to keep the truck to pull the dive boat, a 282 Grady. With that rig, I can fit four peoples gear and the compressor.

I'd go with a mid size SUV so you can keep all your stuff inside and still get pretty decent mileage.

cobaltblue:
I'd go with a mid size SUV so you can keep all your stuff inside and still get pretty decent mileage.

Yeah, I agree. Originally I was thinking of going for BIG and ROOMY, but the nearest "decent" dive site is 3 hours away, and unfortunately MPG is a factor. So mid-size SUV's are very appealing.

The new Nissan Xterra is probably the front runner as of now. I just need to fit two peoples gear for a trip. And I'm sure I could still tow one of those SWEET trailers posted earlier. :D

spectrum:
2005 GMC Savanna with left and right swinging side doors, sweeet.

Made a full coverage floormat with rubber roofing material, it flops out and covers the back bumper. Cylinder pairs load from the side doors for a nice enter of gravity.

Pete

Nice. Have any pics?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom