What's the best SCUBA car?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought my jeep cherokee (90 mini) to have a four door family car(don't have a family). straight six get 15-18 mpg, has 2 wheel and 4 wheel drive to really get me stuck, four door fold down seat( slept in it once), rear hatch to cover me in the rain, and its low enough to get my dive kayak on top.

what else do you need?
got a boat?
gonna camp?
have lots of friends?
tired of thieves?

have fun kicking tires

juliejeff:
what else do you need?
got a boat?
gonna camp?
have lots of friends?
tired of thieves?

have fun kicking tires

Those cherokees are great little rigs. I almost bought on a couple years back.

But....don't have a boat, will definitely camp, won't be hauling lots of people, and haven't run into thieves (yet). And yes, test driving is always fun. :wink:

The Honda Ridgeline... it's what I drive!

Enough room for 5 in the front.

Or two and my 42" plasma.

The bed easily holds 13 full size tanks and gear for 7 (I can always stuff in another tank) and the cover keeps everyone else OUT. The tail gate swings to the side to aid in getting tanks in and out and also in normal fashion so I can use it as a platform to gear up.

There there is the TRUNK. Whoa, it carries my oxygen, first aid, and ALLLLLLL of my extras.

Did I mention the digital map? Gets me there AND back with no worries, even on dark and stormy nights looking for that turn.

wontbslow:
Yeah, I agree. Originally I was thinking of going for BIG and ROOMY, but the nearest "decent" dive site is 3 hours away, and unfortunately MPG is a factor. So mid-size SUV's are very appealing.

The new Nissan Xterra is probably the front runner as of now. I just need to fit two peoples gear for a trip. And I'm sure I could still tow one of those SWEET trailers posted earlier. :D

No,,, You can't catch two rabbits, MPG and Power.

The mid-sized SUV isn't enough to haul more than 5X8 foot sized trailer... You need to get the I'm stupid cooler and trailer brake. And, it eats a lot of gas.

So, you have to choose one, either gas or power....

As for the gas wise, Honda Element is also pretty good option. I am driving Honda CRV for the dive trip, but it eats more gas than the Honda's advertisement... For the budget buyer, Toyota XB is also great option, 30/34 MPG rate...... I am not a big fan of America car because of the durability, MPG and reslae value.

www.freedomfilm.com:
In quality, reviews, and cost, plus storage area and price...

07 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD... Great Vehicle. Comparable to our BMW X3 we just sold for roughly half the price.

That is also good one with 10 year warranty....

Just noticed a post about the Honda Ridgeline too.. Supposed to be an amazing truck, and the rear storage under the bed looks handy too!

But our new hyundai was the result of extensive research, and they are hanked above Toyota and Honda in quality for 06 by JD Power.

I can help out canadian buyers with tips. Dont lease in IL, you pay taxes twice! *(^)*&^^%$^&% haha.

hoosier:
As for the gas wise, Honda Element is also pretty good option. I am driving Honda CRV for the dive trip, but it eats more gas than the Honda's advertisement... For the budget buyer, Toyota XB is also great option, 30/34 MPG rate...... I am not a big fan of America car because of the durability, MPG and reslae value.

A lot of people love the Element for SCUBA trips, but it's actually kind of a gas hog. Not really sure why, since it has such a small engine, but it is roomy. The XB is a neat car (look like a toaster) and has lots of room, but I wouldn't be able to take it on the beach. I'm looking for something with 4WD.

NetDoc:
The Honda Ridgeline... it's what I drive!

My parents have this truck. They LOVE it. And it actually rides like a car. I like how the tailgate opens up to the side, AND folds down. Pretty cool.

Back
Top Bottom