What's the best SCUBA car?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wontbslow:
Yeah, I agree. Originally I was thinking of going for BIG and ROOMY, but the nearest "decent" dive site is 3 hours away, and unfortunately MPG is a factor. So mid-size SUV's are very appealing.

The new Nissan Xterra is probably the front runner as of now. I just need to fit two peoples gear for a trip. And I'm sure I could still tow one of those SWEET trailers posted earlier. :D

I've got an old Chevy Silverado-- plenty of room, horrible on gas. Instead of a mid-size SUV have you considered going even a notch smaller to one of those mini-SUV cars like a Pontiac Vibe or Toyota Matrix?

Since my truck is such a gas hog I've been using a Vibe alot for diving, a 2003 GT model with manual transmission. It can easily take two people with two complete sets of gear. I have also transported as many as 15 scuba tanks in it. And it gets 30-35mpg. You'll be hard-pressed to beat that combination.

I've had a Chevy HHR with the big engine (172 horse) for a year now and I LOVE it. Took 2 people with gear to Florida from Ohio and averaged almost 30mpg including the mountain crossing and I'm no grandma driver :wink: (Little old lady from Pasadena maybe).
There's a picture of it in my gallery.
Ber :lilbunny:

I'm partial to my 2003 Nissan Quest mini van. I do occasionally use it for other things besides diving -- like carrying passengers. Like all newer vans, it has a sliding mid-body door on both sides for ease of hauling gear out of it from either side.

Don't laugh. Its paid for.

With 282,000 miles on my '93 F150 (original engine), I've started looking at getting another vehicle. Not surprisingly, given the service that this truck has given me, I'm leaning towards another Ford but something a tad smaller and with four doors this time. I'm seriously looking at the Explorer Sport-Trac. Easily would carry three big divers and gear for long distances and four and gear for shorter trips.

Roak

Ps. But if you're talking scooters and doubles and stages, etc., nothing beats a van or a trailer...

wontbslow:
A lot of people love the Element for SCUBA trips, but it's actually kind of a gas hog. Not really sure why, since it has such a small engine, but it is roomy.
:confused:

My 2004 Honda Element gets a consistent 25 MPG ... and that's doing a lot of driving in Seattle area traffic ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

My Audi works fine for me!

AUDI S6 AVANT
LB_Audi_S6_95443g.jpg

A V10 435hp station wagon

Room to haul gear, power to haul @$$!

What else do you need?

I have the 3500 Silvarado Duramax 4x4 Crewcab Dually.

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom