What else to do before/after Socorro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LeggoDiveyDivey

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello everyone, Im wondering what else is there to do after or before a Socorro trip during the New Years festive period, would there be a scarcity of open restaurants then? Im generally not a party person, so I prefer diving, hikes, nature, culture and architecture.

My initial thoughts are:
  1. Warm up dives near SJD
  2. Dive with Sealions in La Paz
  3. Cabo Pulmo for bull sharks (but this seems unnecessary after Socorro)
  4. Visit neighbouring towns like Cabo San Lucas / Cabo Pulmo.
  5. Day hikes
For all the activities I guess the best mode of transport is to rent a car, since arranging transfers might be difficult.

If you’ve never dove with sea lions I recommend it, they are a lot of fun. We did a warm up dive at Pelican Point before heading out to Gordo Banks. Pelican Point was good, Gordo Banks was a total bust as all we saw were jellyfish.

Reactions: Dan
If you’ve never dove with sea lions I recommend it, they are a lot of fun. We did a warm up dive at Pelican Point before heading out to Gordo Banks. Pelican Point was good, Gordo Banks was a total bust as all we saw were jellyfish.

Thanks for this idea! And it would be near SJD too.
La Paz is 2hours away which makes it out of range for an uber.

Regarding "3) Cabo Pulmo for bull sharks." There are no bull sharks in Socorro....unless it got lost. Cabo Pulmo also has a big school of jacks - arguably the largest of all. So it might be worth your while.

My only hesitation about Cabo Pulmo or La Paz in January is that it gets windier and colder around that time. But since you will already be there for the Socorro liveaboard, might as well.

Also, I would doublecheck on Uber to La Paz. Altho the least expensive option is to take the bus that runs between the airport and the bus terminal in La Paz.

As for 4) visiting Cabo San Lucas / Cabo Pulmo......in Cabo San Lucas, as I see it, there is diving, fishing, going to the beach, sightseeing around Land's End and the Arch, shopping, drinking, and eating. Cabo Pulmo.....just diving.

Reactions: Dan

Hahaha, we were so unlucky with Gordo Banks, weren’t we?

Regarding "3) Cabo Pulmo for bull sharks." There are no bull sharks in Socorro....unless it got lost. Cabo Pulmo also has a big school of jacks - arguably the largest of all. So it might be worth your while.

True! I’ve been to Socorro 3 times and saw no Bill Sharks there.

Diving with Cabo Pulmo Bull Sharks certainly is a great experience!

I got lucky doing a check out dive in Lands End before going to Socorro.

Lucky you! I'll be there in Dec and apparently thats the in-season for seals and hopefully sharks
I guess the next question would be, is La Paz or Cabo Pulmo still worth a visit?

My only hesitation about Cabo Pulmo or La Paz in January is that it gets windier and colder around that time. But since you will already be there for the Socorro liveaboard, might as well.

Also, I would doublecheck on Uber to La Paz. Altho the least expensive option is to take the bus that runs between the airport and the bus terminal in La Paz.

As for 4) visiting Cabo San Lucas / Cabo Pulmo......in Cabo San Lucas, as I see it, there is diving, fishing, going to the beach, sightseeing around Land's End and the Arch, shopping, drinking, and eating. Cabo Pulmo.....just diving.

Sorry but how big of a factor would the wind and cold be? Coming from London I'll be heading from about 5C , so anywhere above 20C is heaven on earth. Im still very much a warm water diver though, so ill be happy as long as water temps are above 25/26C.

With regards to transport, is driving the best option? The alternative would be arranging transfers or ubering between the towns.

I agree with 4, theres more options there, though it would likely also be more crowded.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom