Question What’s going on with Deep 6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Doctor Rig

Doctor Rig

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Several years ago, Deep 6, had a strong presence and brand support on SB. I’ve got one of their regs and other products, which I’m still very happy with. In 2020, Deep 6 withdrew active participation within SB and since then I’ve seen far fewer communications and product promotions from Deep 6.

Does anyone know what is going on with Deep 6? Just wondering.

Solution
Hey folks, Chris here.

To clear up a couple things.

I am still a shareholder at Deep 6, that isn't changing. In another few weeks my family and I are headed off to travel and do some adventures. My daughter is 15 and we have decided it's time. We will be diving, doing some school (kid and me, I have a couple classes and a MBA thesis to write), and generally doing a sabbatical.

So, I won't be involved in the day to day stuff. I will still do shareholder meetings, input in strategic direction, and the most fun for me, product development. But, yeah, I will not be a Deep 6 shareholder AND employee, just shareholder.

Regarding why we have been posting less in SB, which is something that has always been important to me. About 3 years...
Anyone know how many employees at D6?
Direct or indirect? They are not a manufacturing entity so direct full-time employees is very misleading. Many of the manufacturers are set up like this so it's not really fair to compare someone like Oceanic, HOG, Hollis, Deep6, Dive Rite, etc. with manufacturers that are directly manufacturing their own goods.

It is great to hear that Deep 6 is still viable & working to meet the tough challenges of being a new business and the disruptions from the Covid pandemic. I‘m hoping 2022 will be a prosperous year for Deep 6 & the scuba industry.

IMHO, SB is great venue for divers for diver education and industry support. It‘s a little disheartening to hear/see disrespectful dialog on SB especially if it results in SB members and industry partners leaving SB.

Anyone know how many employees at D6?
Do want a breakdown of FTEs, 1099s, advisors? I only know the first number. I know one of the 1099s but no idea how many more. No idea on number of advisors

People need to remember that most companies outsource a lot not their manufacturing. There are not many factories churning out regulators for example. The dive market isn't exactly as large as say the smartphone market to use an extreme example.

They don't have a marketing department. They don't have regional reps like the large companies. However, by running lean and mean and serving the DIY, independent instructors and small dive centers (like I plan to open), they pass on the savings from low overhead to us. The founders, despite their departure from SB, are easily accessible through social media.

Seriously folks, when it comes to regs they provide high performance at a moderate cost. Take ringlers reg servicing class and you'll see that. No one can accuse him of being biased. He provides a service to help everyone with no regard to which regulator they use. When it comes to fins, does anyone have one that is as neutral and also stiff allowing for precise finning movements? They've one some impressive innovation for a company of any size.

The integrity I have seen from Chris and Landon combined with their customer support is what led me to jump on board with being a customer with as many of their products that I could and later becoming an affiliate due to my satisfaction with those products (fins, regs, 7 mil wetsuit, dive computer-looking forward to the upgrade).

Hey folks, Chris here.

I am still a shareholder at Deep 6, that isn't changing. In another few weeks my family and I are headed off to travel and do some adventures. My daughter is 15 and we have decided it's time. We will be diving, doing some school (kid and me, I have a couple classes and a MBA thesis to write), and generally doing a sabbatical.

So, I won't be involved in the day to day stuff. I will still do shareholder meetings, input in strategic direction, and the most fun for me, product development. But, yeah, I will not be a Deep 6 shareholder AND employee, just shareholder.

Regarding why we have been posting less in SB, which is something that has always been important to me. About 3 years ago, pre covid, the tone here changed in moderation and it became sport to attack some brands, D6 being a frequent target. In particular, we had mods participating, one by making definitive statements that were not true. Our efforts at answering those statements with facts were deleted and we lost our voice. Heck, I was an advisor for Scubaboard at the time and was fired for calling the mod that made those statements a liar.(with receipts) That was after being one for well over a dozen years. The board had lost a few advisors in that period, over a few issues and it was toxic. I was frustrated and hurt by it, Landon was frustrated and annoyed. So we stopped.

That all said, it had seemed to be getting better and I had been planning to post here more, but then my wife and I decided to do the family adventure and that has been kinda where my head has been.

Deep 6 is doing fine, our stock situation is better than it has ever been, we have new stuff coming and working on some neat things. The support of divers I am confident will continue to be our biggest priority.

I will be posting more pictures of Deep 6 gear in use that I should have been all along, however I will also be diving a LOT more now that I am not in the office. Plus we have some amazing destinations planned.

Yours in diving,

Chris

Solution
Hey folks, Chris here.

Regarding why we have been posting less in SB, which is something that has always been important to me. About 3 years ago, pre covid, the tone here changed in moderation and it became sport to attack some brands, D6 being a frequent target. In particular, we had mods participating, one by making definitive statements that were not true. Our efforts at answering those statements with facts were deleted and we lost our voice. Heck, I was an advisor for Scubaboard at the time and was fired for calling the mod that made those statements a liar.(with receipts) That was after being one for well over a dozen years. The board had lost a few advisors in that period, over a few issues and it was toxic. I was frustrated and hurt by it, Landon was frustrated and annoyed. So we stopped.

That all said, it had seemed to be getting better and I had been planning to post here more, but then my wife and I decided to do the family adventure and that has been kinda where my head has been.

Deep 6 is doing fine, our stock situation is better than it has ever been, we have new stuff coming and working on some neat things. The support of divers I am confident will continue to be our biggest priority.

I will be posting more pictures of Deep 6 gear in use that I should have been all along, however I will also be diving a LOT more now that I am not in the office. Plus we have some amazing destinations planned.

Yours in diving,

Chris
TY for the above.

Hey folks, Chris here.

Yours in diving,

Chris
All good, Chris. Enjoy that 15-year old; it won't last long enough.

Hey folks, Chris here.

Yours in diving,

Chris
Thanks Chris for your candid update. The status update on Deep 6 is encouraging & appreciated. Enjoy the completion of your MBA and your upcoming family adventures. I look forward to hearing more from you & Deep 6 in the future.

Several years ago, Deep 6, had a strong presence and brand support on SB. I’ve got one of their regs and other products, which I’m still very happy with. In 2020, Deep 6 withdrew active participation within SB and since then I’ve seen far fewer communications and product promotions from Deep 6.

Does anyone know what is going on with Deep 6? Just wondering.
im having problems with customer service, im looking at buying a SM reg setup from them but i dont wanna pull the trigger just to turn around and not have any customer service to support there products when i need them serviced. im saying this due to iv eamiled them few times about hoses, and if they offer mil discount and no response, i sent them a FB message and got a response of next week and yea we can send you a code and that was it never got the code nothing, makes me just wanna go HOG route least then i know i can send them to dris and get them serviced

im having problems with customer service, im looking at buying a SM reg setup from them but i dont wanna pull the trigger just to turn around and not have any customer service to support there products when i need them serviced. im saying this due to iv eamiled them few times about hoses, and if they offer mil discount and no response, i sent them a FB message and got a response of next week and yea we can send you a code and that was it never got the code nothing, makes me just wanna go HOG route least then i know i can send them to dris and get them serviced
@LandonL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom