Question What’s going on with Deep 6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Doctor Rig

Doctor Rig

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Several years ago, Deep 6, had a strong presence and brand support on SB. I’ve got one of their regs and other products, which I’m still very happy with. In 2020, Deep 6 withdrew active participation within SB and since then I’ve seen far fewer communications and product promotions from Deep 6.

Does anyone know what is going on with Deep 6? Just wondering.

Solution
Hey folks, Chris here.

To clear up a couple things.

I am still a shareholder at Deep 6, that isn't changing. In another few weeks my family and I are headed off to travel and do some adventures. My daughter is 15 and we have decided it's time. We will be diving, doing some school (kid and me, I have a couple classes and a MBA thesis to write), and generally doing a sabbatical.

So, I won't be involved in the day to day stuff. I will still do shareholder meetings, input in strategic direction, and the most fun for me, product development. But, yeah, I will not be a Deep 6 shareholder AND employee, just shareholder.

Regarding why we have been posting less in SB, which is something that has always been important to me. About 3 years...
Amended to clarify such that it could not be misinterpreted as inaccurately as you’ve consumed it. Long live SB management.

So now you call me names? How grand and proper of you.

Deep6 is doing just fine! As mentioned above there was a lot of animosity about their Excursion computer when it came out from a few individuals and turned a bit this board into a bit of a sour taste for the primary owners.
As far as new product announcements, we're in the middle of a pandemic and there hasn't been that much product being announced from much of anybody but I know on quite good authority there is a bunch of good stuff waiting for the right time.
Chris had the opportunity of a lifetime present itself a few months ago and he took it. It truly is a sabbatical and I would recommend anyone not read into it any more than that.

Like others have said, I think D6G's reduced presence on SB stemmed from our irrational and imbalanced exchanges with them.

I recently spoke with the president of a successful company (not in the dive industry) that really values their customers and the DIY community, freely sharing their hard-earned advice. He faced the same thing in a couple of forums and decided to mostly withdraw. I guess similar to an alcoholic who can't handle his drink, some of us can't handle our internet and we lose our minds taking up pitchforks against reputable vendors over the silliest matters. In other forums I belong to, this usually gets tamped down out of a broader interest in plain ol' civility.

However, my observation is that SB is a bit more peculiar with SOME moderators letting certain flavors of conflict or gross error pass in favor of the increased traffic (I think) it brings. Sometimes it almost seems negative quibbling is encouraged. In perplexing contrast, other threads that are comparatively innocuous get heavily redacted.

But doesn't this apply to most vendors that used to be present on SB; Scubapro, AL, Atomic, etc.? They all left and haven't been on here for years. I know for fact that Scubapro had people assigned to support users on SB and even had their names and Avatars to identify them as Scubapro staff to communicate with the users on SB to answer their questions and provide customer support but the hostility and attacks against Scubapro, Atomic, etc. was relentless and uncalled for so they ALL left SB. The management of SB fostered this hostility against these top brands to the point where the vendors couldn't take it any longer and left.
ScubaBoard predates faecebook by many years. During the decades SB's been around, the internets has evolved along with people's attitudes to social media -- it ain't AOL Tonto.

People like social media for many things. It's quite clear that some people like to grind their axes in public. Trolls have axes.

Any vendor will nowadays have a social media "manager" who's job it is to present the company's best face on social media. They quickly come to the conclusion that one doesn't feed the trolls.

If a company is selling "tat" (mediocre quality and aimed at exploiting newbies) they can expect a much rougher ride on the internet than a company selling quality goods that really work. Even they get occasional attacks (e.g. some people actually have a go at Shearwater!!!)

It is by no means a ScubaBoard-specific thing. Other bulletin boards (forums) also find this is the case that very few manufacturers and suppliers are active.

Just look how much less GUE's involved with debates these days. Same thing; stop their more strident supporters causing a ruckus that damages their reputation in the long run.

Same hostile and destructive attitude continues today against LDS' on SB. That's why no sane LDS or instructor would recommend SB to their students or customers.
Firstly, earning a living in a local dive shop (LDS) is a hard way of making a living; more like a vocation where you do it because you want to. Making a good living from an LDS is really hard work and very location specific. The internet has battered the LDS' monopoly on kit supply and their margins would be wafer thin.

Having said all that, many local dive shops bring it on themselves by treating their customers badly. Hardly surprisingly that gets shared on Social Media platforms such as ScubaBoard or faecesbook.

Good ones don't get a bad ride nor reputation.

... In perplexing contrast, other threads that are comparatively innocuous get heavily redacted.
I always assumed that was because different moderators get assigned different area's of Scubaboard to patrol? Just different people having different idea's about what is acceptable and what isn't.

I always assumed that was because different moderators get assigned different area's of Scubaboard to patrol? Just different people having different idea's about what is acceptable and what isn't.

Your apostrophe use is not acceptable! :D You’re using the possessive instead of the plural. Oh, the humanity!

With some exceptions, that is not true. If a thread gets troublesome, one moderator or another will step in and do something. Usually, once that happens, the others stay out so that the moderation in the thread is consistent. That is by no means universal. Back in my moderating days, I had more than one occasion when I was moderating a thread with my usual light touch only to have a more heavy-handed moderator step in and hack out a hole bunch of posts that I thought were well within bounds.

Moderators are different people with different attitudes and beliefs. They argue things out in their special area, but frequently no consensus is reached. I strongly disagreed with the beliefs of some of my fellow moderators, and some of them disagreed with mine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom