What're your five favorite movies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm... five movies....

1. Solaris
2. Better off Dead
3. Ferris Buehler's Day Off
4. Sixth Sense
5. Sahara

Oh no. 2 more

1) Sixth Sense
and on the same lines
2) Ghost. I just love Whoopie Goldberg in this. She is classic. Again, I never get tired of watching this film. But I've often wondered why...in the scene with Demi Moore and Patrick Swayze, when they are doing the pottery thing...how come they are all messy and then, all of a sudden, they are clean? Did they break the mood to wash up? :rofl3:

In no particular order:

1. Lillies of the Field -- Sidney Portier's character is absolutely fabulous. A very spiritual movie about faith that is funny, uplifting and absolutely entertaining.

2. Pretty Woman -- If an indication of being a favorite is how many times you've watched it AND how many of the movie's lines you use in everyday speach, this has got to qualify.

3. Patton -- I was amazed to learn, many years after seeing the movie for the first time, that a large part of Patton's dialogue was actually said by Patton. A very well crafted story of a flawed but brilliant man.

4. My Fair Lady -- Perhaps the best translation of a Broadway musical to the screen -- and Rex Harrison said it when, upon receiving the Oscar, he thanked "Both my Fair Ladies."

5. [Way too many to choose from] Bull Durham -- THE BEST baseball movie made to date.

Honorable mentions to movies such as:

Star Wars (first one -- any movie that makes you sit through 5 more can't be bad)

The Seventh Dawn (saw it once in the '60's and still believe it is the most beautifully filmed movie I've ever seen)

Hmm, can't figure how ya'll like "Pretty Woman" I found that a big yawn.
I would figure you two too intellectual for that one. :D

I forgot "Titanic"

I've watched that a few.

in no particular order -
1. Apocalypse Now / The Thin Red Line - 2 best movies about war. Both are very multi-dimentional in terms of meaning - everytime i re-watch them i find new things. I know, people will say "Platoon" and "Full Metal Jacket" and "4th of July" etc, but they are more one dimentional.
2. Once Upon a Time in America - best film about friendship/betrayal.
3. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly - no comments, simply classics
4. Requiem for a Dream - the best anti-drug movie with superb actors. I can't believe Julia Roberts got an oscar instead of E.Berstein. well, i don't believe in Oscars anyway
5. Tarkovsky films (Stalket, Solaris) - very phylosophical films
6. All Charlie Chaplin movies - more i watch them more i re-affirm that he is the Genius.

sorry for mentioning 6 instead of 5

I liked Titanic, too, but don't tell anyone. I absolutely love the soundtrack. Reminds me so much of the ocean.

1. History of the World Part I
2. The Usual Suspects
3. Casablanca
4. Major League
5. Full Metal Jacket

Its cold and there's nothing to do, so here are a few::popcorn:

Lord of the Rings trilogy (uncut versions)
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance kid.
An Officer and a Gentleman
Chariots of Fire
A Beautiful Mind
Against All Odds (Rachel Ward, OMG!)
The Outlaw Josie Wales
Dead Poets Society

Movies which have shaped modern lexicon and humor: :rofl3:

Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Up In Smoke
Stripes
Blues Brothers