What're your five favorite movies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DavidPT40

Contributor
Reaction score
Name your five favorite movies. If you want, add a short explanation to why they are your favorites.

(1)JAWS- Terrified me as a kid and sparked my passion in fish and the ocean. Always loved the 'Man vs Nature' theme that JAWS hit upon. Sometimes the scariest monsters are the ones that really exist

(2)Gattaca- This movie came out when I was in high school. It has a haunting soundtrack. This is such an inspirational movie. Its the story of a man who doesn't have the genetics to become an astronaut, but does so through sheer willpower.

(3) The Ghost and the Darkness- The story of the man-eating lions of Tsavo. This is another one of those movies that hits upon the 'Man vs Nature' theme that I so love. Not to mention that its based on a true story.

(4)Platoon- An anti-war movie that is loosely based on Oliver Stones own experience as a volunteer infantryman in Vietnam. I've always been fascinated by the Vietnam War, and this movie gave me a glimpse of what it was like. Excellent soundtrack also.

(5)Freddy Got Fingered- When Tom Green was swinging that baby around by its umbilical chord, I didn't know what to think. Then I started laughing hysterically. I have a sick sense of humor, what can I say?

(1) Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (2) Animal House (3) Pirates of the Caribbean ... the curse of the black pearl (4) In Harm's Way (5) Star Wars I ... the phantom menace

Only five? So hard to pick . . . There are many fantastic movies, but I've watched these again and again.

1) McCabe and Mrs. Miller -- A beautiful pipe dream of a movie, with a fabulous score by Leonard Cohen. Was he who he said he was, or did he pay a high price for profiting from a bluff?

2) Zorba the Greek. Timeless drama, incredible music.

3) White Christmas. The quintessential musical, and a wonderful sappy story.

4) Pretty Woman. Julia Roberts' best performance, and a great Cinderella story. One of the best all time lines: "I liked 'fine' better . . . "

5) Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. I love Robert Redford. I just do.

For a movie to be my "favorite" I have to be able to watch them over and over and over again and never ever get sick of them. And I mean they have to withstand at least 50 viewings.

1) Gone with the Wind
2) The Wizard of Oz
3) The Full Monty
4) Little Miss Sunshine
5) Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

And some others: The original first 3 Star Wars movies. You know the ones. With Princess Leia, Hans Solo and Luke Skywalker. Not the 3 crappy ones that my kid likes.
Pirates of the Caribbean (the first one. Never get tired of looking at Johnny Depp) I'm sure there's more...

Pirates of the Caribbean was a delightful movie, indeed. Watching Johnny Depp romp through that movie, I only wondered if I had nearly as much fun watching it as he had making it. But he's wonderful in most everything -- Benny and June was another great movie, and so was Edward Scissorhands.

I love obsessive movie making; where you can see the director has obsessed over every frame. Great plot, great acting. Beauty is a must. So, in no particular order...

In the Mood for Love (aka Fa yeung nin wa in Mandarin).

Das Boot.

Dr. Strangelove.

Der Himmel über Berlin (aka Wings of Desire) - and yes, I HATED the Hollywood remake, City of Angels.

Delicatessen.

+ anything by Wes Anderson... Oh, and Terry Gilliam's Brazil almost made the list.

...not necessarily in this order (and I reserve the right to edit, as my lousy memory tunes in)...

1- The Prestige (always appreciate an ending I didn't see coming)
2- Armageddon (the quintessential 'comic relief/feel good' movie)
3- 12 Angry Men (if an entire movie can take place in a single room, and keep me rivited...)
4- 300 (great slant on an old theme...)
5- My Cousin Vinny (what can I say? I'm eclectic...)
6- Anything with Anthony Hopkins (so I have six... sue me...)

1. The Wizard of Oz (I still get goosebumps when I see the flying monkeys.)
2. Crash (Wow...THIS is a must-see movie!)
3. The Bridges of Madison County (a timeless decision)
4. Victor/Victoria (Julie Andrews was marvelous!)
5. The Truth About Cats and Dogs (Fun movie...Janeane Garafalo is a favorite of mine!)

Not in any particular order:

It's a Wonderful Life (Jimmy Stewart)
Captains Courageous (the Spencer Tracy, Mickey Rooney, Lionel Barrymore version)
The Ghost and Mrs Muir (Rex Harrison and Gene Tierney)
Random Harvest (Ronald Coleman and Greer Garson)
The Wizard of Oz (Judy Garland)

And I'll add a 6th:

An Affair to Remember (Cary Grant)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom