What're your five favorite movies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In no particular order

The Searchers(1956)
Key Largo
To Kill A Mockingbird
Lawrence of Arabia
Men Of Honor

1) Formula 51 - Samuel L Jackson in Liverpool England wearing a kilt! Seriously funny!
2) Ronin - Great car chases!
3) The Abyss - The ultimate dive movie
4) Hunt for Red October - Watching it now
5) Tomb Raider - Angelina Jolie, need i say more?

cool hand luke
Jaws
braveheart
tears of the sun (great message for today's world climate, quote "the only way evil men can succeed is for good men to do nothing")
Hitch (I have to watch it w/my wife everytime it comes on tv)

The Pirates of the Caribbean 1, 2 & 3 (even though it's not out yet) - a real close friend is in almost every scene as a pirate.

The Searchers - big John Wayne fan and this was a good one

The Abyss

The Deep

It's A Mad Mad Mad World - the funniest movie I have ever watched

Like most people there are so many others but these would have to be at the top of my list.

Well, I rarely watch movies. And even if it's a movie that's a favorite, I don't usually watch it beyond more than once. Here are some from the top off my head, because my memory is simply awful. And, I can just barely remember the storylines.....so, take it as you will.

1. Ever After - This is the only "romantic" movie that I've ever liked. I don't watch romantic movies at all, but got dragged to this one by a friend who was obsessed by it. I remember really liking it because the character was at least plucky, independent, and literate. A pretty rare combo for a romantic movie, and even more so for a female character.....least that's what I think. Ok, it's somewhat a simplistic movie, shrugs.......

2. LOTR - Who doesn't like them??

3. Hero - Ok, it does have some violence, but it was a long time ago when I watched it, so I don't really remember it.....but, the story was interesting nonetheless.

4. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - Again, caveat with some violence, but I guess I liked it, the story that is......though it was a long time ago.

5. V for Vendetta - Again, some violent scenes...but, the story overall was awesome.

Just one more!!!!!

6. Dead Poets Society

Ok....last one!

7. Lara Croft: Tomb Raider - Do you realize how rare it is to see an woman in an action film that is not playing a side role, or a romantic role? Not that's my sole reason for liking it. It's also nice to see that a woman can be portrayed as capable and able to hold on her own. Plus the story was interesting....from what I remember.

Ok, I know this doesn't qualify as a movie, but the tv show Firefly is completely totally awesome! It's one of those rare shows that doesn't make everything an apple pie ending. It's gray as you can get. Sure, there are a couple of episodes here and there that I don't like but, this is simply one of the nicest show that anyone can watch. I seriously adored it. It's just a combination of everything, and it's just nice not having everything so black and white, and seeing that nothing is ever simple or easy.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that I don't like violent movies at all. It just bothers me the way I explained my list makes me sound like a violence-pro person. I'm not!!!!!!!! It's the storyline!!!!!!!!! Oy vey. All of those movies were watched a really long time ago and only once basically with the exception of Ever After and LOTR.

I hate that I can only put 5, so I'll do 5 best comedies and 5 best serious movies.

Serious first I guess;

1) Godfather 2 - It could have been any of the 3 but the story of Michael and Vito's rise in power contrast each other so well. If you haven't seen this climb out from under your rock and do a Godfather marathon.

2) Jurassic Park - Blew my mind as a little boy, it really did put CGI on the map permanently. Besides it has one of the coolest concepts Crichton ever came up with.

3) The Last Castle - Redford and Gandolfini act brilliantly in this; an absolute must watch.

4) A River Runs Through It - Beautiful scenery, beautiful story, great acting, it has it all.

5) Imaginary Heroes - No better depiction of 21st century disfunction as a tragedy forces a family into a downward spiral.

Comedies;

1) My Cousin Vinny - When Vinny first meets them in the prison cell; classic
2) Supertroopers - Side splitting good fun.
3) Life Aquatic - If you don't laugh at this one check your pulse
4) Tommy Boy - Chris Farley and David Spade are pure comedic genius together
5) PCU - Jeremy Piven cracks me up in this one.

I want to put in so many more movies but I think 10 was obnoxious enough :(

God I feel to beat myself for leaving out so many good ones. 5 is too restrictive.

I think I watch WAY too much TV.

Casablanca
Silent Running
Children of Paradise
Ran ([SIZE=-1]Kurosawa[/SIZE])
Young Frankenstein

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom