What you hate about other divers.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My pet peeve is the diver who can't be bothered to listen to the dive briefing. It is soooo much easier to set expectations and review procedures before the dive than to try to handle problems on the fly.

A particular example relates to comunicating the amount of air remaining in your tank. In our dive briefing, we detail the procedure we use; flash one finger for one hundred psi, and only use one hand. So 2000 psi is communicated by flashing all five fingers four times.

The diver who doesn't listen to the briefing often flashes two fingers for 2000 psi. Two fingers usually will get me to shove my octo in your face until I can check your air gauge.

How about the guy who talks way too much about all the dive adventures he's been on and can do everything better than everybody else. Plus what ever you've done he's done and done better:eek:ut: Or in other words the infamous dive jerk:wink:

I forgot to mention - my Euro buddy consumed gas like he was dead. I mean I'm a recovering gas-aholic... My first 30 dives were "lookit over here, no wait, lookit over here..." I still have the wonderlust at 50 dives, but I now have what I would consider a reasonable consumption rate and I'm not burning gas in the BC, rolling up shallower on the return, etc.

Anyway, this Euro could make his Alu80 last for days - I'm tellin gyou, this guy was a stiff. It was freakish. So the entire boat WAS always waiting on this guy. Every dive for like 3 days, he's the last one out...sitting and spinning under the boat like a stuck Tuna.

He was a kick in the pants... A horn player (Trombone) so this guys bags were huge.

1. Divers who don't clip off gauges, octos, etc.
2. Divers with really bright, clashing colors on their gear.
3. Divers who don't bring enough weight. Then I have to give them some.
4. Divers who lose their buddy in 80ft+ vis, then want to be my buddy.
5. Divers who talk like they are Jacques Cousteau yet have just been certified.
6. Divers who blow off safety stops.
7. Divers with gear that is in very poor condition.
8. Divers who don't take responsibility for themselves.
9. Divers who dismiss basic skills as "unnecessary".
10. Divers who don't stick to the dive plan.
11. Divers who have obviously never practiced their skills.
12. Divers with bad bouyancy.
13. Divers that take unnecessary risks.
14. Divers that take 45 minutes to gear up for a simple dive.
15. Divers who are not physically capable of diving, yet insist to anyway.

HOWEVER, two things that make me mutter unfavorable words are:

The late arrival who take their sweet time gearing up, and have no concern for other divers who have arrived early, are gear up, and are waiting to go. The tend to "hang around" and want to talk endlessly, only to be heard saying "wait for me" as the rest of the group is starting for the water. At the end of the dive they are also the last to pack up, often standing in their wet suits when everyone else is making plans on where to meet to consume some "deco fluid". In short, always late, and always complaining of being rushed.

The second is the "loud mouthed bad mouth". I'm sure we have all experienced the displeasure of listening to someone who's got an opinion on everything. They always have something bad to say about XYZ brand of gear or the LDS on the other side of town. Most often they can be seen strutting about, cooing loudly the virtues of what gear they have, and how good they are. They almost always have a small following of like minded supporters, who can be best described as accidents waiting to happen. With the "I'm best and can do no wrong" attitude, disaster is never far away. A large circle of friends is, however, very far away for this group of people.

This forum has been most enlightening. There are some that I would really like to buddy with, and others that I wouldn't give a second look at, much less a first. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a perfect diver (far from it), but in my relatively short time of experience (2 years plus), I've yet to run into many that even remotely approached perfection. We've all got our faults...let's try to be a little more understanding.

1. Being told I'm over weighted. I'm not. (Over weight-yeah ok...but don't call me over weighted) I know exaxtly what I need, thank you very much. Had to carry a big rock around on one dive because the instructor insisted I didn't need that much weight.
2. Being told I shouldn't wear my dive suit. I'll be too hot. Again, I know what I need. I'm always cold, so I bought a full wet suit 7 mil. I love it & am never cold now. This is why I need alot of weight. I'm like a fishing bobber in that thing :D
3. Pepole who don't respect your personal space on the dive boat. Had a guy whos *** was a magnet to my stuff. Where ever I stowed it...he'd have to sit there. I'd move to another spot & sure enough after the next dive...there he was. His crap spread out everywhere & me going through his obstacle course to get to my dive bag.:upset: Jeesh, go sit by your own stuff. Dove w/ him all week in Coz. He made me cranky.

divemistress once bubbled...
but what i hate most -- on the boat-- are the guys who insist on trying to rig my gear for me. simple courtesy? i don't think so. after all, they could help some struggling newbie guy.

i have nearly 300 dives behind me. i CAN put a BCD and a regulator on a tank. but i'm not arrogant: if i've made a careless or stupid mistake, i do appreciate hearing about it above water.

this insistence to control makes me feel these guys think that, i, as a woman, CAN'T handle such a difficult task. that i need a man to take care of it for me. ((which makes me think very, very bad words. :) ))

hell, why don't these guys do my breathing for me? or my diving? i could stay topside and work on my tan....

bottom line: before i stride into the water, i want to know my gear is assembled correctly. the best way to do that is to do it myself. and have my buddy check it. and leave the strangers out....

ahhhhh. thanks for letting me vent.

judy

p.s. does this message hit home with any guys here? if so, tell: why do you do this? as an attempted pick-up, it sucks....

What turns me off, are girls or guys who need help with their gear. if you are going to do a sport you need to be able to handle the gear required.

this doesn't mean that you can't ask for help, or that you are shouldn't help someone else. it just means you should be capable of doing it yourself.

I agree with you that the attitude men show to women diving or other sports is some type of mothering thing that they never would display anyother time. generaly the better looking the girl is the more nurturing she can expect.

Judy, just tell these guys what you think, and tell them to help out someone else if they feel the need.

explain to them the meanning of "Girl Power"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom