What you hate about other divers.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing that really bugs me is when "experienced" divers feel that they MUST tell me and my daughters what we "should" be doing. We are diving to gain experience; that's gained by doing, not hearing unsolicited "you should, you betters".

Related issue: my 12yo daughter is small in stature but has completed basic OW and is one dive away from AOW and Underwater Navigator, all of which she's accomplished by her diligence, persistence and interest. Some people literally and figuratively look down on her and make assinine comments that really cut to the core. She's a darn good diver for having 24 open water dives under her belt since June, and she's willing to learn more. It really ticks me off when people tell her/me that:" she's got too much weight", "she's too small to carry all that gear", "what'll happen if you get in trouble, how is she gonna save you." etc etc.

Done venting!:D

I was about to respond with something similar when I read Butch103's response about timeliness and gear. It includes situational awareness, too: not only tunnel visioning on your gear, but also your buddy's, and awareness of what's going on around you.

During pool sessions my instructor was more than a little edgy about people showing up on time (I eventually wound up resetting my watch to the wrong time so it would match his.) Once at the pool he made us keep our gear under the benches next to the pool, and gear up within a confined space directly in front of the bench. The students figured he was being a control freak until it came to our certification dives, our first from a boat, and voila! Everyone knew instinctively how to manage their equipment and gearing up on a dive boat, and keep their elbows out of their neighbor's gearing up process. We also learned that showing up in advance of the scheduled dive boat departure allowed for relaxing and chatting with the other divers, rather than scurrying around and rushing up at the last minute.

Okay, stupid newbie question. What's "Ride the zero."?

maxmanta once bubbled...
Underwater computer users who "ride the zero."

divemistress once bubbled...

p.s. does this message hit home with any guys here? if so, tell: why do you do this? as an attempted pick-up, it sucks....

Would the other pick up approach work better? Would you help me with my gear assembly?:wink:

I know I can't fully defend the behavior of my portion of the species, but here's a partial response to Divemistress and to a lesser extent Redseal, who were the subject/target of unwanted dive advice.

What you may be running into is some guy who's diving for the first time in weeks/months/years and is so excited by the prospect of it all that he's totally jazzed with anticipation and adrenaline. He *thinks* he's being helpful, and can't help himself because hey! I'm diving today! Too cool! And there's someone that needs help! This looks like a job for... DiverBoy!

Maybe the assumption is "she's a woman, and not strong enough" and I won't even comment on that one since it's just stupid. The lesson, tho, is "don't make assumptions."

diversaurus,

if you asked me to help while wearing just the right smile -- half "i'm trying to look innocent and bashful" and half "you and i both know i'm really trying to make time with you" -- i would probably be charmed.

the divemistress
:lovestrk:

Diversauras once bubbled...

Would the other pick up approach work better? Would you help me with my gear assembly?:wink:

Turn your hate into amusement and you'll have more fun.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

James... I believe the reference was to taking the computer's calculated remaining NDL down to zero and only ascending enough to get back a few minutes and staying at that depth until it reads zero and then ascending a little more... and so on... it is the same as taking the computer's bar graph to the end of the yellow caution zone and only ascending enough to keep it from going into the red. BTW: computers rot your brain... don't even start down the path of neural necrosis, cerebral putrefaction and ultimately intracranial ossification. :D

You stay away from my intracranial ossifier!!! :boom:

This one is similar to the not having a clue where you are in relation to others (fins in the face it a huge peave of mine), but i can't stand other divers hanging around my fins out of my visual range. I feel bad for a while and start to fin in such a way that its likely not to disturb things if it hits them, but then if they persist they get whatever comes there way. Few things annoy me more.

Oh one other thing does as well: if people have issues with something and don't fix it (i.e. a bad mask that keeps leaking or something and try to just get used to it or work through the issue over the course of too many dives). Get rid of the useless piece of equip and get something new. Don't ruin other's dives while you sit there and try to fix your mask or whatever for the millionth time.

steve

Back
Top Bottom