What would you do if attacked?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

practical shooting is something i believe in.
Knife training is good.
then again i'm 6'5 280 ... people do like to test themselves and pick numerous fights with me.
there are numerous pressure points and techniques i've learned that you can keep people motionless for periods of time.
Women are my favorite people to teach to defend themselves. Most of the gals i know listen and learn how to use their size to their advantage. But there's 3 main goals of self defense... fight to flee, fight to protect and fight to destroy.
Overall if it come down to it... mortal defense. if not let someone who can lock them up deal with it.

leah:
If someone puts a gun or knife in my side and says come with me, I am not going to do it.

if he's after my cash or car, then let him have it

if he wants to carjack either me or my wife, i am not cooperating. i'm accepting that i am getting shot and will strive to shoot him too. pull out my handgun, and start shooting at him.

i am aware i may die, but i am not passively letting anything happen to me or my wife while i can fight back

chickdiver:
Very good thoughts. I've had two "near misses". The first was driving west on I-10 on my way home from diving one night. It was about midnight, on a Sunday, and the interstate was deserted. I was driving the speed limit, and all of a sudden there were blue lights flashing behind me- I was in the middle of nowhere. Something just wasn't "right" about it, so I slowed down, put my hazards on, and drove to the next exit, where I knew there were a couple 24 hour gas stations and fast food places right off the interstate.......

Way to go! Situational awareness is a major component of self defense. Most people get that feeling of something "Just ain't right". Follow that gut, remove yourself from the situation before it becomes a confrontation if possible. If confrontation is unavoidable, mindset and attitude is something that has to be known beforehand. Be WILLING to HURT the assailant. Accept the fact you have no choice and that it was their choosing. Fighting back is usually not what attackers expect. Do as much damage as possible in the first seconds, and the shock may give the time needed to escape to safety. There are no guarantees, the few seconds some attacks occur in are so sudden and violent, luck is your only ally and that sucks. I carry a SIG P220 .45 auto, Colt Mustang .380 auto, Big Shark knife, and train constantly with them. Train with both hands, day and night, all positions. Never had to use any of them but have been there-done that on the above thoughts. Better to die on your feet than live on your knees!
:D

chickdiver:
Very good thoughts. I've had two "near misses". The first was driving west on I-10 on my way home from diving one night. It was about midnight, on a Sunday, and the interstate was deserted. I was driving the speed limit, and all of a sudden there were blue lights flashing behind me- I was in the middle of nowhere. Something just wasn't "right" about it, so I slowed down, put my hazards on, and drove to the next exit, where I knew there were a couple 24 hour gas stations and fast food places right off the interstate. It was about 15 miles to the exit. The car stayed behind me the whole time with flashers on... I started thinking "this cop is gonna be P****D." I also realized though that he (or she) would have a mother/sister/wife etc., and might be understanding if I just explained that as a woman traveling alone at night I was hesitant to pull over in the middle of nowhere. So, I turn off the exit and drive to a 24 hour gas station, guess what- the car does not follow me into the parking lot, the dash light turns off (it wasn't a light bar- which was one clue that something was "off") and keeps going. A few days later I read about a rash of rapes occuring on that section of I10, the guys MO was to impersonate a law enforcement over and pull you over in the middle of the night. Go figure.

That is absolutely terrifying. You are very lucky that you picked up on the subtle clues.

I think situational awareness is a big thing. Maybe the biggest thing to keep yourself safe.

The second thing is whatever it takes to get away.

I also have a criminal defense lawyer on speed dial on my cell. I don't have a criminal record and I want to keep it that way. If attacked and I have to defend myself, I won't speak to the police until I have my lawyer present. I don't want to say something after being attacked and upset that will land me in jail. If the police say we need your statement now--I will say I will fully cooperate and answer all questions as soon as my lawyer is here---but mam we need your statement now! I will fully cooperate as soon as my lawyer is here. Criminals have lawyers--people who are forced to defend themselves should have them too.

leah:
I think situational awareness is a big thing. Maybe the biggest thing to keep yourself safe.

The second thing is whatever it takes to get away.

I also have a criminal defense lawyer on speed dial on my cell. I don't have a criminal record and I want to keep it that way. If attacked and I have to defend myself, I won't speak to the police until I have my lawyer present. I don't want to say something after being attacked and upset that will land me in jail. If the police say we need your statement now--I will say I will fully cooperate and answer all questions as soon as my lawyer is here---but mam we need your statement now! I will fully cooperate as soon as my lawyer is here. Criminals have lawyers--people who are forced to defend themselves should have them too.

As usual, your threads and posts are excellent and informative. I agree with your analysis of attack response.

Situational analysis surely is the most important skill to deal with being attacked.:coffee:

I have seen this and experienced it first hand....

If you get shot there are two possibilities: you can physically function after the gunshot or you will be debilitated. For the ones that 'keep their head' enough and can physically function to protect themselves and their loved ones they have our lovely little friend adrenaline on their side. Good for us, bad for the bad guys, which is how we like it. The little spike that you get may save you from further trouble with an assailant.

The ones that can not respond due to wounds..... Well, they are for lack of a better term, a ragdoll.

Moral of the story is a wounded person when caring for someone they love is not so different than a bear with cubs. But then we have thumbs. :D

H2Andy:
if he's after my cash or car, then let him have it

if he wants to carjack either me or my wife, i am not cooperating. i'm accepting that i am getting shot and will strive to shoot him too. pull out my handgun, and start shooting at him.

i am aware i may die, but i am not passively letting anything happen to me or my wife while i can fight back

DavidPT40:
That is absolutely terrifying. You are very lucky that you picked up on the subtle clues.
The second close call was worse. This happened just 16 months ago. It was a week or two before Christmas, and I had just come home from having dinner with a friend. I hadn't parked my car in the garage, because earlier that afternoon my brother in law had been over installing a new dishwasher for me and there were some tools I needed to put away before I pulled the car in for the night. I went in through the garage, intending to put the tools away and then pull the car in, so I left the door up. Now, bear in mind that I lived in a very quiet neighborhood in a very nice area of town. My street was a cul-de-sac off a dead end, so there was no through traffic. I went to the bedroom to kick my shoes off and call my boyfriend (now my husband) who was in Alaska on business. As I was leaving him a voice mail, I heard someone outside yelling "hello... is anyone there" and thought they must be at one of the neighbors' houses. As I walked into my kitchen from the hallway to the bedrooms, the door into my garage opened (I was about 3 feet from it when this happened) and a woman walked in. No knocking, no ringing of the front doorbell, nothing, she just barged in. She was an older woman, and well dressed but a little disheveled looking. She had a small cut across the bridge of her nose, and she seemed a little confused. I thought at first she had been in an accident or something, so I asked if I could help her. She told me that she needed me to take her home. Well... now it's been about 30 seconds, and I am starting to notice some odd things, like she is walking around in socks, but no shoes (it was about 40 degrees outside) and she was carrying a little soft sided cooler- like a lunch cooler. She was insistent that I needed to take her home, but I offered to call someone for her. This went on for a couple of rounds, and finally I told her I had just gotten home from dinner with a friend and had had a few drinks, so I was unable to drive. She then asked me for a drink. I told her I didn't have any liqour in the house. She started to get insistent- and I started to get really scared. I had my pistol in the house, but it was in my bedroom, which essentially had only only one way out (the door into the hall) and a set of french doors that were deadbolted and required a key to open from the inside. From where I was standing, I had access to the front door (a straight shot of about 15 feet) the other set of french doors (which were unlocked) about 10 feet away, and the garage door that she was standing in front of. Rather than going for the pistol I chose to stay where I had the best option of getting out of the house- I felt sure she would follow me if I went for the bedroom. All the while she is rummaging around in her bag, and she had a ziploc baggie of what appeared to be marijuana in there. She definitely seemed drunk or high (or both). So after about 5 minutes I began to stop being nice and start being really firm. "I need you to drive me home" was replied to with "You need to get out of my house" This went on for a few and then she started ranting about how she knew I was going to call the police (d**n straight, lady). I finally got her to leave my house, but I was about ready to make a run for it when it happened. I got her out of the garage, closed the garage door, hit the alarm system and checked every lock in the house while I dialed 911. I spent the rest of the night walking around the house carrying the pistol. This scared the living s*** out of me. The police didn't find her that night, but a week or so later she was arrested less than a mile from my house. She had walked into an elderly lady's home and threatened her at gunpoint. The elderly lady had balls. She told her she would drive her wherever she wanted to go, opened the garage door, got in the car, locked the doors and floored it in reverse. She escaped unharmed.

That one scared me.

chickdiver:
In Florida you are required to take a firearms course prior to applying for the permit.

H&K makes nice weapons, but pricey, I like my Glock .45 (hubby has one too), and you can't go wrong with a 1911.

I'm not opposed to that...

Well, I bought one of the first .45's when they became available. They offered a rebate at the time, so I picked it up for $500. Everyone who has ever shot it has all said it was an awesome weapon and a very nice shooter.

C'mon....You're a cave diver and a dark side convert and you're complaining about pricey??!! :11:

I didn't choose a Glock because I wanted a secondary safety, not that there is anything wrong with a Glock! And you can NEVER go wrong with a 1911!

Spratman:
I'm not opposed to that...

Well, I bought one of the first .45's when they became available. They offered a rebate at the time, so I picked it up for $500. Everyone who has ever shot it has all said it was an awesome weapon and a very nice shooter.

C'mon....You're a cave diver and a dark side convert and you're complaining about pricey??!! :11:

I didn't choose a Glock because I wanted a secondary safety, not that there is anything wrong with a Glock! And you can NEVER go wrong with a 1911!

Not complaining, just commenting on fact. Pricey NEVER stopped me from getting what I want!

I fell into an unbelieveable deal on the Glock, and it works well, since my husband has a .45 Glock as well- so we have plenty of "redundancy" and "standardization" in the family :14:

Back
Top Bottom