What would you do if attacked?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chickdiver:
In Florida you are required to take a firearms course prior to applying for the permit.

H&K makes nice weapons, but pricey, I like my Glock .45 (hubby has one too), and you can't go wrong with a 1911.

All states that allow CC should make people take a class.

I love my USP 2K

Mountain Dog:
Well done. This is exactly my point. With the right knowledge and practiced skills anyone can overcome an attacker twice their own size...regardless of how that attacker has hold of you. Knowing how to bring someone to his knees just by applying fingertip pressure to specific points on his body is worth a gallon of pepper spray.

Mountain Dog

Exaclty. I had Karate, Judo and HS Wrestling to draw on from mental cue cards. Also, being the short guy in school, I was bullied around more than occaisionally. There are things that are learned from that sort of interaction, being hands on 100%, small action/reactions that are trained into the mind that are drawn on when you need it the rest of your life. I'm still perplexed at why people think I'd be fun to pick on..

chickdiver:
I'm sure lots of people will beat me up for this one, but....

I have a Concealed Carry Permit- and I carry- and I know (quite well) how to use it. I fully support Florida's "castle doctrine" and it's recent expansions.

I say this without a hint of sarcasm or malice:

Good for you!!!!

Well, first of all, I love my job! I really do. I work helping people who have made some really bad choices in life get back on their feet and get a job to support themselves. I have had more than one person come to me and thank me for giving them a chance and finding them work when no one else would even give them a second thought. I wish it always turned out that way, but it doesn't. It keeps me going to know that I am able to help some folks. And I make a nice living too.

I have to say that I really like most of the people I work with. My heart goes out to them. I know a lot of them have been in and out of prison, on drugs, the bottle, and who knows what else. But a lot of them are just people who aren't that smart or have never really had much opportunity or blown the opportunity that they had. I like helping the ones that really want help and are willing to work hard and help themselves.

I also have a carry permit and keep it on me at all times the law allows. My friends that know I carry have nick named it the lantern. In case it gets dark and someone needs to see, I can help them see the light.

Anyway, I guess my thinking is that if I have thought through some sort of response before an attack just like with an OOA or other emergency in the water, I will have a better chance of survival. One way or another, I don't want to be a vic without a plan. I always have my keys, pen or something in my hand any time any one approaches me or my hand in my pocket on the light switch.

Thanks for the invite to FL, but I think I am safer taking my chances in the hood over one the those big hurricanes you guys have down there!!:wink:

Whatever your plan of action, it should be just that. You should plan (and practice) what you would do in various situations. Your actions should become second nature so that you can act quickly and without having to think ahead of time. Most predators expect their potential victims to react in a certain way, such as to automatically comply with their wishes when threatened with a weapon or bodily harm. If you can instantly react physically, the suspect has to mentally process the unexpected and try to react. This takes time, (albeit probably seconds) and may allow you to escape.

Hemlon:
Secondly, I am not opposed to self-defense training. As a matter of fact, I used to take Krav Maga. But speaking personally, I feel safer with pepper spray that I did with just self-defense training.
I practice Krav Maga myself... have for a while (and it puts some of the other disciplines I've engaged in, Shotokan, Tai Kwon Do, etc., to shame).

I can see pepper spray as a supplement... however, in an emergency (which you probably learned in Krav, takes place instantly, and lasts for only seconds), I don't have to worry about rooting around in my pockets for my Krav, or leaving it at home, or having an empty/expired bottle of Krav...

leah:
Anyway, I guess my thinking is that if I have thought through some sort of response before an attack just like with an OOA or other emergency in the water, I will have a better chance of survival. One way or another, I don't want to be a vic without a plan. I always have my keys, pen or something in my hand any time any one approaches me or my hand in my pocket on the light switch.

You are correct in this thinking. But just as you wouldn't go diving without proper training, don't think you can effectively defend yourself without training. I cannot urge you strongly enough, especially given the work environment you describe, to seek some good self defense training. I'm not saying you have to spend 8 hours a week in a karate dojo like I do, but you should get some training. And, as a previous post pointed out, make sure it's from a good instructor. It could save your life. Good luck.

Mountain Dog

Both self-defense training and pepper spray are good to have. There are some really good pepper sprays out there, especially those designed to stop grizzly bears. Plus with no wind, some have a range of 30 feet.

I am officially a student of Shotokan. I do this mostly as a fitness program. Our instructor(s) though have a background in other forms of martial arts and pass these techniques on to us also. I have only been threateded once since starting martial arts about 15 years ago. The situation was easily resolved even though it happened in an elevator. The proper application of strikes, pressure points and technique can do wonders.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom