What would you do if attacked?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Judo does wonders:eyebrow: ......even though it has been a while, they say it's like riding a bike....:D

Your car key carried in the webbing between your forefinger and middle finger is a lethal weapon, especially to the eyes.

CBulla:
Have been and fought back abruptly and very unexpectedly. Stay aware of surroundings, anticipate what you can, and do not be shy to do something because its not part of some 'rules of engagement' crap that percieved chivalry and fairy tales tell us. :)

Very good thoughts. I've had two "near misses". The first was driving west on I-10 on my way home from diving one night. It was about midnight, on a Sunday, and the interstate was deserted. I was driving the speed limit, and all of a sudden there were blue lights flashing behind me- I was in the middle of nowhere. Something just wasn't "right" about it, so I slowed down, put my hazards on, and drove to the next exit, where I knew there were a couple 24 hour gas stations and fast food places right off the interstate. It was about 15 miles to the exit. The car stayed behind me the whole time with flashers on... I started thinking "this cop is gonna be P****D." I also realized though that he (or she) would have a mother/sister/wife etc., and might be understanding if I just explained that as a woman traveling alone at night I was hesitant to pull over in the middle of nowhere. So, I turn off the exit and drive to a 24 hour gas station, guess what- the car does not follow me into the parking lot, the dash light turns off (it wasn't a light bar- which was one clue that something was "off") and keeps going. A few days later I read about a rash of rapes occuring on that section of I10, the guys MO was to impersonate a law enforcement over and pull you over in the middle of the night. Go figure.

Mountain Dog:
No need to be insulting here. If you want to live by statistics, then this whole discussion is moot, because statistically, most people will never be attacked. I'm talking about real world events, not mathematical formulas.

Why are you opposed to self defense training? As part of my self defense training I was hit in the face with pepper spray. It stings like ****, but it did more to encourage rage than to incapacitate.

Mountain Dog

First off, no insults were issued.

Secondly, I am not opposed to self-defense training. As a matter of fact, I used to take Krav Maga. But speaking personally, I feel safer with pepper spray that I did with just self-defense training.

Your milage may vary.

shellim123:
Judo does wonders:eyebrow: ......even though it has been a while, they say it's like riding a bike....:D
Well, yes.. that and some guys who wrestled in HS (like I did) or karate... etc.. I did not like looking down the barrel of a shiny .38 and was glad to see its weilder (trained professional gov't issue) unsure of himself and obviously adrenaline rushed.. that incident disolved. It' was the big fella at the night club I worked at who thought that I was going to be a push over for his additional 100# who learned about close proximity entanglement with the tazmanian-Colin. Without writing a diatribe, the short story is he took a 5D cell mag to the groin, had his right hand thumb bent back to the wrist as I removed his hand from my shoulder and as he bent down I put the mag light across the side of his head. Keep in mind, I'm 5'4".. he was 6'6"ish - about as tall as the average bouncer at the club I worked at. After that, it was 9 months before I had any issues with club patrons.

chickdiver:
I'm sure lots of people will beat me up for this one, but....

I have a Concealed Carry Permit- and I carry- and I know (quite well) how to use it. I fully support Florida's "castle doctrine" and it's recent expansions.

Exactly! In my county, it is a "shall issue" area. That means, if you ask, have no criminal record, you can receive a concealed carry permit. For the last couple of years, CC permits have been escalating. The stats are that it's like 10 to 1 women.

However, I strongly recommend to all people, especially those who are carrying for protection to get personal training from a gun shop or NRA certified instructor.

An H&K .45 USP makes for a good decision maker....:D

CBulla:
Well, yes.. that and some guys who wrestled in HS (like I did) or karate... etc.. I did not like looking down the barrel of a shiny .38 and was glad to see its weilder (trained professional gov't issue) unsure of himself and obviously adrenaline rushed.. that incident disolved. It' was the big fella at the night club I worked at who thought that I was going to be a push over for his additional 100# who learned about close proximity entanglement with the tazmanian-Colin. Without writing a diatribe, the short story is he took a 5D cell mag to the groin, had his right hand thumb bent back to the wrist as I removed his hand from my shoulder and as he bent down I put the mag light across the side of his head. Keep in mind, I'm 5'4".. he was 6'6"ish - about as tall as the average bouncer at the club I worked at. After that, it was 9 months before I had any issues with club patrons.

Note to self....Don't mess with Colin:D

chickdiver:
I'm sure lots of people will beat me up for this one, but....

I have a Concealed Carry Permit- and I carry- and I know (quite well) how to use it. I fully support Florida's "castle doctrine" and it's recent expansions.

Well I for one won't :). I used to carry all the time and have even had to draw my weapon before, fortunately that was all it took. Unfortunately I've become lazy and don't carry anymore. Being a pretty big guy and now living where I do I just don't see the need. But I applaud you for doing so.

If you do decide to carry a firearm, pepper spray, or any other kind of weapon you do need to make sure you can get to it quickly. Having pepper spray in your hands anytime you consider it to be a danger situation is a great step to take. Also don't forget that things you have on your person can be used as weapons as well. I have one lady friend that has put rolls of quarters in the bottom of her purse and I can guarantee you if she swings that thing at you it is going to really hurt. Weapons don't have to be "conventional".

Also, I mentioned earlier about taking a self defense course. I should have been more clear about making sure you're taking one that is worth your time. I've seen people go through these courses, be taught complete BS, and think they are safe. Watch the following video, if that's the crap they are teaching, you're wasting your time. If you try to use that crap, you're going to get very hurt.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/476930/self_defense_trick_for_girl/

Spratman:
Exactly! In my county, it is a "shall issue" area. That means, if you ask, have no criminal record, you can receive a concealed carry permit. For the last couple of years, CC permits have been escalating. The stats are that it's like 10 to 1 women.

However, I strongly recommend to all people, especially those who are carrying for protection to get personal training from a gun shop or NRA certified instructor.

An H&K .45 USP makes for a good decision maker....:D
In Florida you are required to take a firearms course prior to applying for the permit.

H&K makes nice weapons, but pricey, I like my Glock .45 (hubby has one too), and you can't go wrong with a 1911.

CBulla:

Well done. This is exactly my point. With the right knowledge and practiced skills anyone can overcome an attacker twice their own size...regardless of how that attacker has hold of you. Knowing how to bring someone to his knees just by applying fingertip pressure to specific points on his body is worth a gallon of pepper spray.

Mountain Dog

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom